BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Passion For England Than Brfc

Just catching up this thread. Revidge I understand exactly where you're coming from. Rovers is gut wrenching emotion....that's the difference

Beaten by two France goals in the last two minutes; the agony and drama of another penalty shoot-out. How much gut-wrenching emotion do you want?

Looking back over the years, I've had far more kick-the-cat moments with England than I have with Rovers.

The problem with England is the hope, because it always promises to be fulfilled but never is. With Rovers, I do not expect to reach the promised land, so I am never disappointed.

prem title ,worthy cup winners ...JIM YOU REALLY DO TAKE THE PISH.

WHAT WOULD YOU LLIKE US TO WIN BEFORE YOU ARE CONTENTED?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with international tournaments is that if you screw up, you have to wait another 2 years to try to put it right.

Despite pathetic playground taunts from Revidge, I maintain that I support both England and Blackburn equally. There's no conflict, the two peacably co-exist.

And yes, I am still mega-flipped off about Thursday.

If you want to equate the emotions, losing to Germany in the semi's (twice) was as bad as screwing up in the play-offs with Rovers. Gutting.

Don't get me wrong here, when Lampard scored I was jumping about like a madman but for me the effect of watching England is less emotional than Rovers.

I think as Rovers play week in, week out we have a more intense relationship with Rovers, rather than an England squad that plays a game every two months and whose players we're cheering against for the rest of the season.

Rovers over England any time for me, Rovers is more exclusive whereas England it's everyone supporting them. Maybe it's just me, but personally I prefer to be part of a small group.

Exactly,

I'd rather be at:

(a) Wembly celebrating promotion

(cool.gif Anfield celebrating the premiership

© In a pub in Manchester celebrating promotion

(d) At Cardiff

Than anything else in the whole wide world.

Supporting England - ephemeral, trivial, premature ejaculation, conventional, bombastic, futile, endurable, forgettable....

Supporting Rovers - eternal, requisite, inorgasmia, idiosyncratic, authentic, desperate, gut-wrenching, etched on yer fleurkin' mind forever.....

Chalk 'n' cheese...

The candyfloss is over...

Bring on the banquet - maggots an' all!!

Like an addiction part of us wishes to be free of it for ever but underneath we know we cannot do without the dirty bitch mother-fleurkler.

Arte et Labore unsure.gifrover.gifrover.gif

I maintain that I support both England and Blackburn equally. There's no conflict, the two peacably co-exist.

And yes, I am still mega-flipped off about Thursday.

exactly bryan ,I also can add my beloved Broncos to that gut wrenching stomach churning list of following sports teams.Each time one of these teams wins im happy as pigs are in poop and also if they lose i get equally as angry.

Cant believe people who say that rovers is all there is .I also rant for cricket,lancs and england ,boxing ,rugby league ,wigan and GB.

Just catching up this thread. Revidge I understand exactly where you're coming from. Rovers is gut wrenching emotion....that's the difference

Beaten by two France goals in the last two minutes; the agony and drama of another penalty shoot-out. How much gut-wrenching emotion do you want?

Looking back over the years, I've had far more kick-the-cat moments with England than I have with Rovers.

The problem with England is the hope, because it always promises to be fulfilled but never is. With Rovers, I do not expect to reach the promised land, so I am never disappointed.

prem title ,worthy cup winners ...JIM YOU REALLY DO TAKE THE PISH.

WHAT WOULD YOU LLIKE US TO WIN BEFORE YOU ARE CONTENTED?

That isn't the point he was making at all though.

Having previously said there was no difference in my feelings toward England and Rovers I must admit that now the hype around Euro2004 has calmed down a bit that I'm back to my being more concerned about Rovers than England. It isn't that i don't support England or wish them to win, just that it's a rather temporary thing. When the championship is over for them they largely fade into the background. Rovers are more a permanent and continual aspect of life. England will become important again but not in the same way as Rovers. Not to say that I support England any less, just that there is a rather subtle difference in feelings towards a club side and the national side.

