BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Walker Family Lawsuit V Paul Egerton-Vernon

This relates to professional indemnity insurance which appears to have been claimed against to meet some liability.

I have reason to believe that the issue in Jersey does not directly relate to the Rovers. If what underpins the case is what I think it is, the Trustees may have made mistakes but I have quite a bit of sympathy for the position they found themselves in. The value of the Trust rose dramatically following Jack's death making it very unbalanced and created responsibilities which Trustees are not best equipped to handle.

Seem to recall Philipl (who as we know worships the family and trustees) saying the reason they didn't do anything was due to focusing on Fred Walker's illness. Of course that was clearly not the case.

Vinjay, put a sock in it.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This relates to professional indemnity insurance which appears to have been claimed against to meet some liability.

I have reason to believe that the issue in Jersey does not directly relate to the Rovers. If what underpins the case is what I think it is, the Trustees may have made mistakes but I have quite a bit of sympathy for the position they found themselves in. The value of the Trust rose dramatically following Jack's death making it very unbalanced and created responsibilities which Trustees are not best equipped to handle.

Vinjay, put a sock in it.

A city sock at that

From reading the link Vinjay posted, have to agree with others that there is nothing here that could be of any help to Rovers, and that it more than likely doesn't pertain to us (or at least not entirely). It almost certainly doesn't have any connection to the sale to Venkys, and isn't a smoking gun re: their takeover. The first clue is in how the case concerns bad investments. A sale isn't an investment. Further, PVE and Mark Chown, the only defendants who are individuals, retired from their roles in 2009 and 2007 respectively. Well before the takeover.

If anything, the family might be making claim that too much (or incompetent) investment was made into the club prior to the takeover. But £127 million does not reflect the level of investment (and definitely not the level of bad investment, during a period we were widely renowned to be well-ran) in Blackburn Rovers. So even if we are involved or mentioned in this case, it will be as a relatively minor part of it, have no connection to Venkys, and not be of any use to us, as at best they would be making a claim that we got more than we should have.

I expect this all relates to the other interests the Trust managed. If they have been including a moan (and claim) for the Trust spending on something so 'frivolous' as a football club (which would be difficult since Jack likely expressed these wishes in the will), then the only interest to ourselves is that it would shed a bit more light on how poorly the family regarded us.

PVE and Mark Chown, the only defendants who are individuals, retired from their roles in 2009 and 2007 respectively. Well before the takeover.

Yes it said Egerton-Vernon retired in 2009. Why then was he referred to as trust chairman in his statement when the club was sold? So obviously he was involved in the sale process. Unless he just decided to comment on the sale for no apparent reason despite having no affinity for the club and retiring as trustee. By the way Philip before I "put a sock in it" any views on Howard Walker's alleged comments please? Or perhaps explain your comments on Fred Walker's illness being the reason they took no action in 2011/2012 without resorting to insults?

Like your FUP signature by the way bluebruce good to see someone else calls it that. :rover:

Yes it said Egerton-Vernon retired in 2009. Why then was he referred to as trust chairman in his statement when the club was sold? So obviously he was involved in the sale process. Unless he just decided to comment on the sale for no apparent reason despite having no affinity for the club and retiring as trustee. By the way Philip before I "put a sock in it" any views on Howard Walker's alleged comments please? Or perhaps explain your comments on Fred Walker's illness being the reason they took no action in 2011/2012 without resorting to insults?

Like your FUP signature by the way bluebruce good to see someone else calls it that. :rover:

What are you hoping to achieve Vinjay ?

What are you hoping to achieve Vinjay ?

Well an answer to the above questions at the very least.

Your signature is highly ironic. If Rovers fans are owed an apology from the media over Kean/Anderson (I agree with you on that) then surely we are owed an apology from the Walker family and trustees as well? If the family looked into legal action over the years of neglect and sale of Rovers that would be nice as well. Do I expect either to happen? No I don't but do you truly expect an apology from the media? You want vindication and I want vindication so really we are trying to achieve the same thing. By using your signature you have cleverly found a way to put that point across in every post.

