BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon 2013

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul please explain England are rubbish at cricket ??

#2 in test and odi .

What I wrote was this:

There are plenty of sports at which England have been, and arguably still are, rubbish, including football, cricket, tennis and cycling depending on how old you are and which decade(s) you chose to look at.

I'm not a particular cricket fan, and I had to look this up earlier as I only have a vague memory of it,

but as I understand it the 1980s and then to a lesser extent the 1990s were low periods in English cricket history punctuated by some great wins and great players but overall these were not good decades for the team.

Henman aside when was the last time we had a great English tennis player? I love watching Laura Robson for the player and person she is but general opinion seems she is potential at the moment. After her?

Norbert's point was Scotland has been (presumably he means always) gash at every other sport something which is patently wrong. The current England cricket team are clearly very successful; my point was in sport success is cyclical, at times countries have great teams and individuals, at other times they are poor.

Therefore it depends which decade(s) one looks at. Currently Scotland has no decent F1 drivers, as far as I know, but Jackie Stewart and Jim Clark are examples of when the country did have great drivers.

Yes, forgot him as I only heard of him on Sunday when my youngest was bemoaning Hamilton's luck and then mentioned Di Resta.

How come all the tennis experts only come out to play for 2 weeks a year

What I wrote was this:

There are plenty of sports at which England have been, and arguably still are, rubbish, including football, cricket, tennis and cycling depending on how old you are and which decade(s) you chose to look at.

I'm not a particular cricket fan, and I had to look this up earlier as I only have a vague memory of it,

but as I understand it the 1980s and then to a lesser extent the 1990s were low periods in English cricket history punctuated by some great wins and great players but overall these were not good decades for the team.

Henman aside when was the last time we had a great English tennis player? I love watching Laura Robson for the player and person she is but general opinion seems she is potential at the moment. After her?

Norbert's point was Scotland has been (presumably he means always) gash at every other sport something which is patently wrong. The current England cricket team are clearly very successful; my point was in sport success is cyclical, at times countries have great teams and individuals, at other times they are poor.

Therefore it depends which decade(s) one looks at. Currently Scotland has no decent F1 drivers, as far as I know, but Jackie Stewart and Jim Clark are examples of when the country did have great drivers.

Yes you mentioned decades but you said ...arguably STILL ARE....

That refers to being rubbish now .

Excellent sweeping generalisation Abs. I'm British first, Scottish second. I know many thousands the same (if you'd like to meet them, a visit to Ibrox would be a good start).

As far as Tennis goes, I'm as about as much as an all year round fan as you can get. I was up til 3am watching the US Open final, for example.

How come all the tennis experts only come out to play for 2 weeks a year

Yes you mentioned decades but you said ...arguably STILL ARE....

That refers to being rubbish now .

Whatever you like ABBEY. I'm not suggesting the English cricket team are rubbish but I'm sure you'll carry on interpreting everything to suit your views. I'd argue, as my example showed, the tennis and probably the football is not that good either.

Guest Norbert

The England cricket team are good. Even the South Africans! Football, yeah, pretty average but still a lot better than Scotland (apart from the 'Scottish' Jordan Rhodes of course). The thing is with this debate, us non-Scots always have the trump card, the one person that would always end such a debate amongst us lot:

steve_kean_2090522b.jpg

Straight outta Glasgow, it is the K-bomb :D.

DelPo is being an absolute heart-merchant at the moment. Even on one and a half legs he's giving Novak a monumental test. Apparently now the longest SF in the history of the tournament.

Guest Norbert

Good lad. Knacker him out so Mr. Charisma has a chance. Providing he doesn't lose to Mr. Kurwa or whatever he is called.

Glad Murray is through, although missed it all sat in traffic on the M6.

Djokovic is a brilliant player and must be favourite, but if Murray gets away to a good start I can see it being his title.

I can't help but think that, unde Lendl, Murrau has a strong game plan. Get that break and win your service games. Don't panic if you go a set or two behind.

Fingers crossed, Scottish or British, it would be good to see someone from 'these isles' win the thing.

Glad Murray is through, although missed it all sat in traffic on the M6.

Djokovic is a brilliant player and must be favourite, but if Murray gets away to a good start I can see it being his title.

He showed signs tonight of brilliance, Who knows ?

Hats off to Djokovic and Del Potro - longest semi in Wimbledon history and one of the best matches I have seen. Del Potro's forehand is brutal - I felt sorry for the tennis balls. Hopefully Djokovic is still knackered on Sunday !

Archived