BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers Birthday…

I have recently been lucky enough to have come into my possession a copy of what is believed to have been our Club's very first written History.The book was published in 1895 and was given out at the Club's 'Grand Bazaar' event hosted at the Town's Exchange Hall to Club Officials and Event Sponsors.

The 'Bazaar' was held to raise funds for Rovers incurring costs moving to Ewood from Leamington St.There are very few known to exist and are as rare as rocking Horse shyte.I do believe Rovers Memorabilia collector Bernie Horne has a copy in his possession.

Now then..on the very first page it states Rovers were founded at the Town's St Leger Hotel just after Christmas 1874.

Controversy about to unfold?

A few pictures of the Precious Book....

image.png.80e51fd99dcf6bc9eb7804535e9bda47.pngimage.png.937796f1f2493122185823ee5b5d4822.pngimage.png.27d2fe5fd66c2b156a016ab853bf0df8.png

Graham Budd the auctioneers recently sold an even older book.  This was published in 1893.  But it also says 1874.  I always thought our formation was November 5th 1875.  But you never know?  I'm also interested to to find out the 'exact' location of the Leamington Street ground and what we were originally called.  Was it Blackburn Rovers, or just Rovers?

Forrest1.jpg

Edited by Roving Mick
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Now then..on the very first page it states Rovers were founded at the Town's St Leger Hotel just after Christmas 1874.

image.png.80e51fd99dcf6bc9eb7804535e9bda47.pngimage.png.937796f1f2493122185823ee5b5d4822.pngimage.png.27d2fe5fd66c2b156a016ab853bf0df8.png

Interesting find SG. Unless an exact date can be found, I suppose it comes down to the interpretation of ‘just after.’ Seven days after Christmas Day 1874 is 1875.

Edited by Claytons Left Boot
  • Like 1

Rovers' first reported game at Church was played on the old Church C.C. ground, not their current one at West End.  It was where Church, Ossie and Accy merge.  It was owned by Captain Pickup (no relation), C.O. of the local militia.  I can remember going for a pint years ago in the Pickup Arms just up the road, near Rist's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

This is an extract from Harry Kay’s 1948 book which, again, mentions Christmas 1874 when the meeting took place in the St Ledger Hotel in King William Street.

”That night Blackburn Rovers Football Club came into existence.”

73114309-1450-497D-9B91-FE43672C99DE.jpeg

It looks like Rovers played their first proper match in 1875 in "The now famous blue and white quarters"

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

It looks like Rovers played their first proper match in 1875 in "The now famous blue and white quarters"

Yeah, it goes on to mention ‘quarters’ in the Harry Kay book, saying that if you unstitch the shirt and unfold it, there are then four quarters, ie. two of blue and two of white.

Interestingly, it states we played for a few games, in one of the early seasons, in ‘eighths,’ so similar to that of Bristol Rovers today. This kit is not shown on the Historical Kits website and I’ve never seen that referenced before.

• Like 2

So we aren't really sure about

1. being formed at Xmas 1874 or 5th Nov 1875

2. Ever playing in the white shirt with Maltese cross.

3. Ever playing in blue and white eighths.

Also, if Lewis and Constantine had attended Shrewsbury School, why did they choose the colours of Malvern School ( green and white quarters) replacing the green with Cambridge blue?

Yes to all but three times clear evidence has been given to Rovers being founded in 1874.

While we're at it...Rovers historical nicknames : 'The Blue and Whites ' or 'The Rovers'

'The Riversiders'🙄...a name for fans who sit in the Riverside Stand at Ewood Park ffs.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Further investigation reveals Old Malvernians are now based in London. Their AWAY colours are the green and white quarters with green socks. Malvern school was founded in 1865.

Shrewsbury School was founded in 1552. In the 1860s it had close connections with Cambridge University particularly with a boat race known as "bumping". The oars of Shrewsbury were black with a white Maltese cross on them.

Perhaps Lewis and Constantine played for Shrewsbury School against the visiting Malvern School who were wearing their away colours in a match in accordance with the Cambridge Football Rules.

Wiki says regarding Shrewsbury School, "The school has an 1856 copy of the Cambridge rules of football, predating the 1863 rules of the FA."

So Lewis and Constantine perhaps liked the Malvern strip having played against them in the late 1860s or early 1870s.