BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

6 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

In other words, playing the game situation and playing proper Test cricket

You're right, the other lot will take their time, get their heads down, probably grind out 350 - 400 and build an innings lead that will effectively win the series. This isn't being "boring", or lacking in entertainment, it's a tough unsentimental approach and how this form of the game should be played.

Genuine England fans do want us to win and don't care how we achieve it - especially in an Ashes series.

The Aussies will try to bat us out of the game in their first innings so will bat throughout today and see where that takes them. They will have no interest in a declaration, nevermind what the weather does today or over the remainder of the game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The Aussies will try to bat us out of the game in their first innings so will bat throughout today and see where that takes them. They will have no interest in a declaration, nevermind what the weather does today or over the remainder of the game.

Which instead of declaring is exactly what England should have done at Edgbaston. Pile up the runs, make the game unloseable, demoralise the opposition, and see what happens. It’s a five day game so what’s the rush.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 47er said:

We'd have to be disappointed with that total wouldn't we?

Lets see what score they get first before we judge our score. 

14 hours ago, 47er said:

The problem with Bazball, and I've said it before, is that when it works out as it did today it hands the initiative to the other side in two ways.

1) we score very quickly but but taking risks means losing wickets regularly so we didn't get a big score.

2) the other side then have as much time as they could possibly wish for to make a big score for themselves taking no risks, and plenty of time to get us out a second time and bat again.

If we are losing wickets we should consolidate, not take any risks and try patiently to build a score we can defend, not be all back in the pavilion well before close of play on the first day.

Chaddy says the crowd wouldn't like this approach but surely, above all else, the crowd wants us to win?

Yes everyone wants to win granted as I have said time after time

14 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Bazball is on trial. 

no its not a trial and that sort comment confirmed what I have said that you don't understand what Stokes and McCullum are actually saying to the players. Also you have been asked over 3 times about who you would replace Stokes and McCullum with, but every time you won't or refused to answer the basic and simple question. 

12 hours ago, RoverDom said:

I enjoy the front foot approach but when you've just lost a wicket or two why not ease off for few overs and build back into it? We seem to play into the momentum that the bowlers build up when they get a wicket. 

We did that when Ali and Root was at the crease actually. 

15 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

I know Anderson has a poor record against Australia especially in England but his performances this series are beyond poor. It would have been best for all concerned if he had like Alastair Cook a few years ago retired with grace and dignity and was given the send of at The Oval that his career deserved. He's not going to be a threat in India in the winter and next summer with what should be two routine home series we need to be looking at blooding bowlers for the next Ashes series not playing a 41-42 year old.

very harsh on Anderson who is the best test bowler in terms of wickets and games played. 

on these younger bowlers we should be picking? any suggestions who we should be looking at? I don't watch much of the county game these days

32 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

There is of course a balance. Labuschanges 5 off 44 (and counting) won't help attract new test cricket fans (and I say that as someone who can watch a Mark Selby safety battle) 

Now 7 off 66 - we’re getting into Thorburn territory here!

Edited by wilsdenrover

82 in 38 overs so far, no wickets lost, no risks taken and carefully building a score over a day or two or three that will shut England out and secure the series. I hate praising this lot but this is how to play pragmatic winning Test cricket 

Edited by jim mk2

37 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

There is of course a balance. Labuschanges 5 off 44 (and counting) won't help attract new test cricket fans (and I say that as someone who can watch a Mark Selby safety battle) 

7 runs off 74 balls. Boring watching. 

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

82 in 38 overs so far, no wickets lost, no risks taken and carefully building a score over a day or two or three that will shut England out and secure the series. I hate praising this lot but this is how to play pragmatic winning Test cricket 

and this approach is going to attract next generation of fans with all the T20 around now? its ain't. 

No risks taken. Blimey it makes Boycott era look entertaining. 

1 hour ago, ChrisyG said:

Labuschagne - 9 runs in 118 minutes 🥱

Yeah but that batting allowed Khawaja to bet loose and score at blistering rate of 1.8 an over. 

I understand it at the end of the day running down the clock. Come back in the morning and go for it. But that first session was dull as can be and they're still 50 runs short of England at the same stage.

• Like 2

Aussies should have targeted at least a 3 RPO rate, they have been too slow which would be ok but not when you start to lose wickets.

Khawaja is I must admit a bit of a chore to watch.

If we get Marsh and Smith cheaply we are in the driving seat, but a long way to go.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

They'll be queuing to get out, rather than queuing to get in, if it keeps up!

his batting was so negative and Australia are in negative mood again

51 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Yeah but that batting allowed Khawaja to bet loose and score at blistering rate of 1.8 an over. 

how exciting for the fans and attracting the new younger generation to test cricket. 

Aussies now 170 for 6 now

To be honest Chaddy, I'm happy with the Aussies being negative, it means they're scared. For as long as I've watched cricket they were the upbeat, aggressive team who scored at a high rate and pressured the opposition. To see them blocking and not scoring is great regardless of the entertainment value. And they're still losing wickets.

• Like 2

The Aussies have been pinned down. Showing the opposite: that too much defence in cricket can hurt you

The issue now is Smith. He can really press on with Starc and Cummins left to come in

Labuschagne had a stinking innings. One of the worst I have watched

England on top again. Need to keep our foot on their necks here

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

To be honest Chaddy, I'm happy with the Aussies being negative, it means they're scared. For as long as I've watched cricket they were the upbeat, aggressive team who scored at a high rate and pressured the opposition. To see them blocking and not scoring is great regardless of the entertainment value. And they're still losing wickets.

Aussies have never shown any attacking instincts today. England bowling well there

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

The Aussies have been pinned down. Showing the opposite: that too much defence in cricket can hurt you

The issue now is Smith. He can really press on with Starc and Cummins left to come in

Labuschagne had a stinking innings. One of the worst I have watched

England on top again. Need to keep our foot on their necks here

England have bowled very well today. Not bowled short apart from the odd short ball. 

Just tuned in to TMS and England have fought back well this afternoon - helps when I go away and do something useful instead

England need to win this match and square the series to justify Bazball - otherwise it's pointless

And another Bairstow wicketkeeping cock-up - if there's one player who's cost us the Ashes more than any other, it's him 

Edited by jim mk2

Another bore draw at Old Trafford vs a team who can’t bat.

This is effectively a day 8 pitch and it’s as boring and flat as when the Australians put on 300 last Wednesday. The pitch is that flat it nullifies our seam bowlers, who are good but don’t have real pace. So much so Bailey even tried spin. Our spinners are not up to county level and on a pitch that isn’t really spinning still bowled 70 overs. I’d maybe try and sign that young spinner from Kent.