BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] An Evening With David Speedie 16/9/08 The Hordens

I wish I had been there.

Thanks for the reports of the dialogue.

What a legend Speedie is, having played only one season for us.

Funny you say that, I asked him how it felt to be considered such a legend at a club you only spent one year at and he said, he'd never thought about it like that and said he was humbled.

Another point that was pointed out to me by my barstaff was that he constantly paid for people's drinks whilst he was near the bar, even if he hadnt had any conversation with the person buying the round ! He just kept putting his money on the bar saying "I'll pay for them".

I wish I'd have recorded on my phone him singing a song on his own with no music to me and Laura when there was just the three of us left in the pub just before 4 o'clock !

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a hearty congratulations is in order to yourself Brownie for having the imagination to arrange this.

Funnily enough I'd forgotten all about this, and on Tuesday night I went to Chelsea-Bordeaux at Stamford Bridge with a Chelsea pal of mine. After the game as we were leaving we walked past the "Speedie Entrance" and my friend commented "There's a legend we can both share". Speedie was slightly before my time as a Rovers fan, but by all accounts he sounds like he was the business.

While I have no chance of being at any of these I would suggest maybe Kevin Gallagher? That man is always flying the Rovers flag and probably has some decent stories to tell.

Kevin Gallacher is a big possibility actually. Am making enquiries

Didnt realise so many of you attended, everyone must known who I was, the one getting stick of Speedo for interfereing with him and having a Latvian Missus !

Glad many of you enjoyed it.

Garner would be a good one to go for !!

Liked the comment about how Speedie tried to "DO" Tugay during the Parkes testimonial because he was taking the @#/? out of his mate Sid Cowans during the first half.

What did he say about Jeff Winter ??? I'm sure he said he wanted to smack him at a book signing.

Hows about Graeme Le Saux? He has a premier league winners medal. He's been voted the best ever Rovers left back by you people. Also I seem to think he has a soft spot for Rovers, fully appreciating his time with us.

Also there's Jason Wilcox, always a Rover until the twilight of his career when we transferred him to Leeds Utd.

For us older ones, Bryan Douglas and Ronnie Clayton would be interesting but I should imagine there would be no partying until 4am.

The dvd sounds a good idea, he was actuallt that good I would consider having him again some time next year.

Simon Garner would be fairly easy to get but he's been done before so I'm trying to think of ones people have never met.

Hendry Gallacher and Newell are possibles. Friedel was keen before the move and another is Tim Flowers.

The dvd sounds a good idea, he was actuallt that good I would consider having him again some time next year.

Simon Garner would be fairly easy to get but he's been done before so I'm trying to think of ones people have never met.

Hendry Gallacher and Newell are possibles. Friedel was keen before the move and another is Tim Flowers.

Super Atko would be a good un as most people know Garns, Hendry, Gally etc - or at least some of the stories. He's probably the player who saw the biggest change in fortune, from the infamous Scouser cup tie to holding his place in a team of big money superstars.

Is he still in the game, think he was coaching at Stalybridge some time back?

What about Andy Kennedy? If only to ask 3 questions - can he dance yet, why did he have crap hair and lastly, did it matter seeing who he was boffing at the time?

Would Mike Newell be a possible? He always struck me as a honest, straightforward guy and could probably have a lot to say. Imagine the questions you could ask him - about the bung culture, his being mates with Shearer (how did it feel for your best mate to be picking the team and being played instead of our record signing?), an insight into riding the wave of promotion etc., his managerial prospects (was he linked in any way instead of Ince), what really happened at Gleneagles with Ruddock & Shearer, and what was the real reason he left at Hartlepool?

• 2 weeks later...

How about John Bailey, Eamonn Rogers, Ken Beamish, Billy Wilson and indeed anyone from the 70's team I first started to watch and yes Garner is in there too. When will there be another night like the Speedo one Brownie. A seriously good evening. Hubby and I were lucky enough to spend the break with Speedo and what a top bloke he is. I would suggest one of these evenings every month. come on Brownie what about it! Almost due for the next one on my reckoning! ;)

How about John Bailey, Eamonn Rogers, Ken Beamish, Billy Wilson and indeed anyone from the 70's team I first started to watch and yes Garner is in there too. When will there be another night like the Speedo one Brownie. A seriously good evening. Hubby and I were lucky enough to spend the break with Speedo and what a top bloke he is. I would suggest one of these evenings every month. come on Brownie what about it! Almost due for the next one on my reckoning! ;)

I'm working on it Lyn, its not easy contacting these buggers though !

QUOTE (Ste B @ Sep 19 2008, 15:05 ) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Garner would be a good one to go for !!

Liked the comment about how Speedie tried to "DO" Tugay during the Parkes testimonial because he was taking the ###### out of his mate Sid Cowans during the first half.

Why? It's not like he's a precocious and cheeky kid is it? I bet they are'ny much different in age!

Archived