BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2017/18

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Thankyou. 

Rhodes wouldnt be in my team. 

Samuel brings pace and strength Rhodes doesnt. 

40 goals strikeforce that is on the bench in the championship whilst King is scoring goals in the Premier League. Rhodes hasnt. Gestede hasnt regular

We aren't in the Premier League and won't be for a long time. We aren't in the Championship any more, one of the reasons being that we sold off that 40 goal strikeforce and trousered the dosh.

King did nowt for Rovers in 2.5 years, Rhodes and Gestede did. 

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

We aren't in the Premier League and won't be for a long time. We aren't in the Championship any more, one of the reasons being that we sold off that 40 goal strikeforce and trousered the dosh.

King did nowt for Rovers in 2.5 years, Rhodes and Gestede did. 

I wouldn't say King did nowt. He gave a Premier League Club ( Stoke ? ) a real chasing in the F A Cup at Ewood.  Something that neither of Gestede or Rhodes could have done.

If you'd have asked me which of those three had a chance of making it in the Premier League I would have chosen King because he had real pace, the other two were too slow to succeed at top level.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wouldn't say King did nowt. He gave a Premier League Club ( Stoke ? ) a real chasing in the F A Cup at Ewood.  Something that neither of Gestede or Rhodes could have done.

Like I say, 1 game in 2 and a half seasons when he knew he could make a name for himself. Rhodes and Gestede maybe didn't have the individual ability of King but they churned out consistent performances each week in the league rather than a once in a blue moon show like King. 

How many goals did King even notch for us? My memory is of someone constantly getting a sight on goal then fluffing his chances.

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Like I say, 1 game in 2 and a half seasons when he knew he could make a name for himself. Rhodes and Gestede maybe didn't have the individual ability of King but they churned out consistent performances each week in the league rather than a once in a blue moon show like King. 

How many goals did King even notch for us? My memory is of someone constantly getting a sight on goal then fluffing his chances.

8 goals in 74 games but how many did he has a striker in those games

25 goals in 78 games for Bournemouth playing as a striker. In the Premier League

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

He hardly ever played up front though JH.If Mark Hughes or someone of his ilk had been at the football club when King was here then in my opinion we would have seen a lot more of King playing as a frontman and got a lot more out of King.

If tomorrow morning Rovers had the choice of signing either Jordan Rhodes or Josh King you would choose Rhodes??

Just now, islander200 said:

He hardly ever played up front though JH.If Mark Hughes or someone of his ilk had been at the football club when King was here then in my opinion we would have seen a lot more of King playing as a frontman and got a lot more out of King.

If tomorrow morning Rovers had the choice of signing either Jordan Rhodes or Josh King you would choose Rhodes??

Yes I would. I'd work on what they offered during their times at Rovers. Rhodes did the business consistently with a good attitude, King didn't. King had chance after chance in his time at Rovers and for whatever reason couldn't or wouldn't do it here. 

Just now, JHRover said:

Yes I would. I'd work on what they offered during their times at Rovers. Rhodes did the business consistently with a good attitude, King didn't. King had chance after chance in his time at Rovers and for whatever reason couldn't or wouldn't do it here. 

How did he have chance after chance?He rarely played up front for us and he never had a consistent run of games in all his time here..He was also quite young at the time and I do think a more experienced manager would have got more out of him.Eddie Howe didn't take him to Bournemouth on the back of one game against Stoke he seen potential in him,he didn't start great at Bournemouth but Howe stuck with him and he is now being linked with moves for 20 million. 

So presumably you would take Gestede back over King too?You speak a lot of sense most the time but saying you would bring back Rhodes over King at this time is madness

Just now, JHRover said:

That's crazy. Rhodes is a yesterday's man. King is on the way up, he'll be at a better club than Bournemouth next season.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

How did he have chance after chance?He rarely played up front for us and he never had a consistent run of games in all his time here..He was also quite young at the time and I do think a more experienced manager would have got more out of him.Eddie Howe didn't take him to Bournemouth on the back of one game against Stoke he seen potential in him,he didn't start great at Bournemouth but Howe stuck with him and he is now being linked with moves for 20 million. 

So presumably you would take Gestede back over King too?You speak a lot of sense most the time but saying you would bring back Rhodes over King at this time is madness

If he'd have kept himself fit he'd have had a better go. Instead of pretending to be ill ironically when we played Bournemouth he was spotted shopping in Manchester and lunching.

He didn't want to put the effort in and didn't want to be here. Good luck to him as he's come on leaps and bounds but obviously he's grown up.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thankyou. 

