BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jimmy Hill won Rovers the Premier League!

There's always someone trying to take the gloss off the title winning side.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/05/the-knowledge-jimmy-hill-two-points

The old points system would also have denied us the 1975 third division title according to the article.

Jimmy Hill was responsible too for leading the campaign against the maximum wage (£20 a week !!) so I suppose we have to thank him for that too (sarcasm mode on)

I always believe Matthew Simmons won rovers the league. Who is Matthew Simmons a number of you may wonder?

A Manc myth I often hear. History has been changed that they struggled for form after Cantona got banned. It's rubbish.

Before Cantona got banned. P26 W16 D6 L4 PPG=2.07

After Cantona got banned. P16 W10 D4 L2 PPG= 2.13

Besides, we lost Batty through injury for most of the season which is not his fault. Whilst Matthew Simmons was a catalyst, Cantona himself was at fault for his ban. I'm sure many Rovers players got grief near the touchline at some point during that season. If they had decided to jump into the crowd and kick off it would have been their fault.

Having said that, fair play to Eric. It's funny to watch every time.

I always believe Matthew Simmons won rovers the league. Who is Matthew Simmons a number of you may wonder?

Nah, Rovers won the league because they were the best team over the season.

Matthew Simmons and Ludo Miklovsko were only complicit in ensuring it so.

A Manc myth I often hear. History has been changed that they struggled for form after Cantona got banned. It's rubbish.

Besides, we lost Batty through injury for most of the season which is not his fault. Whilst Matthew Simmons was a catalyst, Cantona himself was at fault for his ban. I'm sure many Rovers players got grief near the touchline at some point during that season. If they had decided to jump into the crowd and kick off it would have been their fault.

I didn't realise that was the point ratio. That's a very good contrary argument.

I'd just understood it that cantona was in the best form of his career. He had been made French captain prior to the incident and subsequent ban. He never played for France again

Somebody has got too much time on his hands.

They should see what happens if they awarded zero points for a 0-0 draw. That would be a positive change - you don't score, you don't get rewarded.

I like that idea

And United's squad cost more so the 'bought the title' argument is a myth as well.

The best thing about it is that, even now, it really hurts them

No one mentioned Man City buying the title now did they. Ticks me off we @#/? off a lot of people winning that title.

'Punished' by Fergy personally flying to Paris with an offer to double his wages.

I didn't realise that was the point ratio. That's a very good contrary argument.

I'd just understood it that cantona was in the best form of his career. He had been made French captain prior to the incident and subsequent ban. He never played for France again

I thought he'd been dropped by France for some time prior to that. My memory must be playing tricks on me.

Still waiting for an article to say how many points we'd have won it by if Berg hadn't been sent off against Man U at home and Sherwood's goal hadn't been disallowed against them away. Probably still the 2 worst, most baffling, most suspiciously rigged decisions I've ever seen in English football. We were up against Man U and the FA that season and we still won it.

The answer's 10 points by the way, a win at Ewood and a draw at Old Trafford adds 5 to ours and takes 4 off theirs. We were frigging miles better than them that season.

I wonder how many titles united would have won without the officials on their side?

Has anyone added up all of the refereeing mistakes they enjoyed while winning all their silverware.

Mainly I'm still aggrieved at Berg being sent off when we were outplaying them.

I wonder how many titles united would have won without the officials on their side?

Has anyone added up all of the refereeing mistakes they enjoyed while winning all their silverware.

I was in the JW front row, almost level, I've never been more aggrieved at a decision ever!

Whisper that, there's a Rovers fan on here ( no names ) that believes Utd never had a leg up from the officials. I don't think the game's bent but episodes like that and the Tevez goal for West Ham at Ewood really make you wonder. The guy was stood on his own on the goal line, stopped a shot from the edge of the box with one foot and put it in with the other but strangely enough he was on-side !

Gerald Ashby sent off Berg at Ewood.

Paul Durkin was the only person in Old Trafford who saw Shearer 'foul' Kean when he headed the ball back across goal for Sherwood to head home. We cheered to the rafters, the plastics fell silent, some MU players were looking at each other to apportion blame whilst the rest were walking to line up for the KO...... and the little bent git blew for a foul and disallowed the goal.

Whisper that, there's a Rovers fan on here ( no names ) that believes Utd never had a leg up from the officials. I don't think the game's bent but episodes like that and the Tevez goal for West Ham at Ewood really make you wonder. The guy was stood on his own on the goal line, stopped a shot from the edge of the box with one foot and put it in with the other but strangely enough he was on-side !

I don't think refs are bent, just weak. They were terrified of Ferguson and remain scared of big crowds, journalists, Jose Mourinho and offending high profile clubs.

We spent much of the early 90s playing 12 every week as an unfashionable club that didn't sell papers and a soft touch for referees who seemed to feel that they could relax when officiating Rovers games and stuff up accordingly (almost exclusively at our expense).

For me confirmation of this came early in the 95/96 season. We were at home to a QPR side generally expected to struggle and we were playing poorly on a warm day. Into the second half a cross came into the QPR box towards Shearer who had Centre Half Reddy standing behind him. Shearer, barely brushed by the QPR man sank to his knees. The ref inexplicably pointed to the spot and Shearer dispatched the spot kick.

Never in a million years would we have got that pen before we were Champs.

Archived