BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Happy Birthday Mike England!

47er

My favourite Rovers player as a young boy!

Met him years later in North Wales.

Real gentleman and as cool a Centre Half as you are likely to see. Anyone remember his Centre Forward performance at Burmnley in 65/66 Season?

Hope he is keeping well.

I've never seen a better one ever but I reckon Lucio who played for Brazil a few years back was as good. He had it all really, one of the few very tall guys who could really jump. Great goalscorer from corners, He could give Duffy a few lessons in how to attack a corner ball. He had ball control and passing ability of a top class midfield player and the tackling ability to match.

He was picked for the " Rothmans " Great Britain XI for about five years on the run but I thought he was at his peak at a Rovers and he wasn't quite as good after his move to Spurs.

I remember shortly after the Burnley game we were away at Old Trafford playing the red rats. England was still playing No 9 for us. We were struggling 2-0 down with about 15 mins to go, we'd been crap all game really. We got a corner and something must have been going on between England and Harry Gregg Utd's fiery Irish goalkeeper. The ball came over and Gregg came out but made no attempt to play the ball and just punched England in the side of the head. Gregg didn't hang around but just walked right off.

Mike Harrison slotted away the pen, no problem , and we were right back in the game. From that point it was game on ! About 5 minutes later we got an in direct free kick about 30 yards out from goal. Mike Harrison attempted to chip a quick ball into the box, but cocked it up. The attempted chip hit the retreating Paddy Crerand on the back of the head and gently looped into the top corner. 2-2, Happy days.

A season or two earlier I got Mike England, Keith Newton and Fred Pickering's autographs. I was waiting by Bill Eckersley's shop near the ground when all three off them jumped off the Corporation football special bus from the Boulevard. How times have changed !

Great memories there Tyrone.

What a classy player Mike England was. As you quite rightly say, he could pick a pass that would put many so called midfielders to shame.

I really hope the big man is well. The story of the Corporation bus really made me smile.,that's how it used to be. Three players who would easily be in my "Rovers hall of fame". I was gutted when they moved on to other clubs.

It's strange that I've never heard mention of Mike England at any players reunion. A man who seems to keep out of the spotlight.

Great memories there Tyrone.

What a classy player Mike England was. As you quite rightly say, he could pick a pass that would put many so called midfielders to shame.

I really hope the big man is well. The story of the Corporation bus really made me smile.,that's how it used to be. Three players who would easily be in my "Rovers hall of fame". I was gutted when they moved on to other clubs.

It's strange that I've never heard mention of Mike England at any players reunion. A man who seems to keep out of the spotlight.

Yeah I was lucky to see all of them in their prime. Newton, a sublime player, classy, elegant, the best full back we've had in my time, England , World class centre half and so dominant at both ends of the pitch and Big Fred, barring Shearer the best striker we've ever had.

I think I'm right in saying Mike made his debut at right back. The first time I saw him play he was playing inside right ( right attacking midfield today ). The next time I saw him he'd come in for the injured Mick McGrath at left half ( left sided defensive midfield today ). Eventually he replaced the rock that was Matt Woods at centre half, he was still a very young player at that time. Of course the old timers remember him playing at centre forward also.

On the down side I also remember Mike being the first player I ever saw get sent off. In a torrid local Derby at Turf Moor we were mugged by a very physical Burnley team and a weak referee. Bryan Douglas had his shirt ripped off his back early on and was the target of the usual heavy tackling.

Mike was still a young guy and he was marking Andy Lochead who was the sort of guy that looked like he was made of solid bone, maybe he was. If you'd have kicked him you'd have probably hurt your foot ! He was the sort of player that if he had been a boxer he would have needed a third glove on his head ! He'd been kicking lumps out of Mike and after about an hour of this sort of stuff Mike just lost it , retaliated and got to have first use of the bath water.

I think he learned at lot from that incident as I don't recall him ever being in real trouble for the rest of his career.

When I say he was the best I ever saw it's not hyperbole or an old guy dreaming or having my blue and white glasses on, he genuinely was that good. When we sold him to Spurs It was a British record for a defender, in fact it could have been a World record. He very, very nearly went to United but they offered £ 75,000 plus a player ( David Herd ) but Spurs offered to pay the full fee of £ 95,000.

Centre half in my all time Rovers team.

Friedel

Newton

England

Hendry

Le Saux

Ferguson ( Mike )

Clayton

Douglas

Duff

Shearer

Pickering

Midfield looks lightweight by today' standards? I'd put a midfield enforcer into a 5 and leave Shearer up on his own.

Duggie would play well up and supply Shearer with those dream passes only he could see!

Who's the midfield enforcer though? Batty? Also what about Ripley ahead of Ferguson? You could also make a case for Wilcox.

No doubt that England is in though!

The day he was leaving Ewood I was the last person to get his autograph. I met Mike many years later when Wales was touring Canada. I waited until the end of the post match presser and asked him why he left the Rovers. He told me that Spurs were offering him the kind of money that would afford his family security. He was happy at Rovers he said. It was a great family club even back then. I thanked him for his time and shook his hand. A classy guy. Happy birthday , Mike!