Rhodes wouldnt be in my team. 

Samuel brings pace and strength Rhodes doesnt. 

40 goals strikeforce that is on the bench in the championship whilst King is scoring goals in the Premier League. Rhodes hasnt. Gestede hasnt regular

I find it totally baffling that you seem not to see goals as a priority in a forward.

Rhodes has shown throughout his career, you give him a run of games and he will score goals at a higher level, pace and strength is no good if theres nothing consistent on the end of it.

That last sentence is enough to pull your hair out about. They were averaging a goal a game between us.  Are you saying that King would have scored 30 goals? Sorry Jordan, you've scored 20 goals again but we dont need you now because Chaddy will realise once Josh King leaves that he can get more than that. The problem laid in the 9 players behind it and the man in the dugout.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I find it totally baffling that you seem not to see goals as a priority in a forward.

Rhodes has shown throughout his career, you give him a run of games and he will score goals at a higher level, pace and strength is no good if theres nothing consistent on the end of it.

That last sentence is enough to pull your hair out about. They were averaging a goal a game between us.  Are you saying that King would have scored 30 goals? Sorry Jordan, you've scored 20 goals again but we dont need you now because Chaddy will realise once Josh King leaves that he can get more than that. The problem laid in the 9 players behind it and the man in the dugout.

How many goals has Rhodes scored at a " higher level "? I must have missed that one. 

The problem was we were playing yesterday's football with Gestede and Rhodes up front. It was like Jim Fryatt and Malcolm Darling all over again. It may have worked 40 odd years ago but the game has moved on. Other, lesser, teams were out numbering us in midfield and getting the better of us all over the rest of the pitch while our two strikers were stood waiting for a pass downfield.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

If he'd have kept himself fit he'd have had a better go. Instead of pretending to be ill ironically when we played Bournemouth he was spotted shopping in Manchester and lunching.

He didn't want to put the effort in and didn't want to be here. Good luck to him as he's come on leaps and bounds but obviously he's grown up.  

I'm not excusing his application or attitude but in my opinion if we had a more experienced manager we would have got more out of King.If Mark Hughes had been in charge we would have seen a different Josh King

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

He had to the PL is a unforgiving league & EH has good man management skills, I thought he was a flash in the pan when he first started playing well in the top flight but that's a disservice to him has he's carried it on & matured as you've already said. Regarding any comparison to JR & JK 1 seems to be on a decline the other seems to be on the rise.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, islander200 said:

King every day. 

If the choice was Gestede or Rhodes? I would pick Gestede every day. Simple bring more to the table that Rhodes..

53 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Thats crazy. 

You based it on what each player brings to the table 

Rhodes bring goals if you set the team up for him. No pace or hold up play

King brings goals, pace, movement and strength. 

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How many goals since he left us? 

Like TS he is yesterday man. No pace or hold up play. 

King brings movement, pace and strength. 

King is scoring goals at a higher level than Rhodes even will be at

Samuel brings goals plus other things to table like movement and pace. Rhodes is slow and past his best. 

King every day. 

If the choice was Gestede or Rhodes? I would pick Gestede every day. Simple bring more to the table that Rhodes..

Thats crazy. 

You based it on what each player brings to the table 

Rhodes bring goals if you set the team up for him. No pace or hold up play

King brings goals, pace, movement and strength. 

Not for us in the Championship he didn't. He can do it when he wants to as shown at Bournemouth with the big boys and in glimpses when at Rovers. He either couldn't or wouldn't do it every week in the rough and tumble of the Championship. That might partly be down to the manager but I'd argue if he was that good and that determined then he would have forced his way into the first XI and stayed there.

Amazing you refer to King bringing goals yet in 2.5 years at Rovers he scored about 3. Lovely that he's netting for Bournemouth in the Prem with a decent team supplying him but there was none of that whilst at Rovers and he spent more time away injured than he did actually playing.

• Like 1

How many goals since he left us? He's barely started, but about as many as Samuel and Antonsson combined.

Like TS he is yesterday man. No pace or hold up play. 

King brings movement, pace and strength. 

King is scoring goals at a higher level than Rhodes even will be at 

All of this is nonsense, you still havent said how you would have come to the decision to drop a 20 goal striker, or how he was the reason that we didnt get promoted and not the 9 players behind him?

I dont recall you ever saying that Bowyer should have dropped Rhodes for King at the time

Samuel brings goals plus other things to table like movement and pace. Rhodes is slow and past his best. 

Past his best? Hes 27 and never had pace. He's got no confidence because he rarely plays at the moment. Are goals not important now?

