BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Vacancy For Volunteer Trainee Journalist At BRFCS

Guest Wen Y Hu

Guest Wen Y Hu

BRFCS invites applications for a position as volunteer trainee journalist to contribute to the BRFCS news site, which is about to be revamped and expanded. Details are on the front page here.

Please feel free to ask any questions of a general nature in this thread. Further details are available from myself via email (see the advert) or from Kamy, our chief reporter, via PM or twitter.

It's a voluntary role (no set hours in return for no pay), designed to give somebody wanting to get into the industry a helping hand up. It's what most organisations would call an "unpaid intern", but the legalities surrounding unpaid interns are complex, hence "volunteer". We'd love to get BRFCS to a position where we could pay people, but the truth is it's a community project where everybody contributes as much or as little of their time out of the goodness of their hearts.

This is our way of trying to give something back, we don't make money, but we do have an amazing amount of both experience and contacts behind us and is we can use that to launch somebodies career, then all the better.

• Backroom

While it's not the career I'm looking at, nor will I be applying, I would like to thank the site on behalf of whoever the successful applicant will be. Such an offer is tremendously generous and I commend those involved for utilising their experience in such a positive way. Especially in the current climate re: unemployment.

Well done BRFCS.

• Backroom

Aye, this is a great opportunity for someone. Unfortunately I'm not anywhere near Blackburn area and in a full-time job, so couldn't make things such as press conferences, interviews etc at short notice... but would definitely encourage people to apply for this. Experience is everything.

Can i just tell you what an incredible opportunity this is? My daughter, as many of you know, works for BBC sport and when applying for jobs and her uni post grad course, it was the fact that she had worked unpaid at Rovers, at Radio Manchester, Tower fm etc that got her openings. If you are in any way thinking of a career in journalism it is vital that you get as much experience of working in as many different situations as possible, especially nowadays when that bit of experience might be the thing that swings an application and interview in your favour.

Guest Wen Y Hu

There were one or two issues yesterday apparently with the "editors" email address given on the front page, but it is working fine now.

My candidate is well known and is a little under-employed at the moment. Needs training and learning from professionals. Told me he is a Rovers Supporter,but is that essential?

He can often be contacted in Ribchester and his name is Paul Agnew.

I will get my coat.

Can i just tell you what an incredible opportunity this is? My daughter, as many of you know, works for BBC sport and when applying for jobs and her uni post grad course, it was the fact that she had worked unpaid at Rovers, at Radio Manchester, Tower fm etc that got her openings. If you are in any way thinking of a career in journalism it is vital that you get as much experience of working in as many different situations as possible, especially nowadays when that bit of experience might be the thing that swings an application and interview in your favour.

Hear hear and the same goes for all the other posts congratulating Kamy and Wen. My father is a fairly successful journalist and according to him it is all about networking and experience so this is a great chance for someone.

I don't know much about journalism but I am currently studying for a degree in IT and have discovered that qualifications just don't do it - experience and qualifications are both needed these days and experience is definitely the most important. Someone is going to get an excellent chance here, I would have jumped at this a few years back.

Speaking of journo's, anyone know what's become of roberto policano and 67splitscreen? Always enjoyed their posts. Also not seen rebelmswar in a fair while.

I stand to be corrected but I thought rebel was serving in the US military so may not be in a position to post if on active service.

Speaking of journo's, anyone know what's become of roberto policano and 67splitscreen? Always enjoyed their posts. Also not seen rebelmswar in a fair while.

3 excellent contributers without a doubt.

Roberto stated an intention to have a pre/post match drink with me but I guess relegation scuppered that one.

Reb might have gone cos he was set upon and victimised by the mods union......... simply cos they could imo. :glare:

3 excellent contributers without a doubt.

Roberto stated an intention to have a pre/post match drink with me but I guess relegation scuppered that one.

Reb might have gone cos he was set upon and victimised by the mods union......... simply cos they could imo. :glare:

Same as smithy and Phil ?

Same as smithy and Phil ?

Who knows Abbs? People aren't chained to the site but they were all excellent contributers in their own way. Maybe not 'liberated' enough in their philosophy for some in the board loop but there's nothing new in that is there?

Exactly Tom. I don't want to repeat confidential messages but I'm sure Reb wouldn't mind me quoting a small sentence from one of his pm's to me regarding board moderation... bear in mind this was a couple of years back when one or two fresh faced newbies were throwing their weight around as is normally the case (you being an exception to the rule btw) ..... "I am sick of them too; they all seem to be like 12 year old boys who have discovered their first erection."

Perfick... And as you rightly say a fantastic contributor. ^_^

Archived