BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Thompson?

Barry Ferguson has way too much to his game to be purely a "holding player". The simple fact is, we dont have to choose. It doesnt always have to be the same player that gets forward and the same that stays back. We need to play a very simple 4-4-2 just like every other team thats ever been successful in this country. Flat midfield 4, thats all we need. No fancy diamonds, no specified holding players, no libero's, no 5 man midfields.

Agree a hundre percent, Thommo and Ferguson can both be "complete midfielders", which would give us variety and good movement in the centre of the pitch. Both of them is capable of tackling and both are hardworking midfielders, and both of them are good attacking players.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't think Thompson would fit into our central midfield with Ferguson. We need somebody with the ability to track back and tackle hard and I think Thompson would just be too attack minded, limiting Fergusons impact on the game and leaving our already inept defense more exposed.

Then we have to remember that Emerton has got off to a flyer this season and it will be extremely difficult to displace him. Emerton can't tackle for **** and will not be able to play centrally and for me it's a straight choice between whether he or Thompson play in the team. Frankly, I don't think we will be seeing much of Thompson this season if Emerton continues as he has.

As it stands I think the best way to play is to keep Ferguson and Djorkaeff in the midfield and maybe consider somebody tenacious like Todd to sit back. If Flitcroft could still do this then I would say play him alongside, but sadly he looks well passed it.

Reading the post above - I agree fully that that is the way to play, but we just do not have a player who can. Two Fergusons with a little more defensive bite would be amazing.

Edited by tcj_jones

Thommo may not be the ideal man to partner Ferguson in midfield, but he will be a damn sight better than anything Flitcroft or Tugay can offer.

Well said.

The central midfield duo of Ferguson and Thompson suggests a midfield ready to battle and create opportunities for others in the team.

Flitty when partnered with Barry hasn’t worked. Flitty’s hasn’t got the legs to cover ground like he used to, I feel Thompson could.

Tugay, his performances lately have been poor. Against Villa he gave many passes away and generally when he’s man-marked he’s out of the game straight away.

Latest is that our very own "mr sicknote" has had to pull out of the reserves match tonight v Newcastle with another injury!!The guy is a joke and should retire from the game for himself and the clubs sake.Blackburn must have spent a large amount on his medicals/treatments over the years and it should stop now. Enough is enough.

Why is that some supporters have double standards for people like Matt Jansen and David Thompson ??

Why is the guy a joke? for not pushing himself harder after a very serious operation. Im pretty sure Tommo will be the one wanting this, but being told not to do so.

Sooner hes back the better, a genuine 100% effort player, whos also a very good player

Would be very suprised if Tommo came back this season and played more than a couple of games before getting injured again. Its a sad story for Rovers but we seem to have lost two great players in Jansen and Thompson.. sad.gif

I'd like to see Douglas and Ferguson given a try sometime in central midfield. Douglas is obviously no Platini or anything but he gets stuck in and at least makes his presence felt. Remember when Flitty was young enough (or after his new contract) to do that? Would hopefully give the defence some cover as well; something which someone as immobile or paceless as Tugay plainly does not do.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

I'd like to see Douglas and Ferguson given a try sometime in central midfield. Douglas is obviously no Platini or anything but he gets stuck in and at least makes his presence felt. Remember when Flitty was young enough (or after his new contract) to do that? Would hopefully give the defence some cover as well; something which someone as immobile or paceless as Tugay plainly does not do.

I want Douglas to be given another chance in the centre of midfield.

With him, partnering Ferguson I feel these two could be a possiblity that you've mentioned FLB.

Douglas played in central midfield last season on several occasions. He isn't the most talented midfielder in the world, but in the position that we are in at the moment I would rather have Douglas in the midfield than Tugay.

But when Thommo's fully fit I'd love to see Thommo and Barry together.

Sitting in the car today I was thinking about our current state and the thought popped into my head, "things will turn around, we are too good to go down" (no one get into that debate, this isn't the point). Then I thought, well who are the players that make us this, Emerton, Ferguson, Stead (?), Friedel, Short (when fit) . The rest are either inconsistent or just bad. I thought back to the days when our team was young and talented with the likes of Dunn, Duff, Jansen, Thompson and Neill being some of the best players in the country in their positions. Now I'm not going to have some big moan because I don't think we are going to go down, and I do think things will turn around and we will get back up there, it just takes time and right now we are rebuilding, but it seems to me that Thompson is very much a symbol for Rovers, I really can't wait to have him back, because he's the one player left from the "glory" years of recent times who's reputation is really still intact, other than being injury prone and unlucky.

Edit: I do know that I just babbled on for a bit there, ignore it if you wish biggrin.gif

Edited by Eddie

Other than his height which I think would be a bit short considering fergurson is also not any taller, D. Thompson will add some much needed tenacity to midfield, if and only if he's fit. Wonder when is he ever going to be fit and put in a run of games. sad.gif

Does anybody have a confirmed date that we can see him back in action either for the reserves or the 1st team?

Thompson plays down return hopes

This is the latest news on Thompson.

I just hope when the Thompson and the medical team think he's 100% fit and ready to go, that he's ready to go.

In the position that we're in at the moment we could really do with Thompson back as soon as possible.

tinykit.gif

Mr "sicknote" can`t even get fit for the reserves,not in the squad for tonights game v Man united.I can not even remember the last time he played for Rovers before the Man united game when the guy lasted 16 minutes or so.

These so called footballers must love these kind of injuries where they pick up massive wages for just going into brockhall and just getting massages from the physio and then going home in the afternoon!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.