Genuinely feel like banging my head against a brick wall talking to you.

The most amazing aspect is not that you seemingly dont appreciate a striker who scores every other game, which is priceless.

Its that in a hypothetical and unrealistic situation, you wouldnt pick him over the strikers we have now.

Just now, JHRover said:

Not for us in the Championship he didn't. He can do it when he wants to as shown at Bournemouth with the big boys and in glimpses when at Rovers. He either couldn't or wouldn't do it every week in the rough and tumble of the Championship. That might partly be down to the manager but I'd argue if he was that good and that determined then he would have forced his way into the first XI and stayed there.

Amazing you refer to King bringing goals yet in 2.5 years at Rovers he scored about 3. Lovely that he's netting for Bournemouth in the Prem with a decent team supplying him but there was none of that whilst at Rovers and he spent more time away injured than he did actually playing.

But is scoring goals now. He scored 8 goals in 74 games for us..

Just face the fact that Rhodes is yesterday man and King is the man who made the most of his career. 

Rhodes is on bench for a championship club. Barely starting games

King is playing at a higher level and scoring goals. He has skills and abality to play at that level whilst Rhodes doesnt. 

But is scoring goals now. He scored 8 goals in 74 games for us..

Just face the fact that Rhodes is yesterday man and King is the man who made the most of his career. 

Rhodes is on bench for a championship club. Barely starting games

King is playing at a higher level and scoring goals. He has skills and abality to play at that level whilst Rhodes doesnt. 

But we arent a Premier League team, we were a Championship team and the first full season after selling him, we were relegated and now are in League 1!!!

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

He made 70+ appearances for Rovers, and was at the club from 2012 to 2015 so plenty of chances to establish himself as a regular in the team and hot property. If he was doing the business on the training ground every week then at some stage in that time period he would have been given a chance to play in his favoured position.

I remember clearly being relieved in 2014 that he was going into the final year of his contract as he had offered nothing to the cause and he was a big earner we were close to getting rid of. Prior to the FA Cup games in early 2015 he had been nothing other than a regular treatment room visitor and bench warmer.

Hindsight is great but at Rovers he was a waste of space really.

• Like 1

Genuinely feel like banging my head against a brick wall talking to you.

The most amazing aspect is not that you seemingly dont appreciate a striker who scores every other game, which is priceless.

Its that in a hypothetical and unrealistic situation, you wouldnt pick him over the strikers we have now.

King is 1 goal in 3 games for his club. 

What Rhodes's record in the same period? If he that good why is behind 3 strikers at Sheff Wed then?

But we arent a Premier League team, we were a Championship team and the first full season after selling him, we were relegated and now are in League 1!!!

King is the better striker and thats he is playing at a higher level and starting games and scoring goals. Rhodes is on the bench at a championship club. 

Just now, JHRover said:

The thing with a player like King is even if he does nothing all game his presence on the field stops the opposition squeezing,the defence can't afford to push up as one decent ball over the top and King would be through on goal as not many defenders would beat him for a pace.Our midfield was so poor at the time and opposition defences could afford to push up with Gestede and Rhodes playing up top.He didn't get many chances playing up front here JH but I can't argue that his attitude or application weren't up to much either.

Sorry Chaddy you're speaking very much with the benefit of hindsight here. Whilst their respective careers currently seem to be going in different directions the fact is Rhodes performed generally very consistently here and King was generally terrible.

You'd rather have Samuel than Rhodes? Deary me. Id ratber have Samuel than Simon Garner if they both had to turn out tomorrow but I'd venture to suggest SG was the better player!

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

He made 70+ appearances for Rovers, and was at the club from 2012 to 2015 so plenty of chances to establish himself as a regular in the team and hot property. If he was doing the business on the training ground every week then at some stage in that time period he would have been given a chance to play in his favoured position.

I remember clearly being relieved in 2014 that he was going into the final year of his contract as he had offered nothing to the cause and he was a big earner we were close to getting rid of. Prior to the FA Cup games in early 2015 he had been nothing other than a regular treatment room visitor and bench warmer.

Hindsight is great but at Rovers he was a waste of space really.

How many of those 70+ appearances where starts?How many where up front on not on the wing when a blind man could see he wasn't a winger

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm still struggling with this. You say it is a fact that Rhodes is yesterdays man, and you seem to have decided his 'legs have gone' aged 25. Have you any real basis for either of those statements or is it just because he's been playing at clubs where he isn't guaranteed 1st team football and so his opportunities are more limited?

In terms of career achievements I think that will be decided once both players have retired.