BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wimbledon 2015

Federer and Djokovic is epic and two sets in.

If you don't like this, you are clearly wrong.

That's an arrogant thing to say. Some people don't like Rugby League. Are they clearly wrong?

As I have said previously each to their own.

However one can't help but admire the skill and brilliance of two great sportsmen. Also two people who are great role models for kids, unlike most footballers of today.

Thanks be to all that is mighty the borefest is over for another year and the BBC is returned to me. It's been a struggle to keep it off my screen but I managed it and now it is finished. I swear I will take my holidays next year during Wimbledon fortnight.

Federer is a master of beating the lower players. He will be knocked out in the semi finals.

While we were both wrong, I was slightly more right. :D

• 11 months later...

Djokovic and Federer out, Murray in final and has been playing some of the best tennis I've seen him play through the rounds - some would call it mint (groan), personally I think Lendl does a good job of getting him to stop his rants.

Big favourite for Sundays match with Raonic (sp), I just can't see him losing.

Good luck Andy!

Fantastic performance from Murray yesterday.

His returning was outstanding and was always in control of the match. Delighted that he managed to win his second Wimbledon title and hopefully over the next few years he can add a few more grandslam titles. These last 2 weeks are the best that I have seen him play. Mentally he seems to be very strong now and is able to control his emotions.

I got more excited about Reid and Hewett winning the wheelchair doubles and Reid winning the singles. Don't get me wrong, it was great by Murray but Reid apparently woke up one morning saying his legs felt a bit funny and not long after he was paralysed. Who would have thought then as a teenager that your name would be on a Wimbledon trophy?

There's an interesting debate going on at the moment about whether Murray is the greatest-ever British sportsperson.

Always a difficult thing to assess, and something like that will always be largely subjective, but I do think there might be a strong case for him by the time he finally hangs up his racquet.

There's an interesting debate going on at the moment about whether Murray is the greatest-ever British sportsperson.

Always a difficult thing to assess, and something like that will always be largely subjective, but I do think there might be a strong case for him by the time he finally hangs up his racquet.

As you say it is a very subjective! For me he would be in the top 10 but not the greatest ever at this time. In my lifetime the greatest British Sportsperson I have seen is Steve Redgrave and his five olympic gold medals. I guess it will be different for different generations.

As you say it is a very subjective! For me he would be in the top 10 but not the greatest ever at this time. In my lifetime the greatest British Sportsperson I have seen is Steve Redgrave and his five olympic gold medals. I guess it will be different for different generations.

It will also depend which sports you prefer, I suppose.

Not Murray's greatest fan so probably biased against him but defo wouldn't have him as our greatest sportsman. Over his career to date he's only been the 4th best tennis player of his own era behind Federer, Djokovic and nadal let alone Britain's best sportsman ever.

Forgetting various sportsmen from team sports I think are better and just those from individual sports I'd have Redgrave, ap McCoy Ben Ainsley, Chris hoy, Wiggins, froome maybe, Faldo, Lennox Lewis, sure if put proper thought into it could think of more.

I think Murrays achievements seem bigger just because we've been rubbish at tennis for donkeys.

Ha. Phil the power. To be fair him/Stephen hendry/Steve Davis dominated their "lesser" sports in a way Murray never will his own. Other individuals I'd definitely have over Murray Jackie Stewart and joe calzaghe. Plus few team ones like Johnny wilkinson, Bobby Moore, giggs, George best, beefy Botham, Jimmy Anderson.

Murray defo deserves to be spoken of along side other British sporting greats but unless he wins more in his career I'd struggle to justify him in the top 10. Plus if combine the list with individuals from team sports, plus other current sportsman like Lewis Hamilton who could win loads more, or if Joshua becomes undisputed heavyweight etc he might not crack top 20 for me.

To counter the above post from matt83, Faldo didn't win any of his majors while Tiger Woods was prowling, and Murray has arguably been up against three of the greatest tennis players of all time all at once.

Sailing is too niche a sport really I think, though no doubting Ainslie has dominated it - the triathlete lad Brownlow deserves a mention if you're including the less popular sports. The rowers and cyclists are good shouts, as is Calzaghe. Botham is a difficult one - there are other cricketing candidates even in my lifetime to challenge him as greatest British cricketer. Unless you just count all rounders. I would include the likes of Daley Thomson, Jess Ennis, and Mo Farah as well.

I would liken what Murray has done to a British golfer coming up against Palmer, Player, Nicklaus and Woods at their peak and regularly beating all of them.

Faldo never had the chance to challenge the ones you mentioned. He was a different era. Not the greatest ever British sportsman but credit where it is due.

Faldo never had the chance to challenge the ones you mentioned. He was a different era. Not the greatest ever British sportsman but credit where it is due.

I'm not knocking Faldo Al. He's a hero of mine (as is Botham). But he managed to wriggle in between eras where there were all-time greats on the prowl. Holding off the likes of Curtis Strange, Nick Price, Scott Hoch and even Greg Norman is a bit different to being around when Woods, Nicklaus, Watson, Palmer etc were at their peak. But as you say, its always difficult to compare players from different eras.

But it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Murray ends up with a similar number of major titles to Faldo and against the very best opponents. Add in his Olympic and Davis Cup heroics and he has a strong case.

• Backroom

Faldo was of the Seve era and that's good enough for me!

Murray is up there imo because of the rarity of his achievements. Who would've thought 10years ago that a Brit would hold 2 Wimbledon titles AND Olympic gold whike Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic were sniffing around?

Shearer must be up there, ditto Calzaghe and Taylor in their sports.

Aside from those, you're mainly talking olympians to make up the rest imo.

Archived