BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2017/18

I just don't understand why Sheffield Wednesday spent so much money on Rhodes to then leave him sat on their bench. 

Surely they watched videos of him playing for us and Middlesbrough and knew exactly what they were getting. So why shell out £8 million+ and his wages and then not start him? Fair enough if they were going to play him for 90 minutes every week and set up to his strengths because he'll always score 20+ a season if he's given enough time in the team, but as a squad player expected to come off the bench and compete with Fletcher, Hooper, Joao, Winnall etc. for a place in the team, he seems a very expensive and limited option.

For a mid table or bottom half side where he is the main man in the team every week he'll do the business, but at a side that needs to get promotion where he's one of 4-5 quality forwards, I don't get the point in spending what they did when they must have seen his limitations at Rovers and Middlesbrough.

Rhodes scored goals in some terrible teams during his time here, especially when he first came, and continued when we got some better players, he was the main man, the fans favourite, he played every week, his confidence was up and it got to the stage where we took for granted the fact that he was guaranteed to score on average a goal every other game.

He was right to seek a team chasing promotion, but since hes left hes been unable to get a regular run in the side for a manager who trusts him, he cant make an impact of the bench, hes very much a confidence player who needs to play regularly.

One thing is for sure, we havent come close to replacing him and if he came back hed be first name on the team sheet and go on to score 30 goals at this level.

Obviously theres not a cat in hells chance hed come back or we could afford him sadly.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Rhodes scored goals in some terrible teams during his time here, especially when he first came, and continued when we got some better players, he was the main man, the fans favourite, he played every week, his confidence was up and it got to the stage where we took for granted the fact that he was guaranteed to score on average a goal every other game.

He was right to seek a team chasing promotion, but since hes left hes been unable to get a regular run in the side for a manager who trusts him, he cant make an impact of the bench, hes very much a confidence player who needs to play regularly.

One thing is for sure, we havent come close to replacing him and if he came back hed be first name on the team sheet and go on to score 30 goals at this level.

Obviously theres not a cat in hells chance hed come back or we could afford him sadly.

I can't see Messi getting 30 goals a season in this team never mind Rhodes. We don't get enough balls into the box, make enough goal scoring chances etc

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

We sold Rbodes at the right time. His legs were going. He is no longer the Rhodes we had here and I doubt he will reach those highs ever again. 

WOULDNT sign him again

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

We sold Rbodes at the right time. His legs were going. He is no longer the Rhodes we had here and I doubt he will reach those highs ever again. 

WOULDNT sign him again

His legs were going? What makes you say that? He was 25 when we sold him so something wrong if he was losing his fitness at that age, especially for someone who always appeared professional and looked after himself.

He was so successful for us and Huddersfield because he was the main man and in the team every week. He had 20+ a year for 6 years running and none of it was down to his legs. He'd had 11 goals the season before we sold him.

At Middlesbrough and Wednesday he hasn't had the run in the team he had with us, as they have plenty of other options to pick from. That's why he isn't scoring.

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

His legs were going? What makes you say that? He was 25 when we sold him so something wrong if he was losing his fitness at that age, especially for someone who always appeared professional and looked after himself.

He was so successful for us and Huddersfield because he was the main man and in the team every week. He had 20+ a year for 6 years running and none of it was down to his legs. He'd had 11 goals the season before we sold him.

At Middlesbrough and Wednesday he hasn't had the run in the team he had with us, as they have plenty of other options to pick from. That's why he isn't scoring.

Sorry but Rhodes will never reach the levels he did here. He will be abit part player for the rest of his career. Shame for the player cos he had a great attitude and very well here but I think King and Gestede would had been better partnership and might have got us promote. King has gone on to have the better career out of 3 of them. 

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

WOULDNT sign him again

Legs were going? Have you added 10 years to him?

He wouldn't come back and we could never afford him, but he'd score more than the 3 we have now combined, as he did consistently here.

If you had taken Rhodes and his 20+ goals out of the team, we'd have been further away from promotion, not closer.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Legs were going? Have you added 10 years to him?