Or we can close this thread and just let the Walker family strut around Blackburn without a care in the world. Its a shame those people who have met members of the family haven't questioned them over what's happened to the club in the past 15+ years. I don't think its too much to ask that Rovers fans boycott establishments like Stanley House either. I remember suggesting Qatar flags in protest when Venkys turned down the Qataris takeover bid. Nobody did anything then despite the general feeling it was a good idea.

So I might as well give up on this thread if nobody will do anything about this either. If anyone wants to keep questioning why I was bitter and left take stuff like that into consideration alongside all the other abuse I received. I'm not writing this in anger and bitterness or leaving again but its a justifiable point. Infact I genuinely had no intention of creating a thread about the family/trustees at all (not for a few months anyway) but only found out about this lawsuit 2 days ago. Shame this happened so early as I wanted to show my ability to contribute to other topics and avoid being accused of attention seeking for bringing up previous subjects.

So if the mods feel they should close the thread I won't bring this up again.

Well an answer to the above questions at the very least.

Your signature is highly ironic. If Rovers fans are owed an apology from the media over Kean/Anderson then surely we are owed an apology from the Walker family and trustees as well? If the family looked into legal action over the years of neglect and sale of Rovers that would be nice as well. Do I expect either to happen? No I don't but do you truly expect an apology from the media? You want vindication and I want vindication so really we are trying to achieve the same thing. By using your signature you have cleverly found a way to put that point across in every post.

Or we can close this thread and just let the Walker family strut around Blackburn without a care in the world. Its a shame those people who have met members of the family haven't questioned them over what's happened to the club in the past 15+ years. I don't think its too much to ask that Rovers fans boycott establishments like Stanley House either.

Ironic !!!!

You are getting way ahead of yourself quoting my sig and linking it to the Walker family and the trust, as it refers too two specific people, who if the relevant people spoke out would be in a very uncomfortable position.

Where does my sig say I want an apology from the media ?

If you delve further into my sig, as you seem rather taken with it, you will find it is a quote of a well know journalist and not my construction.

Closing or keeping this thread open will have no effect on the Walker family strutting around Blackburn as you put it, if that is what they actually do.

They probably don't have a care in the world as they are well minted, lucky them and lucky us Rovers supporters who saw a golden era in the clubs history which we never imagined we would see in the 70's/80's and which family paid for it ?

There are specific members of the Walker family and trustees who have been referred to by name. Your signature does not directly say you want an apology that is true. It is hardly unfair to assume it indicates you would like an apology. Also I didn't know it wasn't your own personal quote. I guess some people won't know who is being quoted in my signature so will edit that.

Vinjay we've been here before mate. This is where you go full Vinjay and end up walking around Ewood Park on a cold Wednesday night. Let's just leave it there and wait for it all to blow over.

There are specific members of the Walker family and trustees who have been referred to by name. Your signature does not directly say you want an apology that is true. It is hardly unfair to assume it indicates you would like an apology. Also I didn't know it wasn't your own personal quote. I guess some people won't know who is being quoted in my signature so will edit that.

They have been quoted in litigation not connected with the Rovers though Vinjay.

Just to make it clear, it is not an apology that I want, I want the rogues in a court of law where all their financial dealings are scrutinised in minute detail.

Vinjay we've been here before mate. This is where you go full Vinjay and end up walking around OUTSIDE Ewood Park on a cold Wednesday night. Let's just leave it there and wait for it all to blow over.

sorry, couldn't resist

:D

Vinjay, I read that turgid court case decision, and very long it was, because you said it was the "smoking gun" whereas it had nothing to do with Rovers at all. But I only found that out after grinding my way through it.

Will you apologise to me for wasting my time?

Vinjay, I read that turgid court case decision, and very long it was, because you said it was the "smoking gun" whereas it had nothing to do with Rovers at all. But I only found that out after grinding my way through it.

Will you apologise to me for wasting my time?

I doubt it, he's gone Full Vinjay.

That made me laugh J*B :lol:

Vinjay we've been here before mate. This is where you go full Vinjay and end up walking around Ewood Park on a cold Wednesday night. Let's just leave it there and wait for it all to blow over.

