BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hooligans Yet Again

Funny how the english press are playing down what happened last night. Nothing on bbc.co.uk and apparently 'minor scuffles' ocurred accrding to sky.com/news (playing it down as if it was ok - unbelievable!). In case you dont know as it's not being reported over there much but a group of english 'fans' threw a gas cannister into the middle of a popular local event in Lisbon at about 1am in the morning. It was a procession i think and Marca reported that people experienced breathing difficulties and eye irritations. Not many were arrested as they managed to get away from riot police.

It really makes me angry that people are sick enough to do this, they obviously have very sad and boring lives if they call this their idea of fun, and I know the excuse will be that they had been drinking, but if thats what you do when you drink then you shouldnt drink at all. Disgusted.

Absolutely, Soueyisgod.

The worst part of it is that the usual hysteria will follow and there will be an excuse to ban English fans - the majority of whom are decent law-abiding people who just want to follow their team.

First of all its a major embarassment everytime this happens whether it be friendlies or tournaments. People arrested and caught on camera should be heavily fined or jailed rather than just deported back over here.

However as for playing the incidents down its been all over Sky News, BBC 24 News and ITV news this morning. It's also reported here. The fact is there are over 30,000 England fans there and there were 2 arrests. There's probably more arrests in Blackburn centre on a Saturday night.

Contrary to your views I actually think the press report every incident they can find regarding England fans. You never hear about arrests of fans from other countries but I'm pretty sure they occur.

Oh, and I'll just add that we are far worse than other countries and again anyone caught should have their knackers chopped off. thumbs-up.gif

Edited by Hasta

Threw pepper spray at a coach full of local band members,many of them young teenagers in tears according to reports....JHC! even the 'old school' English hooligans of yesteryear must be holding their heads in shame and complete embarrassment at this one.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Funny how soueyisgod is playing up what happened last night.

An outbreak of violence so serious that the four arrested have since been released by the Police without charge (as reported on Sky Sports News in the last half hour).

Quality posts the above 2. smile.gif I agree that they report anything they can find on tv, just couldnt find it on websites and on Sky they seemed to play it down. I had a gut feeling something had happened when i woke up this morning and lo-and behold, as soon as I picked up Marca, there it was. bbc.co.uk/sport is now carrying a story showing a picture of a 'typical' looking thug. It really makes me angry, and I was also against a ban but to be honest it is another way of perhaps really turning all the decent people against these idiots and it is our responsibility to eliminate the problems they cause, not the poor Portugues authorities, who turned up for work last night and were abused by the idiots in the photos.

It's bad enough for the people in Lisbon that the english 'fans' dont blend in with the culture and go around drunk in the streets, without having to stand this barbaric hooligan behavior. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

In refering to quality posts i meant the first 2 after my initial post. And Bob Flemming if you are playing them down as nothing incidents then you are someone with little integrity. However this doesnt surprise me. Whether people were charged or not, it shouldnt have happened in the first place. Also as for people behaving in Blackburn on sat night then perhaps that shouldnt happen as much either. The way to do it is to cut down on binge drinking. Perhaps extend licensing hours past 11pm? As unfortunately i cant see people changing their nasty drinking habits.

Whether people were charged or not, it shouldnt have happened in the first place. Also as for people behaving in Blackburn on sat night then perhaps that shouldnt happen as much either. The way to do it is to cut down on binge drinking. Perhaps extend licensing hours past 11pm? As unfortunately i cant see people changing their nasty drinking habits.

At the end of the day drink is the man catalyst for most violence like this. You may not be aware but last orders in Blackburn centre pubs at the weekend has been 2am for quite a while. Does it stop binge drinking? Nope, IMO it makes it worse as people just binge drink for longer. Rightly or wrongly it's the English way!

Cheers soueyisgod - that saves me from buying the Daily Mail tomorrow. Hooligans, Binge Drinking, Pub Opening Hours - it's all there. Perhaps a paragraph on Asylum? A little verse on The Euro? You'll have all the bases covered then.

I wasn't playing it down, it just seems strange that they've been released without charge.

As SG194 has said, be careful, because if the sun's too hot and they have too much nasty lager then England fans do actually eat people. In one. I read it on the internet.

Completely agree. It is funny though how people in other countries can drink and be fine, there's nowhere near as much violence in Ireland for example and they drink as much as the English. I ony suggested the licensing hours as I know its been banded about for some time now and also there is a lot less violence on nights out over here and clubs are open all night where you can drink until around 8 or 9am - not thats that is a good thing.

Stop creating.