He wouldn't come back and we could never afford him, but he'd score more than the 3 we have now combined, as he did consistently here.

If you had taken Rhodes and his 20+ goals out of the team, we'd have been further away from promotion, not closer.

You dont know how King and Gestede partnership would have done. Look at the Stoke Cup game. Gestede and King ripped them apart. 

Which striker is scoring goals in the Premier League whilst one is on the bench for a championship club? 

I wouldnt want him back either. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

I watched an excellent Sheffield derby today and was really impressed by United and the job Chris Wilder has done. A 17 year old kid called Brooks for United was truly outstanding and really puts the 'too young' myth to bed. Wednesday just couldn't handle him.

You dont know how King and Gestede partnership would have done. Look at the Stoke Cup game. Gestede and King ripped them apart. 

Which striker is scoring goals in the Premier League whilst one is on the bench for a championship club? 

Strange. You wouldn't want back a model professional who scored 80+ goals in 3 years for us yet you would want a player back who had 1 good game vs Stoke in almost the same period of time.

What King has done since is largely irrelevant as he seldom did it here. Either because he was 'injured' or couldn't be bothered.

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Strange. You wouldn't want back a model professional who scored 80+ goals in 3 years for us yet you would want a player back who had 1 good game vs Stoke in almost the same period of time.

What King has done since is largely irrelevant as he seldom did it here. Either because he was 'injured' or couldn't be bothered.

King was rarely ever played as a striker though.Not excusing his attitude but I don't know how I'd feel never getting a game in my best position when he has since gone on to prove he has a lot more talent than both Rhodes and Gestede

Speaking ofrom King the media are reporting that Everton want to buy him to replace Lukaku I'm sure have a sell on clause

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

One game against 10 men.

The fact that you wouldn't want him back is laughable, he scored more than a goal every other game in the division above for us, and has only struggled since because hes not had regular game time. He proved even with little service for us that he would score goal after goal, but you'd prefer the blunt strikeforce we have now?

Gestede and Rhodes are both subs at that level, but both were scoring 20 a season for us, how could you possibly improve on that? KIng was unlucky but it would have made no sense to break them 2 up.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sorry but Rhodes will never reach the levels he did here. He will be abit part player for the rest of his career. Shame for the player cos he had a great attitude and very well here but I think King and Gestede would had been better partnership and might have got us promote. King has gone on to have the better career out of 3 of them. 

Agree about King and Gestede. However some people blindly supported Gaz when he started dropping them for Brown up front !!

That was the final straw for me with Bowyer.

Edited by Hasta

Just now, islander200 said:

King was rarely ever played as a striker though.Not excusing his attitude but I don't know how I'd feel never getting a game in my best position where he has since gone on to prove he has a lot more talent than both Rhodes and Gestede

He put the effort in for the FA Cup game because he knew he could make a name for himself. And that's exactly what he did, tore Stoke a new one and on that game alone got a move to Bournemouth and he's  thrived in the spotlight of the Premier League.

If he'd have done what he did vs Stoke in the games vs Yeovil, Doncaster and Millwall then we might have got in the play-offs or at least his value would have rocketed and we could have cashed in on him.

When you look what he's done since he's undoubtedly a talent, but big question marks for me on why he never did it in the Championship. He'll only be remembered here for the Stoke game precisely because in 2.5 years that was the only game he really stood out.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

He put the effort in for the FA Cup game because he knew he could make a name for himself. And that's exactly what he did, tore Stoke a new one and on that game alone got a move to Bournemouth and he's  thrived in the spotlight of the Premier League.

If he'd have done what he did vs Stoke in the games vs Yeovil, Doncaster and Millwall then we might have got in the play-offs or at least his value would have rocketed and we could have cashed in on him.

When you look what he's done since he's undoubtedly a talent, but big question marks for me on why he never did it in the Championship. He'll only be remembered here for the Stoke game precisely because in 2.5 years that was the only game he really stood out.

