BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] A New English National Anthem For Sporting Events.

Ok, on the back of a debate in the Football Message Board I thought I'd start a separate thread. Not purely football so posted it here, but Mods feel free to move it to somewhere more appropriate.

Some are happy with The current God Save The Queen anthem for sporting events. However, its been pointed out that its not actually a 'National' anthem as its a Royal Anthem and is really applicable to the countries of the Union and the Commonwealth. Its also a bit of an uninspiring dirge. There are also those who don't have any affinity to it and feel it doesn't represent them and therefore doesn't galvanise people when sung before sporting events.

So post your alternative English National Anthems here.

I'm personally a modernist and can't really be doing with tradition and pageantry, so mine would be.

Stone Roses - This Is The One. Its a modern anthem and would get the support going before a game, which is all it really needs to do. No one is really affected by the words. I'm sure many will disagree!

• Moderation Lead

Would be very happy with 'This is the one'!

However, I feel like a more realistic alternative would be 'Land of Hope and Glory' or maybe 'Abide with me' ?

stone roses ? I would rather sing flower of Scotland than sing to these overated tossers.

As would I if you suggested Motley Crue Abbs, its all about taste :P

Having said that I would prefer Flower Of Scotland to God Save The Queen!

Would be very happy with 'This is the one'!

However, I feel like a more realistic alternative would be 'Land of Hope and Glory' or maybe 'Abide with me' ?

As I said, not really a traditionalist, but could just about go Land Of Hope & Glory, maybe up tempo. But Abide With Me is a funeral service hymn!

• Moderation Lead

As would I if you suggested Motley Crue Abbs, its all about taste :P

Having said that I would prefer Flower Of Scotland to God Save The Queen!

As I said, not really a traditionalist, but could just about go Land Of Hope & Glory, maybe up tempo. But Abide With Me is a funeral service hymn!

The only reason I mentioned 'Abide with me', it always seems to go alright before the Cup Final!

Nothing wrong with God save the Queen, lovely woman thats given her life to representing this great country of ours, privileged yes, but a sacrifice that goes above and beyond for me.

I've sang the national anthem at Cup finals, Charity shields and play off final? Watching England home and away many many times, nothing could stir up the emotions like the national anthem in my opinion, look at the Rugby lads in Australia, superb.

Often the ones calling for change are the ones that have never experienced singing the anthem on a regular basis, keep it as is for me.

Well considering whats happening this week

What about Europe - the final countdown (to the Euroreich) :)

or considering how most of the events end after the hype - Always look on the bright side of life

Or I want to break free by Queen?

Ok, on the back of a debate in the Football Message Board I thought I'd start a separate thread. Not purely football so posted it here, but Mods feel free to move it to somewhere more appropriate.

Some are happy with The current God Save The Queen anthem for sporting events. However, its been pointed out that its not actually a 'National' anthem as its a Royal Anthem and is really applicable to the countries of the Union and the Commonwealth. Its also a bit of an uninspiring dirge. There are also those who don't have any affinity to it and feel it doesn't represent them and therefore doesn't galvanise people when sung before sporting events.

So post your alternative English National Anthems here.

I'm personally a modernist and can't really be doing with tradition and pageantry, so mine would be.

Stone Roses - This Is The One. Its a modern anthem and would get the support going before a game, which is all it really needs to do. No one is really affected by the words. I'm sure many will disagree!

Well BM, Waterfall by the Roses is actually about England! Hav a listen to the words and as far as popular support goes, a quarter of a million rocked up in Manny over the four days last week from all corners of the British Isles. Hav it!!!!

Archived