BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jimmy Hill won Rovers the Premier League!

I didn't realise that was the point ratio. That's a very good contrary argument.

I'd just understood it that cantona was in the best form of his career. He had been made French captain prior to the incident and subsequent ban. He never played for France again

I think the following season when Man U chased down and caught Keegan's Newcastle, United won a lot of games 1-0 or 2-1 with the winner scored by Cantona (including the game they won when they got battered at St James Park). I think that run of form created the argument "We would have won the title last year if we would have had him".

edit - look at Cantona's 1996 run in March here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995%E2%80%9396_Manchester_United_F.C._season )

Thanks Jimmy. :tu:

I guess you didn't like Villa, Norwich, Newcastle, Forest, Liverpool, or Leeds enough to let them win it.

It's garbage like this that are intended aggravate but just make me even more proud to be a :rover:

'Stories' like this are to be expected from a Manchester newspaper. Still deluded after 18 years.

The usual story peddled is that the only reason Rovers 'pipped' United to the title was because United 'blew it' at West Ham.

Their failure to beat West Ham on the final day of the season is portrayed as the one single reason why they didn't win the league title that season. Overlooking all the other games in which United dropped points over the course of the season as though they didn't count towards the end of season points tally.

It's really quite pathetic that approaching 20 years on and there are still people attempting to play down or discredit Rovers' success. That league win was far more deserved than United's Champions League win on penalties for example, but that never gets mentioned.

I know it's not winning the league, but the one against the Mancs that P's me off the most is when Grabbi took the ball off the clown and put it in the back of the net.

Never ever a foul, and Grabbi would have been a legend (well almost).

The one that got me the most was when Smith handballed in Fergie time for Saha to score (Think that's correct?). Didn't speak to anyone the rest of the day. Articles like this just make me more proud of what we achieved :)

I'm sure many Rovers players got grief near the touchline at some point during that season. If they had decided to jump into the crowd and kick off it would have been their fault.

Keith Andrews never lost his bottle, when he got lots of abuse!

We need the flowers bottle vid embedded right now :lol:

I would love someone to make video of the biased decisions made in favour of the big teams and against the small teams .It would make an excellent Christmas stocking filler. The best one I have ever seen against Rovers, was the season we were relegated from the Prem, first time around. I wondered that season, if it was pay back time for us daring to win the league? We were away at Charlton in a crucial six pointer. We sold our allocation of away tickets and the game was beamed back to Ewood I attended with my son, a crucial game and a strange feel, watching Rovers, away, at home!

About ten minute from the end, Ashley Ward broke in to box, their keeper and centre half sandwiched Ward and between them set him, six feet into the air. The fans at Ewood, as one screamed for the penalty. Amazingly the ref gave nothing and the game finished nil all.

That night on Match of the day, Alan Hansen's comments, word for word were. ' I feel sorry for the manager, the players and all the supporters, because, you will never see a clearer penalty, in your life'. I have to say, having watched football for over 40 years, I have never seen a stranger decision. I have blue and white blood, so may be biased, but does anyone else remember that one?

I would love someone to make video of the biased decisions made in favour of the big teams and against the small teams .It would make an excellent Christmas stocking filler. The best one I have ever seen against Rovers, was the season we were relegated from the Prem, first time around. I wondered that season, if it was pay back time for us daring to win the league? We were away at Charlton in a crucial six pointer. We sold our allocation of away tickets and the game was beamed back to Ewood I attended with my son, a crucial game and a strange feel, watching Rovers, away, at home!

About ten minute from the end, Ashley Ward broke in to box, their keeper and centre half sandwiched Ward and between them set him, six feet into the air. The fans at Ewood, as one screamed for the penalty. Amazingly the ref gave nothing and the game finished nil all.

That night on Match of the day, Alan Hansen's comments, word for word were. ' I feel sorry for the manager, the players and all the supporters, because, you will never see a clearer penalty, in your life'. I have to say, having watched football for over 40 years, I have never seen a stranger decision. I have blue and white blood, so may be biased, but does anyone else remember that one?

Can hardly call Charlton a big club but yes I was there and it was a terrible decision

Can never forget that.... but you've watered down your own point cos Charlton were hardly a big team were they?

"I've seen referees conned by Zola and Vialli' . I've seen Courteny in disguise down at the Valley. My God I had to turn my face away"**

** With respect to Leonard Venkhaters excellent 'Relegation Row'. Truly the best football record ever! Summed up that season to a tee. Take a bow Leonard. :tu:

Can never forget that.... but you've watered down your own point cos Charlton were hardly a big team were they?

"I've seen referees conned by Zola and Vialli' . I've seen Courteny in disguise down at the Valley. My God I had to turn my face away"**

** With respect to Leonard Venkhaters excellent 'Relegation Row'. Truly the best football record ever! Summed up that season to a tee. Take a bow Leonard. :tu:

I didn't mean Charlton were a big team, I was referring to the decision against us and effectively comparing that to what the likes of Man U, Arsenal etc, would have got for the same incident. Sorry for the confusion.

Can hardly call Charlton a big club but yes I was there and it was a terrible decision

I didn't mean Charlton are a big team, I meant that decision that went against us, would have NEVER gone against a BIG team!

Archived