The bottom line is that the portuguese police arrested four english people (2 of whom were from a stag party) and have released them WITHOUT CHARGE. Do you know what that means? If not, it means they did nothing wrong. Do you know which country has had the most arrests so far? Spain. Thats right, its not England

And believe me, if our 'fans' start misbehaving I for one will condemn them. But to start this whole nonsense after four arrests (incidentally how many were there in Blackburn Town Centre last night? I'd guess in excess of 100) is bordering on the ridiculous. Do you fancy a job as "sensasional journalist" for one of the red tops?

Stop creating.

The bottom line is that the portuguese police arrested four english people (2 of whom were from a stag party) and have released them WITHOUT CHARGE. Do you know what that means? If not, it means they did nothing wrong. Do you know which country has had the most arrests so far? Spain. Thats right, its not England

And believe me, if our 'fans' start misbehaving I for one will condemn them. But to start this whole nonsense after four arrests (incidentally how many were there in Blackburn Town Centre last night? I'd guess in excess of 100) is bordering on the ridiculous. Do you fancy a job as "sensasional journalist" for one of the red tops?

Totally agree. Souey Is God needs to calm down its only 4 arrests.

Tell that to the people who had breathing difficulties due to drunken idiots in baseball caps.

And these people were English?

Come on. Wake up and smell the coffee. If what you saying happened and was done by English people do you not think it would be all over the TV and Radio news? Our press don't care about the consequences, they just blow things our of all proportion (very similar in fact to your own technique - are you Rupert Murdoch in disguise?)

Stop over reacting.

Do you know which country has had the most arrests so far?  Spain.  Thats right, its not England

What do you think to that Soueyisgod?........

35-50k!!! England fans expected in Portugal...... only 4 arrests and those released without charge MAGNIFICENTLY WELL BEHAVED I WOULD SAY!

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

In case you dont know as it's not being reported over there much but a group of english 'fans' threw a gas cannister into the middle of a popular local event in Lisbon at about 1am in the morning

And you believe everything you read in the paper do you?

I live in portugal so I'll probably the most informed aroud here..

But not yet. Haven't seen the news today!!

In lisbon, there's a big local party this weekend. There are thousands on the street celebrating.

This year, it's even more people on the streets.

So, it's quite normal what happened.

As for them being released with no charges, that might have a simple explanation... The Euro is just starting and there's no need to make a big deal out of it.

As soon as I have more details, i'll tell you about it.

Funny how the english press are playing down what happened last night. Nothing on bbc.co.uk and apparently 'minor scuffles' ocurred accrding to sky.com/news (playing it down as if it was ok - unbelievable!). In case you dont know as it's not being reported over there much but a group of english 'fans' threw a gas cannister into the middle of a popular local event in Lisbon at about 1am in the morning. It was a procession i think and Marca reported that people experienced breathing difficulties and eye irritations. Not many were arrested as they managed to get away from riot police.

It really makes me angry that people are sick enough to do this, they obviously have very sad and boring lives if they call this their idea of fun, and I know the excuse will be that they had been drinking, but if thats what you do when you drink then you shouldnt drink at all. Disgusted.

As im apparently a hooligan according to soueyisgod as i mentioned having a drink in another thread, i thought i would add my tuppence.

I live less than 3 kilometres from the faro-loule stadium, and yesterday spent the day at the beach with the wife and the kids, now who do you think were the loudest, rowdiest and most drunken people there?

The Spanish.

Granted there were lots of police present and most of the banter between everyone was fairly friendly, but to call this an exclusively english problem is close to idiocy. Both France and Holland have hooligan issues as well and in any group of people regardless of race, colour or creed there are always bound to be a few idiots, especially when alcohol is introduced into the mix.

I just thought i would add before someone accuses of me sticking up for hooligans that i am in NO WAY defending the action of hooligans if they were english or anything else for that matter, personally i'd prefer if they were prevented from travelling to ANY sporting event ANYWHERE, perhaps even 'tagging' renowned ones so the police could track them.

Edited by ptholt

Do you know which country has had the most arrests so far?  Spain.  Thats right, its not England

What do you think to that Soueyisgod?........

35-50k!!! England fans expected in Portugal...... only 4 arrests and those released without charge MAGNIFICENTLY WELL BEHAVED I WOULD SAY!

According to sky one England fan has been detained.

Police tried to clear the road after the incidents last night. Soueyisgod England fans do have a reputation abroad and it doesn’t help when foreigners like yourself stir things up for the sake of it.

Well said SIMON GARNERS 194, for the amount of England fans in Portugal, biggest away following ever apparently, only a few arrests have been made.

You think that’s bad soueyisgod then you should have been in Marseille for the World Cup in 98.

What I saw from a majority then of England fans was appalling.

Soueyisgod – Your country is hosting a great tournament and from the Portuguese people which have been interviewed on television here all seem to be enjoying the atmosphere with the England fans.

Get out there and enjoy it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.