BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers £54.5m in debt.

den

Yet there are many on this board who have already experienced times when rovers were in the lower divisions. When getting to division one as it was then called was just a pipe dream. I for one, no matter what division the team plays, will always support Rovers. I believe a genuine supporter will follow their club no matter the times it finds itself in.

I am one of those who saw us play much lower down the league to regular crowds of around 5,000 / 6,000 at one time. It was pretty grim back then make no mistake about it and the on-field entertainment was often very poor. Somewhat strangely however I felt a sense of belonging and was much prouder of the club than under the latest owners.

I could never have dreamed back then we would get up from the old third division, settle in the second, then get promoted to the top flight and go on and win it. Plus the cup successes, journeys to Europe and amazing players we have employed. Magical times for Rovers fans since the late 1980's.

I like most on here, will always support the Rovers. But I will be much happier when the problems experienced under the Venky's are a bleak and distant memory. In much the same way as I could not envisage ever doing so well, doing so badly and having so much trouble under the Venky's was also impossible to fully predict. Although many had their mis-givings, myself included when they announced themselves in such vulgar fashion, who could truly have imagined the ensuing carnage?

I dread to think what the next 20 years will hold for the club. I am pretty sure however it will get worse before it gets better.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet there are many on this board who have already experienced times when rovers were in the lower divisions. When getting to division one as it was then called was just a pipe dream. I for one, no matter what division the team plays, will always support Rovers. I believe a genuine supporter will follow their club no matter the times it finds itself in.

The difference then to now PAFELL was expectation, pride and people we could identify with good or bad.

Whoever they were, generally the best interests of the club could never be questioned.

We've moved on a tad since and I would wager that the vast majority of the 8,000 or so supporters from 1970 to 1990 are not only falling out of love with Rovers but falling out of love with the game in general. I'm certainly one of them but I'm sure that as with me, they'd move heaven and earth to sustain the future viability of the club if at all possible.

I am one of those who saw us play much lower down the league to regular crowds of around 5,000 / 6,000 at one time. It was pretty grim back then make no mistake about it and the on-field entertainment was often very poor. Somewhat strangely however I felt a sense of belonging and was much prouder of the club than under the latest owners.

I could never have dreamed back then we would get up from the old third division, settle in the second, then get promoted to the top flight and go on and win it. Plus the cup successes, journeys to Europe and amazing players we have employed. Magical times for Rovers fans since the late 1980's.

I like most on here, will always support the Rovers. But I will be much happier when the problems experienced under the Venky's are a bleak and distant memory. In much the same way as I could not envisage ever doing so well, doing so badly and having so much trouble under the Venky's was also impossible to fully predict. Although many had their mis-givings, myself included when they announced themselves in such vulgar fashion, who could truly have imagined the ensuing carnage?

I dread to think what the next 20 years will hold for the club. I am pretty sure however it will get worse before it gets better.

+1

Will never forget those times standing in either the Blackburn end or riverside. As a young lad I was often in the position of being able to afford a match ticket - but not transport to the ground. Lost count the times I walked from either Accrington or Great Harwood or wherever I lived at the time. Sometimes, I was able to get a life back. Yet reading on here that some folk won't attend matches because times are hard as they are now. but I was taught that it is when times are hard that you dig in deeper. Sadly today some folk see it as a reason to quit.

Ewood Park should be full of folk showing the world that although none Rovers supporters don't care about the club. Rovers fans do. I believe a full Ewood park would show the football world that Rovers fans still care about the club - even though venkys don't. Which would also play a little role, although minor in slowing the debt increase.

The difference then to now PAFELL was expectation, pride and people we could identify with good or bad.

Whoever they were, generally the best interests of the club could never be questioned.

We've moved on a tad since and I would wager that the vast majority of the 8,000 or so supporters from 1970 to 1990 are not only falling out of love with Rovers but falling out of love with the game in general. I'm certainly one of them but I'm sure that as with me, they'd move heaven and earth to sustain the future viability of the club if at all possible.

+1

The moment money came into the game it stopped being a sport and became a business. The reality is, this will not change. Although supporters haven't helped either. Most want success for their club NOW. Yet for that to happen, more and more money is thrown in. with the result being what we have today.

Football has changed and there is no going back to what it used to be. Therefore the supporters have to change as well. Expectations have to be lowered for a start. Just having a local club to support, no matter the division there in, is better than not having one at all. these days you can turn on the TV to watch the best players / teams. Years ago we had to be content with what we had in front of us.

My grandad always told me 'Pick your team wisely, because once you pick your stuck for life'

Well we are all stuck now :rover: so we will support them through whatever kean gets thrown at us and we will moan all week about how kean we are then turn up again the week after to do it all again.

My grandad always told me 'Pick your team wisely, because once you pick your stuck for life'

Well we are all stuck now :rover: so we will support them through whatever kean gets thrown at us and we will moan all week about how kean we are then turn up again the week after to do it all again.

Yup. somes up the life of a genuine supporter imo

Everything might not be cool, but if you don't support the players on the pitch then there really is no point to being a supporter.

I didn't say not to.

But let's not pretend that supporters can exert an influence on proceedings that outweighs 3 years of wanton vandalism.

Don't suppose your grandad said what to do if your club for life goes the way of the dodo? Cause mine certainly didn't.

How about reading some suitable poetry maj.....

I hold it true, whate'er befall;

I feel it, when I sorrow most;

'Tis better to have loved and lost

Than never to have loved at all.

Tennyson

Doesn't always work that way. Im a rovers fan because my dad was and he took me to games as a youngster. I grew up living in Wigan, so no way I'd have been a rovers fan if my dad wasn't.

