BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lancashire telegraph - pride of Wales

So what does everyone think of the Lancashire telegraphs production being moved to Newport. I know lots of people don't like it anyway but it is an institution in the community that will surely get lots worse by being made in Newport.

The newspaper hasn't even done a story on around 30 people being made redundant. Any other business they would.

When people in Newport are checking for errors, how would they know players names etc. rip Lancashire telegraph.

Local papers have been on life support for a long time now, but maybe centralising part of the production process might keep them alive a little longer. Not nice for the people affected, of course. My wife used to work for a Newsquest paper about 10 years ago, and even then they were cutting budgets and chopping staff numbers on a regular basis.

Print is a dying medium. The newspapers in the main have failed to move on. Personally i feel the quality of the LET is very poor.

The sports journos appear to have no feeling for the club, no comment on whats happened, theres no reasoned opinions or hard questioning. It took cryer far far too long to cotton on, and speak out.

Id much sooner have Kamy be asking the questions the fans want answering, than Wheelock typing what the club send him.

And I do womder if they are using Dan Cloughs column to try and stir things up and get people riled.

Sad news, but this is the way of newspapers. It has been going on for years with the closure of the nationals in Manchester and the merging of printing operations of regional papers.

I have not bought a paper of any sort in 18 months. I get my Daily Telegraph online and look at the LT online about twice a month.

Sadly printed newspapers are dead. My brother used to be Editor of the LEP when they sold up to 70K+ per night; they are now lucky to sell 5K. In a couple of years a printed newspaper will be as rare as a video recorder.

Also "journalism" rather than " reporting " is dead.

I can see the merger of the Lancs Evening Post, the Gazette and the Telegraph into a single "Lancashire United".

Local papers have been on life support for a long time now, but maybe centralising part of the production process might keep them alive a little longer. .

Sad and likely to lead to more horrible errors in the LET - how can people living in Wales be expected to know about the Blackburn area ?

By the way, all those who think they can get their news for free had better think again - all papers will be charging for internet access soon along the models of the FT, Times and Daily Telegraph.

Quality journalism (even the Daily Mail) costs money to produce.

I pay by subscription Jim and am happy to do so (£9.99 per month for 7 days per week plus additional supplements on the arts, personal finance etc).

The issue is technology and the means of production are unfortunately making existing roles obsolete.

I wonder in 10 years time will kids be saying " what is a newspaper?".

For us we will get our "news" about Rovers in different ways. I wonder how much of it will will be from journalists and how much will be true or even more manipulated than what we read now?

By the way, all those who think they can get their news for free had better think again - all papers will be charging for internet access soon along the models of the FT, Times and Daily Telegraph.

Quality journalism (even the Daily Mail) costs money to produce.

Indeed. I've wondered how the press are managing with their internet rival. There will be casualties and it will get messy no doubt. Journalism would not be the best career option these days. If it happens as you suggest will the likes of the BBC / sky / huff charge or will they take over completely?

I pay by subscription Jim and am happy to do so (£9.99 per month for 7 days per week plus additional supplements on the arts, personal finance etc).

The issue is technology and the means of production are unfortunately making existing roles obsolete.

For us we will get our "news" about Rovers in different ways. I wonder how much of it will will be from journalists and how much will be true or even more manipulated than what we read now?

I suspect the latter.

The printed word isn't dead. I notice that in the US billionaire investor Warren Buffett has been buying titles at rock bottom prices. Newspapers have seen off challenges from radio and television over the decades and they will see off the internet too. I predict that in 10 and 20 years time newspapers will still be around and will have staged a revival.

The worst aspect of the current decline of local newspapers is its impact on local democracy. Local papers have always been the eyes and ears of the community, reporting on misdeeds in local government and making those in authority accountable. Very few if any of council committees are being covered now - with the result that big stories are being missed. Reporters no longer cover local courts either.

The printed word isn't dead. I notice that in the US billionaire investor Warren Buffett has been buying titles at rock bottom prices. Newspapers have seen off challenges from radio and television over the decades and they will see off the internet too. I predict that in 10 and 20 years time newspapers will still be around and will have staged a revival.

The worst aspect of the current decline of local newspapers is its impact on local democracy. Local papers have always been the eyes and ears of the community, reporting on misdeeds in local government and making those in authority accountable. Very few if any of council committees are being covered now - with the result that big stories are being missed. Reporters no longer cover local courts either.

How ridiculous. After the sports and the Sudoku/ crossword they were the best bits*. I used to like seeing who I knew who had got locked up. Wonder whatever became of 'Norty Rascal'?

Is it something to do with dolloper rights? I noticed an article on BBC Breakfast this morning which showed how useful police mounted cameras can be. It showed them arresting what appeared to be some asian scroat for a stabbing and his immediate confession was caught on camera resuting in a 10 year sentence. For some reason his face was blurred out. Might be wrong but I presume that stupid human rights malarky is to blame.

LT(Dan Clough) running the Balaji story as a front page today lifted from the Times Of India story of May 3rd!

Reported on here by Perthblue 6th May.

Yesterday was basically an advert for the club shop opening times etc.with the Rudy story. They really are struggling.

From the LT

"Balaji Rao, a director of Venky's (India) Limited, was interviewed by police in Pune after the company’s former food and beverages manager claimed he was hit with an iron rod and given electric shocks...............

.......... A spokesman for Venky’s said the allegations were completely false. The company said that Mr Shetty had been sacked from the company after allegations were made against him of stealing."

I think we can take it as read that Dastardly and Muttley will be staying well clear of Pune for the rest of their born days! If that little Indian got thrashed with an iron bar and tortured with electric shocks for trapping his hand in the Venky till I'd suggest that nothing short of being tied across the barrell of a canyon before firing it would be appropriate for that pair of fraudulent shysters given the amount they must have scarpered with!

Just as an aside the Rao's must be slow learners. They claim to have been watching this chap do wrong to their organisation for 5 years...... good now they know how we feel!

Archived