BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers release 3 pre season fixtures

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Glad they've added York to the list. I've never been on there so it will be good to tick that one off. Just a shame its a Tuesday night as a Saturday out on the train would have been good.

Yeah agree.  I'm sure a couple more will be added but so far the couple I've fancied have both been on Tuesday evenings which is far from ideal.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Barcelona, Lazio, PL Asia Trophy, tours to Australia, USA etc etc

End of the day, the further down the leagues you go, the quality of your pre season opponent will decline accordingly.

I always remember 2010 going over to Huddersfield for a pre-season friendly when Allardyce was manager. We were Premier League at the time and they were League One. 7 years on and there's a fair chance those roles will be reversed this summer. Won't be long before we're inviting teams like Huddersfield to come to Ewood and we're promoting it as a big game.

1 hour ago, AggyBlue said:

Aye, what a coup this is, our premier pre-season friendly

How times have changed

Reminds me of Porridge the movie, where they get a football team of celebrities in to play the prison team.

"which one's the Goodie, then?"

15 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Barcelona, Lazio, PL Asia Trophy, tours to Australia, USA etc etc

End of the day, the further down the leagues you go, the quality of your pre season opponent will decline accordingly.

Barcelona and Lazio were around 20 years ago, no? 

As for those tours abroad, I would say most players/managers don't want to go on them. 

Look at Liverpool off playing post season friendlies in Australia. Ludicrous stuff. 

Give me York anyway :D 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Look at Liverpool off playing post season friendlies in Australia. Ludicrous stuff. 

No doubt they'll be somewhere else before the season. But still whinge on around Christmas time that they all play too many games and really need a winter break. :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

Glad they've added York to the list. I've never been on there so it will be good to tick that one off. Just a shame its a Tuesday night as a Saturday out on the train would have been good.

I love York, I fell off a pool table in a pub in York when Rovers played there, I think we scored 4.

My missus works in York on Monday to Wednesdays so I may have to stay sober and stay with her !!! :lol:

I went to York around 1974 on a single decker red, cream and green bus, the colours following the creation of BwDBC. We got there at a ridiculously early hour because there were no arrival time restrictions in those days. There were a few of the lollipop type buses as well as various coaches. We went up to the station to await the arrival of the Ewood Express. I can see it now coming into the station, doors opening before it had stopped and everyone jumping off onto the platform. An absolutely thunderous chant of Rovers rang out. The good burghers of York didn't know what hit them!

19 hours ago, broadsword said:

Reminds me of Porridge the movie, where they get a football team of celebrities in to play the prison team.

"which one's the Goodie, then?"

Wonder which players will be hiding in the luggage bay of the coach as part of their escape plan

20 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

No they weren't 20 years ago.

I don't care about pre season either way, just a means to get fit. The point still stands that first team friendlies at 6th tier clubs shows our diminished status.

I agree although higher tier sides certainly provide you with a more realistic test. In addition more match like in terms of tempo etc resulting in a greater game of fitness 

Archived