BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Passion For England Than Brfc

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But another way of putting it is, would you rather see England win the European Championships? Or, would you rather Rovers won the League?

This is an interesting debate. As an outsider who cannot possibly have any real emotional attachment to the championships, I have a different take on the issue

To put it in my context, it would be like asking me if I would rather Rovers win the league, or Australia make the World Cup. Firstly, I am bitterly disappointed by any Rovers defeat as I yearn to see them excel and succeed, but match that with an Australian international and by heart beats Green and Gold.

I guess from my point of view and I dare say many Aussies, at International level we are starved of any modicum of success. the simple prospect of us watching an international game against quality opposition is rare enough to send tingling sensations through the body. I think because you guys have a constant international scene the gap between club and country isn't so large, but here it is immensely different. Our national competition is a joke and is going through a complete restructure which I hope will improve things, but who knows. Our best players have to move to the other side of the world and for us to watch them in an international on our own soil is overwhelming. This is a concept that I doubt you would be familiar with as international football is ingrained in your culture.

Don't get me wrong when the Socceroos aren't playing I bleed blue and white, but when they are Ewood and everything about it is pushed aside.

Oh and by the way, bad luck. It wasn't a foul.

England playing in a major tournament helps unite the country. It gets casual observers involved in football.

It's not a disturbing phenomenon at all. I can't believe some of the balls I read on here sometimes.

And once the tournament's over then a lot of people will have no interest in footy until the next one, that's the way it is. Some people think there's shame in being a "plastic" football fan, as if it's some sort of black mark against your family name. Pathetic.

Bryan, calm down dear, read your signature.

When I said "disturbing phenomenon" tongue was very much in cheek.

(Although I personally would take Rovers winning the FA Cup this season over England winning Euro 2004 anytime.)

What I still don't understand is why these people can suddenly turn from apparently not being interested in football to foaming at the mouth fanatics.

To me either you're interested in football or you're not.

While there's always some element of people jumping on the "cool to be an England fan" bandwagon once every 2 years, I've never noticed it to this such an extent as with this tournament.

Lucky that I'm not so emotionally lop-sided that I can support both my team and my country with passion and pride. Pointless thread.

So the fact that attendances at Ewood are on the decline whilst interest in football in general is rising is pointless? huh.gif

England playing in a major tournament helps unite the country. It gets casual observers involved in football.

It's not a disturbing phenomenon at all. I can't believe some of the balls I read on here sometimes.

And once the tournament's over then a lot of people will have no interest in footy until the next one, that's the way it is. Some people think there's shame in being a "plastic" football fan, as if it's some sort of black mark against your family name. Pathetic.

Bryan, calm down dear, read your signature.

When I said "disturbing phenomenon" tongue was very much in cheek.

(Although I personally would take Rovers winning the FA Cup this season over England winning Euro 2004 anytime.)

What I still don't understand is why these people can suddenly turn from apparently not being interested in football to foaming at the mouth fanatics.

To me either you're interested in football or you're not.

While there's always some element of people jumping on the "cool to be an England fan" bandwagon once every 2 years, I've never noticed it to this such an extent as with this tournament.

I understand what you're saying revidge and i also get the same sharp tounged response when bringing up the subject.

It's an observation more than anything.

My girlfriend does the same, she's commenting on the football and style of play like a true pundit (Which is where i'm getting my sudden knowledge from tongue.gif ). But will she come to Rovers with me? Will she balls. Ah well, more nights out in jumping jacks laughing at neil in future laugh.gif

For all of these people that don't care about England, but care passionately about Rovers, let's have a hypothetical question.

Let's say England win Germany 06, how will you react? Personally, I think I'd probably drink myself to death, and generally go bonkers. Will you lot be joining in, or will you be sat at home with a sixpack droning on about how "winning a World Cup is alright, but it doesn't compare to Rovers beating Bolton on a wet Wednesday in November"?

Well as you rightly say you wouldn't be overly bothered aout rovers as you've only been to one game in the last five years. wink.gif

Lucky that I'm not so emotionally lop-sided that I can support both my team and my country with passion and pride. Pointless thread.

So the fact that attendances at Ewood are on the decline whilst interest in football in general is rising is pointless? huh.gif

Just because there are more people watching England in pubs does not mean that the interest in football has increased. It is the mentality of the nation, the media driven euphoria of nationalistic identity embodied in a sporting event.

I bet that if you watch an England friendly in a pub there would not be the same number of people by a long way. People go to watch the games in the pub to join in with the atmosphere of the competition and International tournbaments provide that atmosphere.

It is not a reflection on the trend of football's popularity in the area. It is merely a measure of the scope to which people affected by the atmosphere of the tournament.

I remember watching the curling final in the Winter Olympics. I never thought of myself as a Rhona Martin fan. It was a social fad and nothing more. Exactly like what you describe seeing in the pub, though on a much larger scale.

Just because there are more people watching England in pubs does not mean that the interest in football has increased. It is the mentality of the nation, the media driven euphoria of nationalistic identity embodied in a sporting event.

I bet that if you watch an England friendly in a pub there would not be the same number of people by a long way. People go to watch the games in the pub to join in with the atmosphere of the competition and International tournbaments provide that atmosphere.

It is not a reflection on the trend of football's popularity in the area. It is merely a measure of the scope to which people affected by the atmosphere of the tournament.