I've made significant progress in putting my differences with the fans aside while still holding many of the same viewpoints. I've finally accepted that many fans hold different views without constantly challenging or being angered by them. I've accepted I can't keep bringing up Jack Walker's wishes (for instance where Manchester United are concerned) and force them down other people's throats. At least I'll be content knowing how hard I tried.

I've actually enjoyed being back and liked being at the QPR game even if the football wasn't particularly inspirational. I don't want to talk too much publicly about what led to my change in mood as people will just accuse me of seeking sympathy. Plus everyone will say Vinjay's seeking attention again, etc, etc, etc. I must point out that its very likely I'll officially be diagnosed with Aspergers soon (ironically that's been used as an insult towards me on Rovers forums in the past) which unfortunately includes symptoms like obsessive tendencies. As for Manchester City most of you don't know the full story so you might as well stop bringing it up publicly in an attempt to provoke me.

I'll admit that my grudge against the Walker family and trustees is something I'll NEVER let go. As pointed out its not like I knew about the lawsuit and planned this thread all along. Its just unfortunate timing that it happened so soon after returning here. Look at my other posts there wasn't one argument before this matter was brought up.

This is my last post in this thread (yes I said that before but I swear on it this time) any essential questions send them by PM as a couple of members have. I won't mention the trustees or family again anytime soon. Guaranteed...though hopefully someone else will keep the thread going LOL.

Not really interested in this court case but from what I was informed at the time my understanding of the way Jacks legacy worked was that different businesses were left to different family members and BRFC was allocated to Ross and Michaela.

It seemed an odd decision at the time but JW knew he was dying and had a lot of time to think about the consequences of his actions. Premier league football is a dangerous game and can be an absolute money pit in the wrong hands and the propensity to spew fortunes is ever present. He'd witnessed many fortunes being won and lost in football during his time in control of the Rovers so what better way to save the family silver then that to leave the club solely to the two children who had absolutely no affinity with football whatsoever, namely Ross and Michaela. He must have anticipated that they were the ones who could take a dispassionate view i.e. if it's making money then keep it and if it's losing money then bin it off.

Much as JW loved BRFC he surely loved his kids more. Sensible and pragmatic from beyond the grave.

The impression I was under was that the Trust had control of all the business interests/shares like Rovers and FlyBe, and that the various family members basically received a monthly allowance from the Trust from the proceeds of those businesses. This monthly allowance could be used by the individuals for whatever they wanted

The impression I was under was that the Trust had control of all the business interests/shares like Rovers and FlyBe, and that the various family members basically received a monthly allowance from the Trust from the proceeds of those businesses. This monthly allowance could be used by the individuals for whatever they wanted

That's how I heard it, the family (because it's such a big one) along with the businesses are just beneficiaries of the trust fund as was the club. Because the family is ever growing and the businesses were expanding then going through trying times a new guy came in to run it and it was decided to off load some things and streamline the rest as the drains were becoming too great whilst the income was suffering.

I think that would have put a few noses out of joint. Namely Linda who was the wife of Matthewman who Jack put on the board. I was under the impression everything was in trust and run by the trust as they saw fit.

So explain why are just Ross and Michaela involved in the law suit which vinjay provided a link too?

• 2 weeks later...

Said I wouldn't post on this thread again (or post about this subject anywhere for a while) but genuinely just found out about this. The late Jack Hayward of Wolverhampton Wanderers had a major feud with his children. Even to the point where he states in this article that they wanted him dead.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335485/Sir-Jack-Hayward-reveals-vicious-feud-fortune-torn-family-apart.html

Here's what Wolves fans thought of his children...

http://www.wolvesforum.co.uk/showthread.php?8944-Shameful-behaviour

Won't post on the thread again just thought the quotes in the first article were astonishing.

• 1 month later...

Was searching for Egerton-Vernon on google this evening and came up with the outcome of the case brought against him by the Walkers. Scroll down the page to "case 2" the article is citing another case too as part of a presentation on subrogation law.

http://www.elbornes.com/downloads/Articles/Subrogration_Update_-_A_Stevenson_July_2015.pdf

Archived