Great player indeed and one of my childhood favourites.

I still have the program from his testimonial game but can't remember who played who! :)

Hi John, he didn't have a testimonial game himself but he played in at least one for either Bryan or Ronnie. Maybe both.

Midfield looks lightweight by today' standards? I'd put a midfield enforcer into a 5 and leave Shearer up on his own.

Duggie would play well up and supply Shearer with those dream passes only he could see!

Who's the midfield enforcer though? Batty? Also what about Ripley ahead of Ferguson? You could also make a case for Wilcox.

No doubt that England is in though!

We'd be winning every game about 5-2 , who needs enforcers with those strikers. Fergie was a better, smarter player than Ripley. Don't get me going about Wilcox matey, if I was picking my fifth team he still wouldn't get in. Mike Harrison, Scott Sellars, Waggy, Ally MaCleod were all better and that's just off the top of my head.

If you do need an enforcer it would have to be Batty or you could put Ronnie Clayton there and bring Tugay in to central midfield.

About 20 years or so ago, a group of guys in our over35 team used to play in a seven a side tournament at Singapore Cricket Club (A mate was a member there).

So, in this particular year, I make the decision not to go! A decision I've regretted ever since!

They came back, having played in said tournament in which an England legends select team played which included the likes of Bobby Charlton, either Shilton or Banks and a few other "stars" including our own Mike England.

My mate, who was also a centre back, had a joint team photo taken with him standing proudly next to Mike.

The rest of the team that didn't go were regaled with changing room discussions over a beer with these stars for many a year.

Fantastic player.

Wasn't he the first 100,000 player transfer?

Was he not the captain of the 1959 FA Youth Cup winning Rovers team?

No, Fred Pickering was the captain, from left back !

About 20 years or so ago, a group of guys in our over35 team used to play in a seven a side tournament at Singapore Cricket Club (A mate was a member there).

So, in this particular year, I make the decision not to go! A decision I've regretted ever since!

They came back, having played in said tournament in which an England legends select team played which included the likes of Bobby Charlton, either Shilton or Banks and a few other "stars" including our own Mike England.

My mate, who was also a centre back, had a joint team photo taken with him standing proudly next to Mike.

The rest of the team that didn't go were regaled with changing room discussions over a beer with these stars for many a year.

Fantastic player.

Wasn't he the first 100,000 player transfer?

No , that was Denis Law.

No, Fred Pickering was the captain, from left back !

Now Tyrone, help me out. That youth team had Barry Griffiths in goal, Fred Pickering, Mike England, Keith Newton, Paddy Mulvey, Paddy Daly, Simms?, Leach?, (first name?)Ratcliffe and who else?

Cannot think of the other two one of whom was centre forward.

Here you are Bazza......

Blackburn Rovers

No. Position Player

1 England GK Barry Griffiths

2 England DF David Wells

3 England DF Fred Pickering

4 Wales DF Mike England

5 England DF Keith Newton

6 England MF Vincent Leach

7 England MF Barrie Ratcliffe

8 England FW Alan Bradshaw

9 England FW Bill Jervis

10 England FW Paddy Daly

11 Republic of Ireland FW Paddy Mulvey

West Ham United

No. Position Player

1 England GK Frank Caskey

2 England DF Harry Cripps

3 England DF Jack Burkett

4 England MF Eddie Bovington

5 England DF Bobby Moore

6 England MF Mickey Brooks

7 England MF Derek Woodley

8 England FW John Cartwright

9 England FW Mickey Beesley

10 England FW Andy Smillie

11 England FW Tony Scott

6 England MF Geoff Hurst

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Youth_Cup_Finals_of_the_1950s#1958.E2.80.9359:_Blackburn_Rovers_vs._West_Ham_United_.281.E2.80.931_and_1.E2.80.930.2C_2.E2.80.931_aggregate.29

Thanks Den I was calling Wells Simms. I forgot about Bradshaw and Jervis.

Interesting to note Bobby Moore and Geoff Hurst played for West Ham youth in those games.

Yes - and four years later those two supposed greats were given a massive footballing lesson by Bryan Douglas's rovers as they thrashed 'em 8-2 at their place.

Fanbloodytastic.

Yes - and four years later those two supposed greats were given a massive footballing lesson by Bryan Douglas's rovers as they thrashed 'em 8-2 at their place.

Fanbloodytastic.

Yes..........and two days later........in the reverse fixture.......West Ham won 3-1 at Ewood. Go figure!

I went to the Home Match of the FA Youth Cup Final(I think). Second leg at Ewood? Did we win or draw at West Ham.

Its all confused in my mind with Bill Eckersley's Testimonial......big crowd and finished 7-6 for someone!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Youth_Cup_Finals_of_the_1950s#1958.E2.80.9359:_Blackburn_Rovers_vs._West_Ham_United_.281.E2.80.931_and_1.E2.80.930.2C_2.E2.80.931_aggregate.29

1-1 away and won 1 -0 at home

Archived