BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League/europa League

philipl

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Champions League doesn't get tasty until the QF's. Hoping Arsenal get a humping tonight.

It would be better if it was just the actual Champions straight into the QF's.

Arsenal got humped...........but then they did create quite a bit. In the end they are going to win the same amount of trophies as us this season.

It would be better if it was just the actual Champions straight into the QF's.

Arsenal got humped...........but then they did create quite a bit. In the end they are going to win the same amount of trophies as us this season.

So very true. 1 month ago they were riding high after beating Leicester. Since then they've won 1 in 8 - that was against Hull. They are out of the FA Cup, Champs League, and more than likely the Premier League. Arsenal fans want Wenger out. As Rovers fans well know, be careful what you wish for.

Yesterday's games were anything but boring. Bayern came back from 2 down to beat Juventus 4-2. Barcelona could have scored 8 against Arsenal, but Arsenal should have scored 3 or 4 too.

I have to say this away goal rule in the Europa league has ruined things.

The Man Ure Liverpoo game was getting a bit tasty until the away goal finished the game before HT.

The away goals rule has been a contentious point for years. It was devised as a way to promote teams attacking away from home. It was working well 10/15 years ago as teams were going gang busters away from home whilst playing for a draw at home. Mourinho's early teams and Benitez's Liverpool all made it to the latter stages of the champs league using this tactic.

This season 6 of the 8 quarter finalists were group winners. The 2 second place teams still left are Benfica and PSG.

Benfica were runners up to Atletico in a very average group. They also beat Zenit who also won a very average group. PSG were second to Real Madrid after losing 1-0 st the Bernabeu. I don't think that the away goals rule made any difference whatsoever in who is left.

As for Man U - Liverpool. The better team progresssed regardless of any away goals.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone at Chelsea must have cooked up some serious black magic on PSG for them to part with 50m for David Luiz. Or maybe they sent Carneiro round to butter them up. Either way, astonishing.

its one of the reasons why Barca said NO! to signing Luiz and instead signed a crocked Vermaelen instead, and Jeremy Mathieu. For Luiz to be looked at as a worse signing than Vermaelen and Mathieu, says alot about his ability as a defender.

Anyone listen to the Radio 5 commentary last night? When City got their second, Alan 'United fan' Green said 'We'll take that', then seconds later repeated it. It was so obviously intended by Green and so embarrassing. The legend of football commentating, the late Peter Jones would never have said that.

There were some interesting results this week.

Bayern only beat Benfica 1-0, but I can't see Benfica doing much at home against the Germans.

Barcelona - Atletico Madrid was a great game, aside from the hysterical theatrics from clowns like Busquets. Suarez dug them out after Torres lost the plot, but the 2nd leg favours Atletico. Simeone knows what's he's doing and is very good at disrupting how Barcelona play.

Madrid need to score 3 at home to beat Wolfsburg. Entirely possible but this one is a toss up.

City have the advantage against PSG. I'd back them to go through. PSG's first goal was schoolboy football. City always looked lively on the attack. Having Luiz banned is a bonus for PSG but Matuidi is also out.

To think PSG have Marquinhos on the bench who didn't cost £50m and is way better as well. Ludicrous.

Barca wanted Marquinhos, and he would have been a starter at Barca. Instead he chose rightly or wrongly to remain at PSG..

• Moderation Lead

Atletico Madrid knocked Barca out of the CL tonight and Benfica made Bayern work very hard to get through...

So that's Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich and Man City in the semis. Very interesting indeed!

• Moderation Lead

Always a pleasure to see Barcelona knocked out.

Aye, given how favourable they had it with the referee in the first leg and Suarez's behaviour, it serves them right.

Crazy how well Atletico have been doing these last few years.

Especially considering there's only two teams in Spain, or so I've been told.

No, there's four. :)

Speaking of which, I'm off to Madrid.

I wonder which balls UEFA will put in the microwave before Friday's semi final draw?

I'll go for both Madrid teams so they can be drawn together.

That way there is no chance of a repeat of the final from 2 years ago, and it guarantees either an English or German team in the final meaning bigger viewing figures.

I had a quick look at the Deloitte football money league; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloitte_Football_Money_League

Using last season's revenue figures 1,5,6, and 15 are left in the competition. 2 and 4 got knocked out this week.

• Backroom

Game just kicked off and we've already had every version of famous European night, special night under the lights at Anfield several times

Come on Dortmund

Archived