BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Best Of 80's

ABBEY

Happy days following Rovers those.

Interesting to note how many quality players were plying their trade at that level.

If I talk of my favourite season 87-88 there were McAllister and Newell at Leicester, Wright, Bright and Thomas at Palace, McCall at Bradford, Slaven, Mowbray and Pallister at Boro, David Platt and Tony Daley at Villa, Earl Barrett, Andy Ritchie at Oldham and Lee Dixon and Steve Bould at Stoke...and that's without googling!!

Quality wise, the league this year isn't even close.

Remember hundreds of us going in the Darwen End against Bradford because the Blackburn End was full. Lots of fights broke out. Think it was a boxing day fixture.

Loved watching Garner, Barker and Gennoe in the 80's.

Rovers fans on the Darwen End was great during the 80's, something a bit different and mean't the side had tremendous support from both ends of the ground.

Always used to irk me that the low close roof of the Darwen End made 300 away fans sound like 2,000 and the cantilever Blackburn End roof just allowed our songs to waft away on the wind somewhat.

Bradford was new years day I think. Thousands turned up from nowhere and a few thousand from over the pennines. Huge que outside to near half time I seem to remember, loads gave up. We got in the Nuttall St enclosure next to Darwen end and had a birds eye view of the scrapping which seemed to break out after a goal.

Surprised David Mail hasn't been mentioned - a very under-rated player and formed a superb partnership with Hendry.

Mail was quick but that was it. His first touch was a pass to the opposition and 40 yard wide pitches were still not big enough for him to keep it in play when clearing the ball.

Mail was quick but that was it. His first touch was a pass to the opposition and 40 yard wide pitches were still not big enough for him to keep it in play when clearing the ball.

He had banana boots but ideal for penalties where the ball only has 12 yards to veer off course. You could guarantee the next touch was a throw in when he got it but he was a good solid defender.

He had banana boots but ideal for penalties where the ball only has 12 yards to veer off course. You could guarantee the next touch was a throw in when he got it but he was a good solid defender.

Banana boots sums him up. Or put on the wrong feet! Best of the 80's? Not in my book.

Favourites from that time are Faz, Gennoe, Scotty, Garner, Noel B, Keeley, Hendry, Price. Most of them walk straight into our current first team.

Archived