BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Passion For England Than Brfc

I'd say I probably feel the same supporting England as I do supporting Rovers. Personally I don't understand all this club over country or, on the other hand, country over club guff. Why choose between the two? The difference may be that it is over a much longer period supporting the club but that's no excuse.

Rovers AND England for me, to be honest I can't for the life of me think of one sensible reason why I would ever bother to choose between the two.

Rev- you answered your own question by saying those who have no interest in football yet wondering where they are for Rovers. Passionately supporting a club is for football fans whereas supporting your country once every two years is for everyone. That isn't necessarily a bad thing.

As for the comments mentioned about a good England run boosting sales. Well...it certainly did after 1966. Typical bloody Rovers though...they'd just been relegated from the top flight after losing fourteen (14!!!) home games and thus missed out on the post-World Cup boost that many clubs received. That was our worst ever total of home defeats and not even a World Cup win was going to tempt the fans back to Ewood. Makes the home form of last season seem not so bad after all...

Edited by FourLaneBlue

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Calm down it's only England"

What do you mean "it's only England"

It's the country you live you !

Get behind them at all times.

How can you follow football but feel nothing for your country.

Prat.

I am in complete agreement with you Rev, whilst I was getting excited last night I would have still taken England to go out and Rovers to get a point at Highbury.

What?!

Some people are just so odd!

ph34r.gifdry.gifsad.gif

I don't think it's particuarly odd that I care more about Rovers than I do for England.

I spend god knows how much on a season ticket and travel and the rest of it watching Rovers. All I do is watch England from my armchair, so I am not going to pretend to be Englands biggest supporter.

Yes I am English and proud, but it's club over country every time for me. Call me odd, but that's just my opinion.

I can see where you are coming from, but to swap England going out last night for a point at Highbury???

Ok if you would have swapped it for a FA Cup win or winning the league fair enough.

But a point at Highbury blink.gif

Ive got to say that if Rovers had been Robbed of a totally legitimate Goal in the last minute of lets say the FA Cup quarter Final and then Lost on sudden death penalties I would have felt 100 times worse this morning than I do now.

After the game last night I was gutted but for me the feeling soon passed.

However I know in my heart that if it was Rovers I would have been thinking about it for weeks and be sat here at my desk feeling sick to the bone.

I really got behind England in Euro 2004, but there is no doubt that I love Rovers more. This would have been hard to tell if anyone had been watching me last night compared to any Rovers match. The difference for me though came after the match had finished. England lost, I accepted it, and turned my attention to other things, of course it hurt, but I don't really mind all that much. This isn't like a Rovers game, where I am down for a week if they simply lose a League Cup match while fielding their reserves against Brighton.

Ive got to say that if Rovers had been Robbed of a totally legitimate Goal in the last minute of lets say the FA Cup quarter Final and then Lost on sudden death penalties I would have felt 100 times worse this morning than I do now.

However I know in my heart that if it was Rovers I would have been thinking about it for weeks and be sat here at my desk feeling sick to the bone.

That was my point basically, well said

England playing in a major tournament helps unite the country. It gets casual observers involved in football.

It's not a disturbing phenomenon at all. I can't believe some of the balls I read on here sometimes.

And once the tournament's over then a lot of people will have no interest in footy until the next one, that's the way it is. Some people think there's shame in being a "plastic" football fan, as if it's some sort of black mark against your family name. Pathetic.

Absolutely spot on. Word-for-word.

This sums up what I feel about football.

Like everyone else I was glued to the TV last night and I'm gutted that we're out but when it comes to Rovers matches, we're talking a whole other level of emotion and intensity. It feels personal when we win or lose.

The buzz from the Worthy Cup final result for example lasted a year (until we got knocked out of the following season's competition).

There are some matches that Rovers play that take weeks (or months) to get over. E.G Charlton away this season. That result makes me feel sick even now.

If it weren't for Blackburn Rovers I probably wouldn't have watched the game at all last night. Actually I wouldn't be into footy at all!

I dont know how anyone could compare the feeling at Rovers to the feeling of international football. It's a good crack every couple of years, but the victories are nothing compared to beating Man United at Ewood or Arsenal at Highbury. It never could be.

For all of these people that don't care about England, but care passionately about Rovers, let's have a hypothetical question.

Let's say England win Germany 06, how will you react? Personally, I think I'd probably drink myself to death, and generally go bonkers. Will you lot be joining in, or will you be sat at home with a sixpack droning on about how "winning a World Cup is alright, but it doesn't compare to Rovers beating Bolton on a wet Wednesday in November"?

For all of these people that don't care about England, but care passionately about Rovers, let's have a hypothetical question.

Let's say England win Germany 06, how will you react? Personally, I think I'd probably drink myself to death, and generally go bonkers. Will you lot be joining in, or will you be sat at home with a sixpack droning on about how "winning a World Cup is alright, but it doesn't compare to Rovers beating Bolton on a wet Wednesday in November"?

Yes, I would be.

Let me ask you a question - England win the next World Cup, Rovers get relegated the same season. Or, Rovers finish top 4 and England fail to qualify. Which would you prefer?

In my opinion there’s more of a buzz and you can sense the anticipation when England are involved in a major tournament because there is a huge majority who think that we can actually win it or go far.

People unite together when England are on, because it’s our country. We’re all supporting the same team with a huge level of support behind the team.

But another way of putting it is, would you rather see England win the European Championships? Or, would you rather Rovers won the League?

Rovers win the league for me. I’m a fan and love both Rovers and England, however Rovers is my home town team and I would love to see Rovers have more success than England will ever do in my opinion, although it would be nice to see England win something in my life time.

Edited by roversismylife

I am in complete agreement with you Rev, whilst I was getting excited last night I would have still taken England to go out and Rovers to get a point at Highbury.

I'd take this a stage further and can honestly say I have come off Christie Park after watching the reserves get beat and felt more upset than I did last night. To me the last two weeks have felt like nothing more than a bit of light relief after the struggles of Rover's recent season. Why is this? Two reasons come to mind:-

1) People only have a finite amount of enthusiasm for anything. Some "choose" (I'm not sure how much an individual can control this choice) to divide it up equally (eg 50% club 50% country) others, myself included, divert almost all their enthusiasm to a single passion. The up side for persons who employ this last stratagy is that when things are going well they will be on a higher high (!) than those who spread their interests.

Unnfortunately the converse also applies.

2) It seems hypocritical to empathise with a collection of players who, for most of the year, I nearly always wish to fail.

Pointless post then Johnny:)

If it doesn't bother you don't bother posting on the subject?

I'm free to have an opinon on pointless things SAR.

I studied Sociology afterall biggrin.gif

You're a mod too:)

You could always lock it biggrin.gif

When it comes to Rovers we as a MB all suffer the highs and lows but when it comes to England things change wink.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.