However, I do think that the point made by Revidge regarding the people in the pub was slightly skewed. It isn't really fair to compare the most important England games for a couple of years with a Rovers match on the TV. An England-Portugal quarter final is hardly in the same nerve-tingling excitement bracket of a Super Sunday brought to you from the Walkers Stadium between Leicester and Rovers. If you are to compare it to a Rovers match it would at least have to be a match against United or something. When Rovers played Chelsea at Stamford Bridge the game was on TV in the pub (well...Scandinavian TV but we shoudn't mention that...) and the pub was packed. This was merely one out of 38 league games whereas the England game was their most important for years, If anything Rovers attracts far more loyal support, month after month (not just once in a blue moon) than England ever can hope to.

So....i'm trying to say that I know where you are coming from but I think you are wrong. The support the local populace gives Rovers when they need is far more consistent and happens much more often than when they give England support.

Not knocking enthusiasm for the England football team but why are people who show no apparent interest in domestic football and more particularly in brfc so lathered up about england?

And how can that interest be tapped? I'm sure they're not all closet ManUre fans?

Come on Rev you are brighter than that. It's the whole national pride thing, people who don't even watch footy will jump on the St George flag waving wagon. It's a feel good thing and draws people together.

You might as well ask why so many people watch a Royal Wedding when no-one shows any interest in a local one. Poor analogy I know but you get my drift I'm sure.

I have always been almost as keen on England games as Rovers, I would most likely pick Rovers to watch if both were playing at the same time. But what is odd, with England the joy of a big win (not felt it much) or the sorrow of a tournanment loss seems to last longer and run deeper than a similar event with Rovers. Rovers win and losses I get over the happiness or sadness much quicker. Whe England go out of a top tournament I am usually done with it, I tend not to watch anymore 'cept perhaps the final. Rovers go out of the FA Cup etc, I still watch as much as I can of that cometition.

Losses/wins in playoffs or relegation/promotion would be the only exception to this, cos those emotions carry throught to the next season. But with out a doubt the two can and do coexist, like having two kids do you have to have a favourite, can't you just love them both.

Edited by USABlue

''But what is odd, with England the joy of a big win (not felt it much) or the sorrow of a tournament loss seems to last longer and run deeper than a similar event with Rovers. Rovers win and losses I get over the happiness or sadness much quicker. ''

I'm completely the opposite USA, it would take a lot of time for me to get any say domestic cup final defeat for Rovers out of my system compared to an En-ger-land defeat....everyone to their own I suppose!

Maybe, just maybe the hype of the tournament might get a few of the regions new footi enthusiasts

(I've heard several cases of non believers getting excited about the sport this summer) rolling up to Ewood to see live games. Lucky for us the seats aren't available at other grounds, and if we have a few decent results early on we could get some hooked. Maybe us long term sufferers and addicts should warn the poor misguided fools. wink.gifwink.gif

Rovers first & Rovers last. Whilst I will always be proud to call myself English, I am essentailly a Blackburn Blue. England is a good second choice. Also, is it just me or are we alienated from the England set-up, even when we were successful we were never particularly well represented in the England squads. Obviously Shearer was always there but few others got a consistent run out & the treatment of Sutty was a joke. And why are we never chosen to host England games? I know we had the U21s against Greece, but surely we deserve more than that! No I'll stick with my Rovers thank you,

England are an interesting diversion, like a Friday night fumble up the Cav, but supporting them would be like cheating on the wife. tinykit.gif

''And why are we never chosen to host England games? I know we had the U21s against Greece, but surely we deserve more than that!''

Mmmmm interesting comment,always thought grounds had to have a capacity of roughly over 33k to hold an England international....didn't they play against Croatia at PORTMAN RD not too long ago??? huh.gif

Agreed,Long overdue on East Lancashire soil.

• Guest unlocked this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.