BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] DJ Campbell is here next season too.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not having a pop at you but who might these strikers be that we can get for less wages?

This is where a good scouting network can pay dividends and something the club should prioritise. I saw a player (Paddy Madden) playing against Sheffield United in the League One play off. He came over from Ireland where he had a decent goalscoring record but flopped at Carlisle. This season he has scored 22 goals for Yoevil, he is 23 and looks a decent prospect. Surely this is the way forward for us rather than paying ridiculous wages to players like Campbell.

This is where a good scouting network can pay dividends and something the club should prioritise. I saw a player (Paddy Madden) playing against Sheffield United in the League One play off. He came over from Ireland where he had a decent goalscoring record but flopped at Carlisle. This season he has scored 22 goals for Yoevil, he is 23 and looks a decent prospect. Surely this is the way forward for us rather than paying ridiculous wages to players like Campbell.

I watch Yeovil a lot, and Paddy Madden is certainly a talent - quick, eye for goal, causes defenders problems all day long with his work-rate and pushing up to the last man. He's been an absolute bargin for Yeovil at £10,000 from Carlisle - and probably worth at least 1 Million now after being top goalscorer in League One. The test will be if can he cut it in the Championship, as if he doesn't go up with Yeovil - someone in the Championship will snap him up...

Personally, as I'm going to Wembley for the play-off final, I hope Yeovil get promotion and he stays where he is. The whole feeling about Huish Park is fantastic, and I've enjoyed seeing them acheive their dream. Its quite literally the polar opposite of being a Blackburn Rovers fan, which has just left me so sick and embarrassed that I just expect the worst now. At least Yeovil has given me an escape, and I will be supporting them (in terms of tickets, shirts etc) rather than give my money to owners who intend to ruin our beloved club.

I'll still be a Rovers fan, but the love is slowly dying as each day passes as I don't see Venkys making any decisions to sort the every increasing mess that's being created. The sooner they sell, the better.

2 things: remember seeing him at Carlisle and he looked very ordinary to say the least. Didn't twig it was the same player till you mentioned it.

Secondly though you are bang on about a good scout network - it's the way forward. That was something I was hoping under Appleton we'd start to get right, scouting players and reducing the amount of duds we brought in. Never fear we'll be back to shebby's contacts and expertise this summer though...

2 things: remember seeing him at Carlisle and he looked very ordinary to say the least. Didn't twig it was the same player till you mentioned it.

Secondly though you are bang on about a good scout network - it's the way forward. That was something I was hoping under Appleton we'd start to get right, scouting players and reducing the amount of duds we brought in. Never fear we'll be back to shebby's contacts and expertise this summer though...

His record at Carlisle wasn't too good but that can happen. Jordan Rhodes pretty much failed at Ipswich but flourished at Huddersfield. I used him as an example that there are good, hungry players out there but you need to look for them.

His record at Carlisle wasn't too good but that can happen. Jordan Rhodes pretty much failed at Ipswich but flourished at Huddersfield. I used him as an example that there are good, hungry players out there but you need to look for them.

Jordan Rhodes failed at Ipswich is a bit harsh. He never started a game for them!

That tells me that Jim Magilton and Roy Kean failed more.

Jordan Rhodes failed at Ipswich is a bit harsh. He never started a game for them!

That tells me that Jim Magilton and Roy Kean failed more.

Jordan's form at Ipswich wasn't good. I saw him play for Rochdale (I think) at Accrington and I thought that would be his level. Moving to Huddersfield and the service from Pilkington and Roberts got him up and running.

Most players would need a month or two and a run of games to settle at a new club. Maybe longer at a hugely unsettled club like the Rovers this season.

However Campbell just did not perform for us this season or contribute and rarely looked like a decent player. Can't see him as a productive partner for Rhodes both trying to get on the end of things and if he's the best we can get should Rhodes leave I would be a tad concerned.

To be honest I think part of it is that Carlisle aren't very good! And they certainly didn't play to his strengths. The only strikers who've done well there are power houses like Zoko and Pericard. Graham did ok, but you'd never have thought he'd have become a Premier League player there. It shows how important it is playing the right tactics to suit the players you have actually is.

I don't think we are in a position to take a gamble on a player with no track record at Championship level when it seems very likely that Rhodes will be off and we will be relying on that player to be our main goal scoring threat.

Paddy Madden has done well at the level he's at but I notice that he's in a fairly lengthy goal scoring drought at the moment and didn't impress against Sheffield Utd.

Not having a pop at you but who might these strikers be that we can get for less wages?

Huddersfield have found 2 better ones this season for less money and less wages (Vaughan and Beckford), Charlie Austin is on less wages. Thats 2 seconds work, before you start looking at foreign markets, lower leagues, reserves at Premier League, etc..in fact i think Yakubu was cheaper and on lower wages.

Huddersfield have found 2 better ones this season for less money and less wages (Vaughan and Beckford), Charlie Austin is on less wages. Thats 2 seconds work, before you start looking at foreign markets, lower leagues, reserves at Premier League, etc..in fact i think Yakubu was cheaper and on lower wages.

I don't know what wages Yakubu was on and, in saying 'you think', suggests that you don't either. Players from lower leagues, abroad, reserves etc are gambles and we aren't in a position to punt.

We have to limit risk and whilst every transfer has an element of risk it can be mitigated to an extent by bringing in players who have demonstrated that they can perform at the required level.

Didn't Vaughan cost around £1.5m? His return this season is ok but he's very injury prone. Jermaine Beckford was an expensive signing and hasn't pulled up any trees to say the least.

I don't know what wages Yakubu was on and, in saying 'you think', suggests that you don't either. Players from lower leagues, abroad, reserves etc are gambles and we aren't in a position to punt.

We have to limit risk and whilst every transfer has an element of risk it can be mitigated to an extent by bringing in players who have demonstrated that they can perform at the required level.

Didn't Vaughan cost around £1.5m? His return this season is ok but he's very injury prone. Jermaine Beckford was an expensive signing and hasn't pulled up any trees to say the least.

I'd argue that all 3 players i named are better all-round players than DJ and have shown they can compete at Championship Level (& above). Im willing to be proven wrong, but Campbell is poor from what I have seen.

I watch Yeovil a lot, and Paddy Madden is certainly a talent - quick, eye for goal, causes defenders problems all day long with his work-rate and pushing up to the last man. He's been an absolute bargin for Yeovil at £10,000 from Carlisle - and probably worth at least 1 Million now after being top goalscorer in League One. The test will be if can he cut it in the Championship, as if he doesn't go up with Yeovil - someone in the Championship will snap him up...

Personally, as I'm going to Wembley for the play-off final, I hope Yeovil get promotion and he stays where he is. The whole feeling about Huish Park is fantastic, and I've enjoyed seeing them acheive their dream. Its quite literally the polar opposite of being a Blackburn Rovers fan, which has just left me so sick and embarrassed that I just expect the worst now. At least Yeovil has given me an escape, and I will be supporting them (in terms of tickets, shirts etc) rather than give my money to owners who intend to ruin our beloved club.

I'll still be a Rovers fan, but the love is slowly dying as each day passes as I don't see Venkys making any decisions to sort the every increasing mess that's being created. The sooner they sell, the better.

Pelio, your real name wouldn't be 'Jos' by any chance would it?

Archived