So its all his fault :wstu:

Exactly. So your team picked you. ;)

I didn't say not to.

But let's not pretend that supporters can exert an influence on proceedings that outweighs 3 years of wanton vandalism.

Yep. The happy clapping circus seals (virtually handing Steve Kean the green light to continue) helped averted relegation didn't they.......................

maybe someone will do a new milk advert in a couple of years where we get a mention

OMG..The pain of that...thanks a lot!

Personally, I always resented it that the Johnny -come- lately -scousers should mock an old club, even when it wasn't my own.

You are right in that Blackburn Rovers will come to symbolise for all the desecration of a founder member.

My kids said that even Collymore referred to the killing a founder.This has all the hallmarks of the cavalry arriving too late..

OMG..The pain of that...thanks a lot!

Personally, I always resented it that the Johnny -come- lately -scousers should mock an old club, even when it wasn't my own.

You are right in that Blackburn Rovers will come to symbolise for all the desecration of a founder member.

My kids said that even Collymore referred to the killing a founder.This has all the hallmarks of the cavalry arriving too late..

There is no cavalry,

£54.5 mill in debt, who's back sack do you think that is in, money doesn't get lost, just moved to new owners

mORE THAN £54.5M NOW.

rEMEMBER, WE'RE LOSING £100K A DAY.

I am getting really annoyed at people just clutching at random figures..

Yes we lost 36m last year.. that does not mean we are loosing 100k a day today.. it covers allot of other expenses...

Lets go over some very simple figures for the simple people out there..

-8m - Rhodes

-3m - Best

-1.6m - Etuhu (yes we paid that much for him)

-2.3m - Bergs pay-off

-1m - Agent fees for kids from Portugal (Murphy etc not included here)

-6m (at least) - Extra in terms of wages (Givet, MGP, Murphy, Gomez, Olsson.. etc)

+10m - Player sales

========================

Total = -11.9m

That's before considering what we paid for for Appleton, Payoff for Kean, Payoff for Agnew, payoff for Murphy and Gomez (included in the figures as they are before July 1st), backroom staff (black et al)... and before considering the 1.4m profit in terms of player transfers this season..

I wonder how much we are also getting in terms of wages covered by insurance (Best, Rochina, Robinson, Etuhu all will fall under the serious injury bracket and probably 4 of our top 8 earners).. I wonder if we can even have insurance on Dunn these days.. his no claims discount must me heavy in the negative by now.. :)

I am not saying things are wonderful, we are still stuffed but spouting extreme rubbish figures isn't going to help our cause long term (new owners for a start).. yes we are still loosing lots of money but not even close to the 100k per day hilarity you are talking about...

By my calculations we are shy 2-8m (yes a big range but who knows what has happened) of the FFP target of an 8m loss for the season (so a 10-16m PA loss per season).

The Times quote of 10m in fines IF we are promoted may be correct IF we are charged 100% for overall losses which will not happen as we are in profit in terms of player transfers (the key factor) THIS season (which is the only one that counts)... and there is the clause which talks about attempts to reduce wage bill which we MUST of covered by now (Givet, MGP, Gomes, Murphy, Olsson, Vukcevic, Formica, Bentley, Stewart, CKR, DJ, Jones, Rekik etc which all count)...

I am getting really annoyed at people just clutching at random figures..

Yes we lost 36m last year.. that does not mean we are loosing 100k a day today.. it covers allot of other expenses...

Lets go over some very simple figures for the simple people out there..

-8m - Rhodes

-3m - Best

-1.6m - Etuhu (yes we paid that much for him)

-2.3m - Bergs pay-off

-1m - Agent fees for kids from Portugal (Murphy etc not included here)

-6m (at least) - Extra in terms of wages (Givet, MGP, Murphy, Gomez, Olsson.. etc)

+10m - Player sales

========================

Total = -11.9m

That's before considering what we paid for for Appleton, Payoff for Kean, Payoff for Agnew, payoff for Murphy and Gomez (included in the figures as they are before July 1st), backroom staff (black et al)... and before considering the 1.4m profit in terms of player transfers this season..

I wonder how much we are also getting in terms of wages covered by insurance (Best, Rochina, Robinson, Etuhu all will fall under the serious injury bracket and probably 4 of our top 8 earners).. I wonder if we can even have insurance on Dunn these days.. his no claims discount must me heavy in the negative by now.. :)

I am not saying things are wonderful, we are still stuffed but spouting extreme rubbish figures isn't going to help our cause long term (new owners for a start).. yes we are still loosing lots of money but not even close to the 100k per day hilarity you are talking about...

By my calculations we are shy 2-8m (yes a big range but who knows what has happened) of the FFP target of an 8m loss for the season (so a 10-16m PA loss per season).

The Times quote of 10m in fines IF we are promoted may be correct IF we are charged 100% for overall losses which will not happen as we are in profit in terms of player transfers (the key factor) THIS season (which is the only one that counts)... and there is the clause which talks about attempts to reduce wage bill which we MUST of covered by now (Givet, MGP, Gomes, Murphy, Olsson, Vukcevic, Formica, Bentley, Stewart, CKR, DJ, Jones, Rekik etc which all count)...

That's made me feel better

NOT

That's made me feel better

NOT

Sorry mate.. and I forgot to mention we will loose a further 8m next season due to reduced parachute payments.. but if we get promoted we are fine (if the muppet crew keep funding us to cover debt).. or if we sell the club and write off debts (by some miracle) we are fine.. or someone challenges the league authorities.. or aliens invade, plague of locusts, end of the world lark..

Did I forget to also mention we don't have a finance director when we should be working out our finances for the January transfer window..

Archived