BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oldham away

JBiz

I was going to drive up for this one but missed the boat, I'm sure I'll be regretting it at 2pm tomorrow sat with no radio commentary, and I'm loathed to put those muppets on soccer Saturday on my Tv  :angry:

Another fantastic effort by the fans, especially when you consider we often struggled to fill allocations at Old Trafford, Anfield and Goodison in recent times.

Just goes to show if you price it right and actually try to win games :rolleyes: the fans will turn out.

Have a good trip everyone, lets hope we can bring the points back.

1-2 Rovers

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Im going tomorrow but have had the overall optimism for the season's prospects surgically removed by the revelations that serial non-performers Conway and Bennett run the dressing room and the exciting Chapman has virtually no chance of a start under TM.

Will we put in a shift tomorrow or will it be a Southend/Doncaster/Wimbledon/ Bury type scenario? Who knows? Place your bets.........

Have a beer mate

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Im going tomorrow but have had the overall optimism for the season's prospects surgically removed by the revelations that serial non-performers Conway and Bennett run the dressing room and the exciting Chapman has virtually no chance of a start under TM.

Will we put in a shift tomorrow or will it be a Southend/Doncaster/Wimbledon/ Bury type scenario? Who knows? Place your bets.........

Bennett's worth his place on current form. Regarding Conway, in my opinion he's running out of chances to prove his worth to the team. I'd play him tomorrow though. He's needs to perform or else.

Who would you play in Conways place ? Antonnson ? Who's not a winger, especially in tough away games like this.  Hart ? who played like a novice against Bury. Harper ? Same as Hart. Chapman ? Who the coaching staff have down as an impact player who doesn't know how to defend ? Tomorrow the whole 11 will need to be on their game and get behind the ball at times. We'll need our experienced heads out there.

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Bennett's worth his place on current form. Regarding Conway, in my opinion he's running out of chances to prove his worth to the team. I'd play him tomorrow though. He's needs to perform or else.

Who would you play in Conways place ? Antonnson ? Who's not a winger, especially in tough away games like this.  Hart ? who played like a novice against Bury. Harper ? Same as Hart. Chapman ? Who the coaching staff have down as an impact player who doesn't know how to defend ? Tomorrow the whole 11 will need to be on their game and get behind the ball at times. We'll need our experienced heads out there.

Problem for Mowbray is that he brought a load of attacking midfielders to the club and then suddenly realised the defence wasn't good enough to play the way he wanted to. He thought he'd have Smallwood winning the ball for Whittingham who would then ping the ball forward to the likes of Dack, Chapman, Gladwin etc who would all be buzzing around the striker. A bit like Liverpool play. Reality hit him hard at Roots Hall. Since then he's had to go back to basics just so we can protect the full backs and  win games. I don't believe he any intention of playing 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 this season and so he's got no real cover for Bennett and Conway (our only two genuine wide midfielders). If we're still getting results away from home come January playing the same way then he'll have to invest in some 'Ripley's' and 'Wilcox's' (genuine 'working widemen' as Souey used to describe players like that) to provide competition for Conway and Bennett.

9 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Problem for Mowbray is that he brought a load of attacking midfielders to the club and then suddenly realised the defence wasn't good enough to play the way he wanted to. 

Or he planned for a season with Lenihan, Mulgrew, Ward and young back ups before Lenihan loses 5 months to injury in the first competitive game. Then Ward proves he cannot hack playing higher up, so he has to change tactics to suit.

Luckily, Downing has proven an able partner so I feel that we should be ok in this department, but it's obvious Darragh's injury changed our plans somewhat! He also said as much in the fans meeting.

Just now, Biz said:

Or he planned for a season with Lenihan, Mulgrew, Ward and young back ups before Lenihan loses 5 months to injury in the first competitive game. Then Ward proves he cannot hack playing higher up, so he has to change tactics to suit.

Luckily, Downing has proven an able partner so I feel that we should be ok in this department, but it's obvious Darragh's injury changed our plans somewhat! He also said as much in the fans meeting.

It didn't change the fact that Mowbray thought he could leave two defensively suspect full backs without any protection. His point about Lenihan was more to do with the fact that we have to sit deeper than Mowbray wants when Lenny doesn't play because Ward and Mulgrew couldn't catch a cold once the ball has gone beyond them (as the Donny game showed). A fit again Lenihan won't alter the fact that Caddis and especially Williams will always struggle against a decent. pacey winger if they don't have Bennett and Conway doubling up with them.

Downing has been good. Not sure how quick he is though.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

It didn't change the fact that Mowbray thought he could leave two defensively suspect full backs without any protection. His point about Lenihan was more to do with the fact that we have to sit deeper than Mowbray wants when Lenny doesn't play because Ward and Mulgrew couldn't catch a cold once the ball has gone beyond them (as the Donny game showed). A fit again Lenihan won't alter the fact that Caddis and especially Williams will always struggle against a decent. pacey winger if they don't have Bennett and Conway doubling up with them.

Downing has been good. Not sure how quick he is though.

If he thought we could use Caddis and Williams as wing backs he needs to think again.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

fantastic effort by the fans, especially when you consider we often struggled to fill allocations at Old Trafford, Anfield and Goodison in recent times.

Word on the street is that we might even shift more away than home tickets a la Rochdale. Cracking support if we do.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2017/october/12102017-richie-wellens-previews-blackburn-rovers/

They're expecting 8k with 3.5k from Rovers. Still a good following.

Fair enough, as you say a great following. Reckon we'll actually get a majority away game this season maybe Accy depending on our allocation methinks?

15 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I wanted to but nobody would go with me! Don't understand it really :lol:

Wigan and Bury are both pencilled in but moneys a bit tight. I may just have to suffer at Ewood every other week instead:o

You need someone to go with ? Does it say plus one on tickets these days :lol:

Know the feeling though there used to be 3 car loads for home games and one for most local aways, now there's just me mostly, well apart from three quarters of last season when there wasn't even me !

Anyway still going for a draw Rovers are always sluggish these days after Int breaks unlike like the days they used to jet off to Dubia then follow it up with a stormer.

Just now, tomphil said:

You need someone to go with ? Does it say plus one on tickets these days :lol:

Know the feeling though there used to be 3 car loads for home games and one for most local aways, now there's just me mostly, well apart from three quarters of last season when there wasn't even me !

Anyway still going for a draw Rovers are always sluggish these days after Int breaks unlike like the days they used to jet off to Dubia then follow it up with a stormer.

:)

There used to be 10 of us for home games now there's just two (and one won't go away cos his better half  won't let him, which is probably wise as he's Brahms and Liszt after three pints. I can easily have 4 on a Leo Sayer:D)

We'll have to start a club for jilted Rovers singletons. You never know, we might even get on;)

13 minutes ago, OxSouthernRover said:

my bad, following Exeter City at uni and got a bit muddled. Meant Fleetwood. 

I think Blackpool would have a fair chance of having more Rovers there but we only got around 2k tickets. Plus they are doing works on the railways when we play them so it's buses only from Preston to Blackpool.  Not sure how many tickets we get for Fleetwood.

Archived