BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Somme 100 - The Accrington Pals

On 1 July 1916 at 7.20, 720 men of the 11th (Service) Battalion, East Lancashire Regiment - The Accrington Pals, went over the top on the first day of The Battle Of The Somme.

Half an hour later, they had suffered 584 casualties, comprising 303 dead and 281 injured. Lest we forget.

http://s.telegraph.co.uk/graphics/projects/somme-battle-anniversary-accrington/index.html

I hope that the General who sent them over the top to their near certain deaths rots in hell. This was a senseless waste of life. These were men with families and not cannon fodder. It was absolutely stupid.

• Backroom

What an evil war . RIP

Like you said on FB, pal:

Any young people claiming the older generation have 'ruined their future' need to watch the news today.

Here are most of those lads:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/embed/?id=1060010501&media_id=227231"

The men were drawn from not only Accrington but also Blackburn, Burnley and Chorley.

"The result of the H.E. shells, shrapnel, machine-gun and rifle fire was such that hardly any of our men reached the German front trench. The lines which advanced in such admirable order, melted away under fire; yet not a man wavered, broke the ranks or attempted to go back. I have never seen, indeed could never have imagined such a magnificent display of gallantry, discipline and determination." (Brigadier-General H. C. Rees, GOC of 94th Brigade.)

I just wish the ungrateful youth of today could understand what they and so many others gave for their today.

I don't think it's just the youth.

It always takes us humans a massive shock to realise what we've got and to not take it for granted. Whether that's because we are never reminded enough, or because we're complacent and in a comfort zone, I don't know.

At work, we were all sent an email (I work for a big company) explaining that there would be a minute's silence at 13:30 in remembrance. Was disheartened to hear a small group of people in a cluster still laughing and joking until about half way through, at which point someone finally told them to "shush". I'm certain that they weren't doing it deliberately, but it highlights how ignorant, forgetful, and complacent we are.

Will our generation get a real wake up call one day, just as those before us have had?

• Backroom

I don't think it's just the youth.

It always takes us humans a massive shock to realise what we've got and to not take it for granted. Whether that's because we are never reminded enough, or because we're complacent and in a comfort zone, I don't know.

At work, we were all sent an email (I work for a big company) explaining that there would be a minute's silence at 13:30 in remembrance. Was disheartened to hear a small group of people in a cluster still laughing and joking until about half way through, at which point someone finally told them to "shush". I'm certain that they weren't doing it deliberately, but it highlights how ignorant, forgetful, and complacent we are.

Will our generation get a real wake up call one day, just as those before us have had?

It will come if the far right truly do rise again across Europe (as the left seem to be predicting). I seriously hope not, however.

Not directly linked to the Pals but those two separate minute's silences at Ewood v Newcastle in1995 to mark the VE Day golden jubilee and the passing of Noel Brotherston will stay with me forever. 30,000 people and you could hear a pin drop both times. Say what you like about the Geordies but they did themselves proud that night.

Archived