BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Thompson?

I don't think that we really need a holding midfielder, per se. We have two box-to-box midfielders in Bazza and Thommo, and I think that they can do a job together. By putting people in roles we're just limiting our strength. We should let them play like they know how, and I think that both of them can provide that tackle to disrupt the opposition's midfielder, and they can both capitalize on it by passing forward and delivering the defense-splitting final pass.

Your point is undermined by a quick consideration of England's central midfield in Euro 2004. Lampard and Gerrard are superb midfielders but neither did as well as they could have done because for their clubs they usually play alongside a holding midfielder - and then they had to play a different type of game.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see Tommo being up to the CM spot in a 4-4-2. Top Midfielders must be excellent passers and must be able to read a game.

Tommo's forte is running with the ball, having a great shot and plenty of enthusiasm.

Defensively and tactically, I don't reckon he's up to it.

Sorry Den, I'm not sure if you are implying that Thompson's passing is not up to the centre midfield role or not. I Haven't seen a lot of Thommo because I've only been watching live games over the last year or two, but last weekend I though his passing, displayed in his assists, was excellent and that in terms of attacks his vision was superb. Obviously this was just one match but if he wasn't before, maybe he is now...

Your point is undermined by a quick consideration of England's central midfield in Euro 2004. Lampard and Gerrard are superb midfielders but neither did as well as they could have done because for their clubs they usually play alongside a holding midfielder - and then they had to play a different type of game.

Your point is undermined by the author being Rover6. Nah, I'm just joking, but seriously I don't agree with your point.

Individually they weren't as effective because they had to alternate the holding role, but collectively they were just as effective. Play Nicky Butt alongside either and individually of course they would offer more going forward, but that's because Nicky Butt would offer nothing. It's just halfing the work load that's all, just take it in turns about who sits and bombs forward.

And I did all that without mentioning Lampard got 3 goals in 4 in games.

Oops.

Edited by LeChuck

I can't see Tommo being up to the CM spot in a 4-4-2. Top Midfielders must be excellent passers and must be able to read a game.

Tommo's forte is running with the ball, having a great shot and plenty of enthusiasm.

Defensively and tactically, I don't reckon he's up to it.

Den - You've pretty much said what Thompson is all about.

He can pass, run with the ball and like you say has plenty of enthusiam.

Defensively? I think he's ok, not the best but not the worst.

Last Sunday there was the incident where Savage hit the post towards the end of the game, who was in the box to clear the ball?

Thompson when fully fit can run all day, Gencler at home in the UEFA Cup ws an example of what he can do but, in my opinion he's the best player to replace Tugay.

Tugay can pass well, but strength on and off the ball, work rate and determination I'd rather have Thompson instead.

Whether Tommo takes over in the Centre of Midfield or on one of the wings I think he clearly staked his case for a place in the Starting XI once fit.. he turned a dreadful day around. Though I have to agree that he is not the best defensively, although alongside Fergy that would not be a big issue if he was to take a CM role, on the other hand his presence, as well as the slow return or Reid, could defo give Emerton a kick up the ass.

When he has come on in the last couple of matches, he has played in the centre and played very well. So, why shouldn't he be able to do it from the start? There would be question marks over his defensive capabilities, but Tugay hardly does that well. I think that a defense midfielder is something that Rovers have been missing for years and if you look at the top teams, they all have them. This is a position that needs to be address, with someone like Hamann or Van Bommel, but for the moment, I'd give Thompson a try.

why do people keep saying he's not physically imposing or good enough at tackling, please remember he would be replacing Tugay at the moment

all we need to do is better the current situation, and Tommo is a big improvement on Tugay

Edited by chris

The only way I see a Thompson/Ferguson central midfield working is for Barry to adopt the withdrawn role in front of the defence, in line with the role he played early last season. It also demands a better workrate from Emerton to support Jay.

I don't think Thomo has the range of passing or positional sense to play there, which is why he has ended up on the right.

Where does this idea come from that Thommo can't pass? Positional again no as this was where he started out playing. Maybe the two of them will get forward to much, but the rest of these comments is based on total nonsense. Physically imposing, well thompson is one of the toughest players we have, and probably, other than Reid possibly, the most physically imposing midfielder on our books.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I don't think he has the range of passing or positional sense to play in front of the back four; playing further up field I think may work. it's not that he can't pass, but you need a certain discipline to play in fron of the back four and for all his undoubted ability further forward i don't think he's suited to the patient build upsometimes needed at the top level.

He may well have started playing centrally, but that means nothing; Henry was a winger, Hendry a striker and so on.

To be honest he's not particularly physical - he stature counts against him and enjoys getting forward and making things happen.

Well, it looks like after Tugay's first class performance today it will be a straight swap of Thompson for Reid who is supended against Tottenham. That is almost certain.

Thompson will ony get a shot in the middle if Tugay underperforms again and is taken off. Still its nice to have these problems wink.gif

Well, it looks like after Tugay's first class performance today it will be a straight swap of Thompson for Reid who is supended against Tottenham. That is almost certain.

Are you sure Reid is suspended? I though he had untill the 6th of Desember to answer to the FA..

Are you sure Reid is suspended? I though he had untill the 6th of Desember to answer to the FA..

Yes, my mistake.

Well, it looks like Thommo will be on the bench again. MGP can forget about getting a game again.

Its nice to have all the midfielders playing so well.

Yes, my mistake.

Well, it looks like Thommo will be on the bench again. MGP can forget about getting a game again.

Its nice to have all the midfielders playing so well.

If we are 3-0 up then I think MGP might get a couple of minutes.

• 5 weeks later...

Made a good impact yesterday. Signs of the player he is was on display- he has real quality. Hopefully his slow introduction back will benefit the club in the long term.

Think he was meant to be on the left but was all over the pitch. Sometimes like the rest of our play it has to be the perfect move and the perfect goal with our build up play.

Edited by John

I think it was his first time back he has not been booked!

He never seems to be able to do the easy ball and chooses a more complicated one that breaks down.

i also agree that as with last season he does not seem to keep to his position.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.