BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness must go ?

rover6

BobF - In a swings and roundabout way you might have hit it on the head there -in my opinion he should stop his SKY appearance and concentrate on our problems (if that makes any sense)

Coming back to the I/view that MC comments on - listening to it you get the feeling that Souness feels badly let down by certain players and that he made a mistake in his signings. He comments on his own performance but also on the underperforming players, and looking at his expression on his face seems perplexed as to what he has to do next.

All a bit worrying really - but he will sort it - just needs to sort out what we do in training :razz:

You have to look at the injuries to key players, some of the players that have been playing recently are reserve players at the best of times: mahon, danns, douglas, johansson, taylor. I believe souness is doing well considering the small squad he has at the moment, you`ll see when all the players recover. I believe we can go for Europe next year IF we stay in the Premiership.

BobF - In a swings and roundabout way you might have hit it on the head there -in my opinion he should stop his SKY appearance and concentrate on our problems (if that makes any sense)

Should he spend 24 hours thinking about Rovers?

Should he be sorting out the back four while he's on teh crapper?

some of the players that have been playing recently are reserve players at the best of times: mahon, danns, douglas, johansson, taylor.

Taylor played more games than Berg last season, and as many as Short.. and we kept a good few clean sheets.

The problem has been never being able to pick a settled side from one game to another.  

Of course Souness will sound miserable - he'd just found out a player he'd been chasing for weeks had turned him down.  Hence the "it feels like a kick in the @#/?" quote.   What do you want him to do, go around smiling like Yorkie..

some of the players that have been playing recently are reserve players at the best of times: mahon, danns, douglas, johansson, taylor.

Taylor played more games than Berg last season, and as many as Short.. and we kept a good few clean sheets.

The problem has been never being able to pick a settled side from one game to another.  

Of course Souness will sound miserable - he'd just found out a player he'd been chasing for weeks had turned him down.  Hence the "it feels like a kick in the @#/?" quote.   What do you want him to do, go around smiling like Yorkie..

Yellow card for Ste please!. Saying something complimentary about Taylor. Not allowed on this board.

:O

I was one of those who thought GS should reduce his Sky commitments whilst we were struggling and to be fair I was recently thinking it's quite noticeable he has done so.

(Unless I've missed him every time he's been on.)

I was one of those who thought GS should reduce his Sky commitments whilst we were struggling and to be fair I was recently thinking it's quite noticeable he has done so.

(Unless I've missed him every time he's been on.)

To be honest I don't think it matters. At least he gets to see other teams in a scouting capacity, which can't do us any harm whatsoever.

He'll also be able to decide which players we should be looking to sign and then, subsequently, miss out on.  

Oooohh - get her!!

As long as he still gives his all to Rovers then everything is fine. If he is not in the SKY studio he would only be at home watching it on T.V wouldnt he! It shouldnt affect the  team, just a bit extra money for Souey.

Didn't say all the time Bryan - just to concentrate more on the problems we have- which in all essence is what he is paid for.

Souness - no doubt gets a good salary from the club for the job he is paid to do - it can't do him any good at the moment if he is here, there and everwhere attending other commitments when there are more urgent matters to hand to deal with.

As I have said, Souey 'is da man' to sort and he will , I just think it will help if he becomes a bit more stubborn and selfish(if he can) and gets the players doing what they should be doing - and if that means more training then so be it (whatever that is they do in training!!)

I agree that he should concentrate on kicking some butt, but I'm not sure that doing work for Sky interferes with being manager of Rovers.

I think they concentrate on conceding goals in training. Dwights stays behind afterwards for a bit of "toothy grin" training.

- and if that means more training then so be it (whatever that is they do in training!!)

Interesting in Duff's interview in 442, he says the training at Chelsea is a lot harder than it was at Rovers.

As for Souness on Sky, I think he should do more, it's a refreshing reminder of how much footballing sense the guy talks and how lucky we are to have him at Rovers.

As for judging Souey, The club have the 8th highest wage bill in the league. Hence, finishing above 8th place is seen as success. Finishing below 8th place is seen as underachieving.

Souey knows this, so maybe that's why he will take a look at himself at the end of the season.

[As for Souness on Sky, I think he should do more, it's a refreshing reminder of how much footballing sense the guy talks

If that is the case why do some of his team selections and tactics appear to make no sense at all?

[As for Souness on Sky, I think he should do more, it's a refreshing reminder of how much footballing sense the guy talks

If that is the case why do some of his team selections and tactics appear to make no sense at all?

He started reading this board and doing what all you Souness-bashers suggested he should that's why.

- and if that means more training then so be it (whatever that is they do in training!!)

Interesting in Duff's interview in 442, he says the training at Chelsea is a lot harder than it was at Rovers.

As for Souness on Sky, I think he should do more, it's a refreshing reminder of how much footballing sense the guy talks and how lucky we are to have him at Rovers.

Tris

Not disagreeing with him being on Sky and do agree that he does talk sense - just put it off for the time being or reduce it considerably considering the problems we have at the moment.

I do think we are lucky having him and in all reality hope it is for the forseeable future, hence the need to concentrate more on the Rovers. :brfc:  :brfc:

Didn't say all the time Bryan - just to concentrate more on the problems we have- which in all essence is what he is paid for.

Souness - no doubt gets a good salary from the club for the job he is paid to do - it can't do him any good at the moment if he is here, there and everwhere attending other commitments when there are more urgent matters to hand to deal with.

As I have said, Souey 'is da man' to sort and he will , I just think it will help if he becomes a bit more stubborn and selfish(if he can) and gets the players doing what they should be doing - and if that means more training then so be it (whatever that is they do in training!!)

Yeah but in all fairness what Rovers work can he expected to be doing at 7pm every night?  Most of his work has/should be done on the training ground.  Fair enough he could be expected to make the odd phone call here and there, checking on players availability but apart from that?  I can't see any problem with it myself.

Yeah but in all fairness what Rovers work can he expected to be doing at 7pm every night?  Most of his work has/should be done on the training ground.  Fair enough he could be expected to make the odd phone call here and there, checking on players availability but apart from that?

Too true matey, like all of us Souness (salary £2 million plus) has to do a bit of moonlighting to help pay the mortgage and a few extras for the kids.

Yeah but in all fairness what Rovers work can he expected to be doing at 7pm every night?  Most of his work has/should be done on the training ground.  Fair enough he could be expected to make the odd phone call here and there, checking on players availability but apart from that?

Too true matey, like all of us Souness (salary £2 million plus) has to do a bit of moonlighting to help pay the mortgage and a few extras for the kids.

Thats not the point though is it?  People are saying that he should give it up and concentrate on Rovers.  My point is that the amount of work he could be doing for Rovers in the evenings is somewhat limited.  

If it was the case that he was on Sky instead of meeting Nicky Butt and his agent (hypothetically!) then fair doos.  But its not likely now is it?

It's got nothing to do with his Sky commitments at all, imo, Souness buggered up the transfer dealings in the summer, leaving us in deep trouble.

Selling Duff - fair enough, we got £17 million.

But with that £17 million - have we bought anyone who comes near to replacing Duff?

When we had Gillespie and Duff on the wings, Souness complained that fielding out and out wingers was detrimental to the team's defensive strength.

SO out go the pacy wingers, and in come players who are not going to open up defences but simply work hard and get the tackles in. Emerton has a bit of skill but you can see why he predominantly played right back for Feyenoord.

Now we don't have bonafide wingers - has our defence record improved? NO, it's got bloody worse and to make matters worse, our only real attacking threat - Duff, has not been replaced with a similarly creative player.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.