I do get where your coming from but when he was given a game he was put out left.His attitude and application could undoubtedly have been better but Gary Bowyer could have used him better too.King seen himself as a striker but was very rarely played there,i don't lay all the blame on Kings door for his disappointing time here the club could have used him a lot better 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Rhodes wanted out for 12 months before hand. A

Hardly the model.pro is it? 

What King Has done in Premier League is irrelevant? Really. Wonder why you say that?

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

One game against 10 men.

The fact that you wouldn't want him back is laughable, he scored more than a goal every other game in the division above for us, and has only struggled since because hes not had regular game time. He proved even with little service for us that he would score goal after goal, but you'd prefer the blunt strikeforce we have now?

Gestede and Rhodes are both subs at that level, but both were scoring 20 a season for us, how could you possibly improve on that? KIng was unlucky but it would have made no sense to break them 2 up.

Make no sense? Really. We didnt get promotion with them in team. King is being link with Everton now and scoring PL goals for past 2 seasons. Whilst Gestede and Rhodes careers have gone backwards. 

Rhodes thanks for memories but no thanks. 

Yeah the FA Cup which we won 4-1 against Stoke but Gestede and King that day was great. 

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

83 goals in 159 apps for Rovers in the league above where are now, and you wouldn’t take him back?

As if. 

You watch more than enough football to realise the value of a proven, consistent goal scorer in a team.

• Like 1

Just now, davulsukur said:

83 goals in 159 apps for Rovers in the league above where are now, and you wouldn’t take him back?

As if. 

You watch more than enough football to realise the value of a proven, consistent goal scorer in a team.

How many goals and apps since he left 21 months ago?

What King Has done in Premier League is irrelevant? Really. Wonder why you say that?

Make no sense? Really. We didnt get promotion with them in team. King is being link with Everton now and scoring PL goals for past 2 seasons. Whilst Gestede and Rhodes careers have gone backwards. 

Yeah the FA Cup which we won 4-1 against Stoke but Gestede and King that day was great. 

Its a bit late in the day to start hailing King as a brilliant talent. He was at Rovers for 2.5 seasons and apart from a couple of games was useless. If he's decided to knuckle down at Bournemouth then good for him but I saw very little from him at Rovers to wish he was back here. If he came back tomorrow but then reverted back to the King we had last time then we wouldn't really benefit from it. 

Whether its down to his attitude, fitness or his manager, nobody can say his time at Rovers was a success.

Rhodes in 3.5 years said he was upset we didn't allow him to speak to Middlesbrough. After that he was fit, ready to play and banged 11 more league goals in before he was sold. 

Rhodes did the business for Rovers. King did nothing except beat Stoke in the cup but has since done well.

• Like 1

So you are telling me that if Rhodes was available on Tuesday against Rotherham, he wouldnt be the first name on the team sheet?

Talking out of your arse.

As good as King is, at the time that was a 40 goal strikeforce. Problem was the defence was leaky, and the central midfield was Lowe and Williamson.

And to answer "How many goals and apps since he left 21 months ago?" hes barely played but a similar amount to Samuel and Antonsson, 2 players youd start on Tuesday.

4 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

9 in 42. Unsure how many are starts or from the bench.

Roversfan99 nails it. Confidence player. 

Thankyou. 

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

So you are telling me that if Rhodes was available on Tuesday against Rotherham, he wouldnt be the first name on the team sheet?

Talking out of your arse.

As good as King is, at the time that was a 40 goal strikeforce. Problem was the defence was leaky, and the central midfield was Lowe and Williamson.

And to answer "How many goals and apps since he left 21 months ago?" hes barely played but a similar amount to Samuel and Antonsson, 2 players youd start on Tuesday.

Rhodes wouldnt be in my team. 

Samuel brings pace and strength Rhodes doesnt. 

40 goals strikeforce that is on the bench in the championship whilst King is scoring goals in the Premier League. Rhodes hasnt. Gestede hasnt regular