BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

• Moderation Lead

Went to La Veranda at Haslingden last night. Food good, but the same complaint each time rears its' head. The lack of staff.

A half full restaurant, and one waitress!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who visits Annan, Dummfries has to go to Del Amitri

Scotch egg of salmon and bantam egg with dill and mustard dressing

Wood pigeon and black pudding roulade with bubble and squeak rosti, beetroot, baked baby onions and venison broth

Green beans and caramelised red cabbage - like toffee!

Raspberries, meringue, clotted cream and raspberry coulis

£27 plus £5 for a super glass of claret from Chateau du Taste

Blows the O&O or Clog out of the water for value. Must book late week and weekends. On a Wednesday night I got the last cover - only 30 covers.

Fantastic I'm cycling up here but I'll be driving back for a weekend just to eat.

Edited by Paul

I had the misfortune to climb the Ben Nevis arrette recently. Hard work. Scotland was dire , particularly fort William, rannoch moor slightly better

Spoilt by bike bellends 3 abreast, I know that's another thread but total bell ends

No good food outside of edinborough in Scotland btw, been to 3 chimneys on sky and glen eagles. Rubbish

That post is laughably stupid. If you want food try these:

Eeusk Oban

Auberge Carnish Isle of Lewis --STUNNING

Creelers Isle of Skye

No.1 Peebles Road in Peebles - cafe

Herges on the Loch Galashiels

Saffron Innerleithen

Sandwich shop Barra harbour.

"Arrette" is spelt Arete and surprisingly walking up mountains is tough. Fort William is a hugely popular tourist destination which is why it is as it is. If you want to discover a country don't go to places which are destinations for mass tourism. It does take a bit of effort though.

Rannoch Moor is wilderness. What no dancing girls?

Edited by Paul

To be honest I was being slightly sarcastic about the moor , we went camping in a few spots and that was ok, not seeing anyone other than a few deer for miles. Very good, a little hunting. I expected fort William to be nothing more than a car park for shearings but I can still express my disappointment can't I?

Sorry about the typo , really sorry about that . I actually think it was my iPad that thought I'd misspelled. I'll revise next time as I'll know it's a test. How did you get the conclusion I was expressing surprise about the climb? I clearly wasn't . About 3 and a half thousand feet of rock scrambling , shear drops, ice wind rain etc, I'd prepared for that. You have to when some of your mates who persuade you to do it are into things like mountains , bikes etc so are full of that sort of self satisfaction when it comes to traipsing around in bad weather.

I'm rather fortunate. I've dined in some of the best and most revered places in the world , I was hoping for more in Scotland, why were the oysters I had at loch fyne not the best loch fyne oysters I've ever had? Disappointing .

My post wasn't a great moment but in hindsight neither was yours.

Edited by chimbondapie

I don't think your post demonstrated much sarcasm though I suppose the comment on having the misfortune to climb Ben Nevis is sarcasm but doesn't read that way.

If you've dined all over the world you'll know Loch Fyne oysters are farmed. In the late 80/90s we used to buy them en route to Oban. Personally I would not expect farmed seafood to be the best.

How often in the British Isles do you think we are able to get non farmed oysters ? Like a lot of other products now oysters can dispel the myth that a farmed product isn't essentially an inferior one. Albeit in the case of the oyster it's a forced decision .

other than some of those that come into Brixham lf are seen as some of the best , I expressed surprise that those at source were not th finest.

The best oyster I had was a class four French oyster at azurmendi near Bilbao , size of an abalone . Had some great little ones at le bernardin too. Had some in New Orleans which were good . Wild though as you can imagine however not the best . They seemed to cook them mostly there .

That post is laughably stupid. If you want food try these:

Eeusk Oban

Auberge Carnish Isle of Lewis --STUNNING

Creelers Isle of Skye

No.1 Peebles Road in Peebles - cafe

Herges on the Loch Galashiels

Saffron Innerleithen

Sandwich shop Barra harbour.

"Arrette" is spelt Arete and surprisingly walking up mountains is tough. Fort William is a hugely popular tourist destination which is why it is as it is. If you want to discover a country don't go to places which are destinations for mass tourism. It does take a bit of effort though.

Rannoch Moor is wilderness. What no dancing girls?

Nice to see the respect thread as worked .. Not

**late edit**

funny how you pull someone for a spelling error ,yet on another thread you spell RALLY as RAIL .

