BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Clubs Banning Media - People's Thoughts?

One thing that seems to be cropping up a bit more often now is clubs banning any media that may paint a negative - or indeed any objective - picture about the club.

I know there's complaints about Radio Rovers bias for years, but to an extent whilst it annoys me, I get that - it's a club station, it is going to be somewhat bias. What's more alarming however is the seeming beginnings of a trend to ban any negative/objective opinions. A couple of examples can be seen here:

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/blackpool-fc/it-s-good-to-talk-blackpool-fc-should-try-it-1-7357230

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/swindon-town-fc-extends-local-press-ban-all-media-it-signs-fanzai-app

Think the barcodes have also done it.

Now we know the frustrations of media manipulation under the K**n era, but that was pretty covert and behind the scenes (not that that makes it any less reprehensible.) Most clubs don't seem to be able to do it so subtly but it's happening with increasing regularity.And rivalries aside if it's wrong for us, it's wrong for all football teams.

Would be interested to get people's thoughts on it, whether the objective voice - especially for fans - is going, and what if anything can be done about it.

• Backroom

It's just the way the world is heading in general. The proles are entitled to less and less information, until it becomes normal not to know anything that doesn't come out of the mouth of an official mouthpiece.

It took a rogue NSA agent to let us all know we were being spied on in every conceivable way by our own Governments - I imagine we'll soon by relying on similar sources for most things, football clubs included.

Fergie wouldn't talk to BBC for a long time and i am sure he also had a tiff with moan U TV.

Big Sam also wouldn't speak to BBC for a long time.

Arrogant men who didn't like being criticised.

Would be interested to get people's thoughts on it, whether the objective voice - especially for fans - is going, and what if anything can be done about it.

Overall I would be against the banning of s media organisation in any walk of life. We need our institutions to be held to account.

In relation to football I don't worry about it. I think the issue is simple, when was the last time a player, manager or club had something interesting or honest to say to the fan base? I don't believe or place much credence in their utterances simply because the answer to any given question is entirely predictable.

If we are discussing Rovers I honestly feel anyone of us could write out the five scripts Bowyer will use this season depending on the situation. He has scripts for:

Player signing

Player leaving

Win

Lose

Draw

Overall banning the media should not be permitted or at least not without demonstrable good cause. In relation to football it doesn't concern me as they all speak nonsense. The talking that counts is done on the pitch.

It's about the press having the nadgers to stand up to being banned by the club. Sadly for a local paper they are terrified of getting on the wrong side of the club as news is so important for sales.

What we need is a regular national radio or TV programme that focuses on corruption and poor governance in sport. There's more than enough to look into - international and domestic - and people would watch it. There's no focus for an expose currently. It gets lost in the noise.

We could well do with some decent investigative journalism Joey, but whenever something is attempted the whole football industry appears to close ranks and put pressure on the media outlets to tow the line or move on. The BBC Panorama expose on agents years ago and a certain agency providing Sky with plenty of pundits supporting Steve Kean at our supporters expense spring to mind.

It's about the press having the nadgers to stand up to being banned by the club. Sadly for a local paper they are terrified of getting on the wrong side of the club as news is so important for sales.

I think that is why the gazette has been banned from Blackpool. I can't find the article right now, but the club have refused to give them a licence as they wish their pre-season to be a positive experience for all, which the Gazette were jeopardising. Or something to that effect.

I think you're right but surely being banned from the club wouldn't prevent them being able to write news about it. Most of the LT stories read like a match programme anyway, so maybe it's not fear but apathy. The fact that the paper is now produced out of town means might simply mean there is nobody at the LT who actually cares about understanding what's really going on at the club, let alone be prepared to ask the awkward questions.

I think that is why the gazette has been banned from Blackpool. I can't find the article right now, but the club have refused to give them a licence as they wish their pre-season to be a positive experience for all, which the Gazette were jeopardising. Or something to that effect.

Really? I'd heard that Oyston did a lot of advertising business with the Gazette, or owned shares or something, so they were always reluctant to criticise the owners. I live in Blackpool, and heard it from a fan. Interesting if they've changed tack.

I think you're right but surely being banned from the club wouldn't prevent them being able to write news about it. Most of the LT stories read like a match programme anyway, so maybe it's not fear but apathy. The fact that the paper is now produced out of town means might simply mean there is nobody at the LT who actually cares about understanding what's really going on at the club, let alone be prepared to ask the awkward questions.

You may be onto something. If it is fear from the LT, it is surely misplaced fear, as I expect articles talking about the deep problems at the club would be at least as good for sales as constantly towing the line and being bland.

Was the Fergusson and Allardyce lack of communication not down to the BBC implicating Sam and Fergusson's son in a Panorama documentary about dodgy transfer dealings?

Think the Ferguson one was to do with Alan Green slagging him off.

Archived