I remember watching the curling final in the Winter Olympics. I never thought of myself as a Rhona Martin fan. It was a social fad and nothing more. Exactly like what you describe seeing in the pub, though on a much larger scale.

That's me told.

A+

smile.gif

*sigh*

The one thing that annoys me from reading these comments is that it appears (some) people believe if you support Rovers and don't give a monkeys about England then you're a better Rovers fan than someone who cares about both. I've seen this before too, just never felt angry enough to point it out.

I support both equally...they have nothing to do with each other so inventing hypethetical situations (I would choose Rovers to win instead of England blah blah blah) is pathetic. Well done for being a better fan than the rest of us though.

I'm completely different, stood there thinking "Calm down it's only England"

Very odd point of view Revidge.

This is our national team, after all, playing in a major tournament, so I would be very disappointed if the country were not getting excited.

Even the carers in my residential home, none of whom are real footy fans, have been glued to the telly over the past fortnight.

Generally, I don't take alot of interest in England friendly matches but for the big tournaments I get as wound up as if I were watching Rovers. I even put my best teeth in so that I can shout at the TV properly.

Even the carers in my residential home

I even put my best teeth in so that I can shout at the TV properly.

laugh.giflaugh.gif Why do you do it Jim? Everyone knows you're about 36.

For me it's not a case of people having more passion for England than BRFC. It's just a case of everyone getting drawn into it by the media and the general excitement that seems to be everywhere whenever a big tournament is on. People prefer to be part of something like this rather than be left out. This tournament was probably hyped up even more than the last World Cup IMO.

It's different with Rovers though. People are less inclined to jump on that band wagon as we're far less likely to actually win anything, certainly not the Premier League (although the facts don't actually support this do they?).

For me Rovers come first and England a close second. But that's just me. For others it'll be the other way round. No big deal - as far as I'm concerned the two are totally seperate. They're not likely to play each other are they?

Well I felt as sick after the England match as any time Rovers have lost/got relegated/thrown away a 65 goal lead etc. etc.

I suppose I feel so strongly for England because I know that they are my only hope for a team I support winning something major (although Rovers have won more trophies than England). It compensates for the fact that Rovers will always be a middle of the road team, unless we find ourselves another sugar daddy.

supporting your club is on an individual basis.

Supporting England is a national thing, there are over 56 million in the UK of which the overall majority are English.

tinykit.giftinykit.gif

in any case its great to see the women, kids and the family bursting with pride in their English attire.

Last nite my 11yr daughter had a full England kit on, face painted and wrapped in a huge St George flag, it just fills you with patriotic pride rolleyes.gif

I have pride in being American, therefore I support the US in any sporting event, no matter how often I watch it. I will be glued to the TV during the Olympics this summer, even though I don't follow most of the sports during the other 3 years. Any competition that we have a chance to medal in I will be watching (except maybe men's gymnastics), no matter how much I know about the sport. That's the way I view fans who follow their country only in major tournaments.

They aren't following for love of the sport, they are following for love of the country. Rugby World Cup anyone?

Don't get me wrong here, when Lampard scored I was jumping about like a madman but for me the effect of watching England is less emotional than Rovers.

I think as Rovers play week in, week out we have a more intense relationship with Rovers, rather than an England squad that plays a game every two months and whose players we're cheering against for the rest of the season.

Rovers over England any time for me, Rovers is more exclusive whereas England it's everyone supporting them. Maybe it's just me, but personally I prefer to be part of a small group.

Rovers is like a long term relationship that can drag a bit at times , get on your nerves but is steady and always there . England is like a fresh and spicy bit of stuff that excites a lot more - but never lasts as long ..! smile.gif

Rovers is like a long term relationship that can drag a bit at times , get on your nerves but is steady and always there . England is like a fresh and spicy bit of stuff that excites a lot more - but never lasts as long ..! smile.gif

Exactly, and there are about 30 million of us all on the same side for a couple of weeks before we all go our seperate club ways again. It only happens once every 2 years and it certainly is not " only England ".

Some of the comments here border on the ridiculous. If you are English, football fan or not, you get behind your team because of national pride. Rarely do the English have this chance. It makes people feel good.

Rovers and England are two separate entities. The idiots saying that fans should be more reserved for England need to have a sit down and think about how their brains work. I remember the moderate clamour in the late 80's to have England games moved away from Wembley because Northern based players, John Barnes springs to mind, were getting booed by their own fans, mostly jealous champoinship starved Southerners. This was utterly stupid and I feel that some commentators on this site would do the same. We should unify when it comes to the national team.

Rovers play every week, and the media attention that garners this frenzy does not apply.

Please folks start thinking sensibly.

Not that long ago it was the Rugby World Cup where everyone in England seemed to become Rugby Union fans and experts on the sport. The last few weeks many of the same have forgotten about that sport and moved on to footi.

Nothing wrong with it, but as the original post mentioned where are the same people during the season (except at cup finals).

Whilst we're on the subject, has anyone else heard of ManU fans claiming to be totally uninterested in England and football internationals?

Heard it about one of their fans, and thought it a wind up, then remembered wondering why there didn't seem to be any Manu flags in the stadium for the Croatia v England game.

The evil Imperial Lord Ferg is obviously anti-internationals by other managers taking his boys away from the PLC, but I hadn't heard of their fans taking a similar view.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.