Edited by ABBEY

Best seafood that I have ever eaten by a mile was in a tiny unassuming restaurant in Ullapool. The owner had a fishing boat and his wife ran the restaurant. I keep meaning to go back but it's a bloody long way and the weather forecast always seems to be for rain.

How often in the British Isles do you think we are able to get non farmed oysters ? Like a lot of other products now oysters can dispel the myth that a farmed product isn't essentially an inferior one. Albeit in the case of the oyster it's a forced decision .

other than some of those that come into Brixham lf are seen as some of the best , I expressed surprise that those at source were not th finest.

The best oyster I had was a class four French oyster at azurmendi near Bilbao , size of an abalone . Had some great little ones at le bernardin too. Had some in New Orleans which were good . Wild though as you can imagine however not the best . They seemed to cook them mostly there .

Try the Oyster Bar in the basement of Grand Central Station in NYC.....ace! Also had decent ones New Orleans.

Try the Oyster Bar in the basement of Grand Central Station in NYC.....ace! Also had decent ones New Orleans.

Harbourmasters Oysters stood up well a few weeks back Mike, from Ireland I believe, possibly the best I've had.

Went to the Royal Oak at Riley Green last night only to be refused food. We've been going there on and off for over 35 years. In recent years food ordering cut off time has been 8 for 8.30. We arrived at 7.15 to be told that unless we had booked we couldn't order. We pointed out that they had a sign outside saying food served until 9pm but it cut no ice. The place was pleasantly full but not rammed by any means and 15 mins after we arrived, the whole of the end room was empty except for us and another couple who had also been refused. To make matters worse, I had already ordered and paid for our drinks before they let us know the situation. Very poor do and I won't set foot in that place again.

We ventured on to the Amalfi Lounge in Darwen where they were more than happy to serve us. Great food, great service and great value for money, as usual.

• Moderation Lead

Really poor do that CLB.

Anyhow, Restaurants tend to live and die by what is on Trip Advisor these days, if reminded of that they are often found to be more accommodating!

Really poor do that CLB.

Anyhow, Restaurants tend to live and die by what is on Trip Advisor these days, if reminded of that they are often found to be more accommodating!

Ah yes, the TA blackmailers

:unsure:

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

I've never done it myself like, if I had an issue I'd sort it there and then (or do my best to), before badmouthing on the Internet like a coward first!

• Like 1

I've never done it myself like, if I had an issue I'd sort it there and then (or do my best to), before badmouthing on the Internet like a coward first!

Good to hear it K-Hod,

My kind of customer

:D

• Moderation Lead

Thing is, it's hard graft working in the food service industry, and knowing people that do and have done, I know just how hard they work!

Mistakes happen, as long as when they do, the establishment do everything they can to rectify it, then you can't say fairer than that for me.

Edited by K-Hod

Ah yes, the TA blackmailers

:unsure:

I actually make a point of posting quality service on TA. It works both ways and I have had some lovely follow up comments from hotels and eateries. Mind you some of the TA posters are bonkers, bit like this MB.

Harbourmasters Oysters stood up well a few weeks back Mike, from Ireland I believe, possibly the best I've had.

I am back at the Harbourmaster in Aberaeron in a couple of weeks. Great food and the table is already booked. The village has 1,200 residents and 3 great places to eat......heaven.

Went to the Royal Oak at Riley Green last night only to be refused food. We've been going there on and off for over 35 years. In recent years food ordering cut off time has been 8 for 8.30. We arrived at 7.15 to be told that unless we had booked we couldn't order. We pointed out that they had a sign outside saying food served until 9pm but it cut no ice. The place was pleasantly full but not rammed by any means and 15 mins after we arrived, the whole of the end room was empty except for us and another couple who had also been refused. To make matters worse, I had already ordered and paid for our drinks before they let us know the situation. Very poor do and I won't set foot in that place again.

We ventured on to the Amalfi Lounge in Darwen where they were more than happy to serve us. Great food, great service and great value for money, as usual.

I will be at the Royal Oak on Friday and will relay this to the owner.....he will take it off me. As you say not good enough.

• Like 1

No idea who you spoke to but I would always ask for the owner / Manager in that situation. Often bar staff can be bullied by a chef wanting an early night.

Next up I'd have gone to the Fat Bull / O&O / Butlers / Clog, all within three miles and as good or better than the Royal Oak. Granted at this point that I don't know where you live CLB.

Edited by thenodrog