BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League/europa League

philipl

• Moderation Lead

Klopp is alright, and I like some of Liverpool's players, but I find Liverpool (FC, the City is fine) very hard to like to be honest. There are easily as many glory hunters of theirs around these parts as United (with no connection to the area), the persecution complex (always the victim....), the obsession and completely overblown fantasy about how good the atmosphere/European nights are at Anfield, ramming how good 'you'll never walk alone' is down the nation's throats.

It's all a load of rubbish, exaggerated by goons in the media that used to play for them. When you could have heard a pin drop amongst the home fans on both occasions I've been to Anfield.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

seeing as I get moaned at for going off topic on threads...please explain why the bin dippers are being discussed in the champions league thread?

Because there's no Europa League thread would be my guess! I'll change the title of this one to include all European football.....

Anyhow, the draw has been made for the Champions League semis- Real Madrid vs Man City, Atletico Madrid vs Bayern. City have dodged Pep for now, there could potentially be an all-Madrid final again....

Brilliant though it was, it isn't even the greatest comeback ever by Liverpool.

Istanbul - how many games do you ever see a team win from 3-0 down at half time, let alone in a final, let alone in the Champions League final against a team renowned for not letting many goals in?

As I say, taking nothing away from last night, which was enthralling.

As a Milan fanatic, probably due to the terrible trauma of that night, I view Istanbul differently.

While miraculous, Liverpools comeback in 2005 was helped by an error strewn capitulation (Free header, poor goalkeeping and a penalty conceded), and that Milan side had a history of blowing leads (most noticeably against La Coruna the year earlier).

To me, compared to 2005, last nights comeback was far more problematic (LFC needed 3 goals in 24 minutes) and was won with extra skill and methodology.

As a Milan fanatic, probably due to the terrible trauma of that night, I view Istanbul differently.

While miraculous, Liverpools comeback in 2005 was helped by an error strewn capitulation (Free header, poor goalkeeping and a penalty conceded), and that Milan side had a history of blowing leads (most noticeably against La Coruna the year earlier).

To me, compared to 2005, last nights comeback was far more problematic (LFC needed 3 goals in 24 minutes) and was won with extra skill and methodology.

We'll just need to agree to disagree on that one then. So the two free headers Liverpool scored with last night were different then? lol

Klopp is alright, and I like some of Liverpool's players, but I find Liverpool (FC, the City is fine) very hard to like to be honest. There are easily as many glory hunters of theirs around these parts as United (with no connection to the area), the persecution complex (always the victim....), the obsession and completely overblown fantasy about how good the atmosphere/European nights are at Anfield, ramming how good 'you'll never walk alone' is down the nation's throats.

It's all a load of rubbish, exaggerated by goons in the media that used to play for them. When you could have heard a pin drop amongst the home fans on both occasions I've been to Anfield.

I agree with most of your points, but i'm always left a uneasy and offended with "always the victims" tag.

Not digging you out, but think a rephrasing would be better.

• Moderation Lead

I agree with most of your points, but i'm always left a uneasy and offended with "always the victims" tag.

Not digging you out, but think a rephrasing would be better.

I'm fairly confident the origin of that chant was from Man United fans in relation to the Luis Suarez affair when they all wore t-shirts in support of him, rather than what I think you might be getting at.

I'm fairly confident the origin of that chant was from Man United fans in relation to the Luis Suarez affair when they all wore t-shirts in support of him, rather than what I think you might be getting at.

You are fairly wrong, unfortunately.

Like I said, it's not aimed at you, just the general connotations.

It may or may not be coincidence that the Utd fans use the word "always", but "Victim" is a very emotive word considering the tragedy at Hillsborough.

Ah right, that's the first time I ever heard of them singing it in any case. When did the chant begin?

As is common, there was a school yard chant on the Monday following the disaster. This chant was also sung on the terraces at Old Trafford.

I'd rather not dwell on the issue, particularly as today is the anniversary.

My original point, about rephrasing, was all that I wanted to suggest.

• Moderation Lead

As is common, there was a school yard chant on the Monday following the disaster. This chant was also sung on the terraces at Old Trafford.

I'd rather not dwell on the issue, particularly as today is the anniversary.

My original point, about rephrasing, was all that I wanted to suggest.

Loud and clear.

My Champs league predictions were all wrong as usual. I'd prefer a City-Munich final. My last choice is an all Spain encounter.

As for Liverpool, it was an unbelievable game. I'm a Rovers fan but overall I'm a fan of football. That was something else.

I don't understand how some can dismiss it because it's a team they don't like. Live sport is one of the few things left that cannot be scripted. It's there to be enjoyed, not scorned upon because of perceived wrongs of a place.

I'd be for City to win it but wouldn't mind at all seeing Atletico win it because they are in such a shadow of Real and Barca. Atletico is a scrappy team;

England have largely gotten away from the dominance of the big 4; most of the other big Euro leagues are dominated by the same ol' same ol'. That is tiring year after year.

If Liverpool win the Europa League and City win the Champions League, and United win the FA Cup and finish fourth (breathe) then the 8th placed PL team would qualify for the Europa... :wacko:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3541458/Liverpool-edge-closer-Europa-League-glory-happens-Manchester-City-win-Champions-League-finish-fifth-Sportsmail-assesses-permutations.html

I would put it down as the best comeback myself.. immense game.. main reason for me is they simply didn't have the players they had in Istanbul and the gulf in quality between the Liverpool and Dortmund teams was huge....plus for me I just never liked Benitez and find Klopp impossible to dislike.

I almost forgot it was already 3-3 with still 30 minutes of normal time to play.

Comebacks that involve very late goals will always be the best ones.

Archived