BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] FF Thread

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed he is.

Also, love him or hate him, he heads up one of the longest running continually active Rovers supporters groups there is, which to my mind (though not necessarily everyone's) makes him an obvious choice for the FF.

But "democratically" elected by 10 or 15 others?

I don't think the fans forum works in that way Don.

It started off with a few fans that had an interest in open dialogue with the club on matters non football related, it's was never a democratically elected group, nor do they have to be in my book.

Could have changed now though, I'm not sure.

I don't think the fans forum works in that way Don.

It started off with a few fans that had an interest in open dialogue with the club on matters non football related, it's was never a democratically elected group, nor do they have to be in my book.

Could have changed now though, I'm not sure.

Yup you're right. I do have knowledge of its genesis.

In this present environment of more than one or two supporters groups perhaps its time that it became more of a democratically elected body?

It's a clique now

Obviously I can't agree with you there 'AggyBlue'... the FF is a wide spread of fans from a mix of supporter groups, non-supporter groups, age, race, sex, etc

Without getting into a point scoring / mud slinging episode on here, I would be interested to know what lead you to the conclusion that the FF is "a clique now"?

:rover:

Without getting into a point scoring / mud slinging episode on here, I would be interested to know what lead you to the conclusion that the FF is "a clique now"?

It's a closed shop. The only way you can get on the FF is if the current committee members vote you on.

It's a closed shop. The only way you can get on the FF is if the current committee members vote you on.

One of the points you raise is correct and one is incorrect. It isn't a closed in terms of the fact that ANYBODY with an interest in Blackburn Rovers can come along to the agenda setting meeting and anybody who is a current season ticket holder can apply to join the FF.

Where you are correct is that the current members discuss any application to join, with a decision made upon the interests of the forum not if they are a drinking mate of 'A' or sit next to 'B' at matches.

Where the FF are different from the AG (I use them as an example because A) they have a membership and committee and B) meet with the club) is that the membership of the FF means you are also on the committee, so who else could realistically vote on an annual basis for the three elected positions? An alternative could be that there is a wider membership of the FF with 10/15 of that membership meeting with the club when we have our meetings? This would allow a greater spread of people to stand and vote for the annually elected positions, keep the discussions 'fresh' and allow people for the FF to be more representative of the fanbase in terms of numbers.

I should say that the text above in bold is not something that has been discussed by the forum (or not that I'm aware of) and is, at this stage, purely the discussion of a hypothetical situation.

One of the points you raise is correct and one is incorrect. It isn't a closed in terms of the fact that ANYBODY with an interest in Blackburn Rovers can come along to the agenda setting meeting and anybody who is a current season ticket holder can apply to join the FF.

Where you are correct is that the current members discuss any application to join, with a decision made upon the interests of the forum not if they are a drinking mate of 'A' or sit next to 'B' at matches.

Where the FF are different from the AG (I use them as an example because A) they have a membership and committee and B) meet with the club) is that the membership of the FF means you are also on the committee, so who else could realistically vote on an annual basis for the three elected positions? An alternative could be that there is a wider membership of the FF with 10/15 of that membership meeting with the club when we have our meetings? This would allow a greater spread of people to stand and vote for the annually elected positions, keep the discussions 'fresh' and allow people for the FF to be more representative of the fanbase in terms of numbers.

I should say that the text above in bold is not something that has been discussed by the forum (or not that I'm aware of) and is, at this stage, purely the discussion of a hypothetical situation.

How did you get on the FF?

Invited? Knew someone? Had good credentials?

Not a criticism just curious.

One of the points you raise is correct and one is incorrect.

Fernhurst, I've known people that have tried to get on the FF and been knocked back.

Hence IMO the FF is a clique:-

Definition of clique
noun
a small close-knit group of people who do not readily allow others to join them
I'm not trying to cause any hassle, it's just my opinion.

I've only taken over as Chairperson very recently (last month in fact) so can't really comment on previous decisions made however without knowing the story, on both sides, its impossible to comment. I'd still stand by my original comment that the FF is not a clique and in fact have people who are currently interested in joining the forum if/when places become available which brings me round to when new members are admitted to the FF.

At the last meeting, there were about 19/20 members (I don't have the minutes to hand as I'm at the office), and I suppose a question that could be raised is how many people can you have round the table with 3 or 4 members of staff from the club who can contribute in a meaningful and constructive manner and on a regular basis? IMO the FF (in its current format) has to many members and this is something we may need to look at over the period of the coming months and given that somebody has to leave before a vacancy becomes available, it means that just because somebody applies it doesn't automatically mean that they are going to be accepted onto the forum - which relates back to my previous point about it not being a clique, closed shop or whatever tag you wish to give it...

The above may or may not change your opinion of the forum, however I hope it does go some way to explaining it.

• Backroom

Topic at hand please folk I know which direction this will head in if it carries on

If you want to discuss the FF do it in another thread please

How did you get on the FF?

Invited? Knew someone? Had good credentials?

Not a criticism just curious.

I joined at a period in time when for various reasons the forum was at a low point...I should also point out that at the same time, a few fellow members of the now defunct BRISA also joined although don't ask me who as it was a long time ago and can't remember exactly who.

:tu:

Topic at hand please folk I know which direction this will head in if it carries on

If you want to discuss the FF do it in another thread please

You must know something I don't? :huh:

Is it possible to pop the posts onto the FF thread?

Hopefully this thread can be used to discuss aspects of the Fans Forum (other than the pre-meets) that supporters have questions and/or opinions about... I'll try to answer direct questions when I can and hopefully it can stimulate a sensible discussion around the FF.

So what is the criteria for selection to the FF?

How did the Ewood Blues person get on?

What criteria did you meet re selection to the FF membership? Were you aware of any other ST holders applying at the same time as you?

If you don't mind me saying SAR it sounds more than a passing interest, but anyway here goes...

The ONLY hard and fast stipulation (and I believe it has always been this way) is that you need to be a current STH to apply to join the FF.

There is more than one person from 'Ewood Blues' on the FF - they attended a few (can't remember exactly how many) agenda setting meetings, applied to join, it was discussed by the three people in elected positions, they joined.

Given this is the only stipulation "The ONLY hard and fast stipulation (and I believe it has always been this way) is that you need to be a current STH to apply to join the FF" then I guess I must have met that... As previously mentioned, I know there were a few fellow BRISA members who joined at the same time as me and I guess they to must have been STH's as well.

Hope that helps answer your questions...

The FF doesn't have a membership (as such) that it represents - what we do is bring issues to the attention of the club that supporters (whether they are corporate, standard STH, walk-on, non attendees, etc) bring to us in addition to any issues that the committee itself wishes to raise. Not every issue will be put on the agenda as an item - we may be able to put the person in direct contact with the relevant member of staff to resolve their issue. Other issues may get bundled together in 'any other business' (AOB) and some will get their own point on the agenda...

Once again, I hope that helps answer your question.

Given this is the only stipulation "The ONLY hard and fast stipulation (and I believe it has always been this way) is that you need to be a current STH to apply to join the FF"

And a passport.... and factor 30..... and immodium ..... Oh and some fake tan so that the rest of your face blends in with your nose. ^_^

Archived