Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bigdoggsteel

New captain

New captain  

164 members have voted

  1. 1. Who should be the new captain?

    • Bennett
      5
    • Lenihan
      88
    • Johnson
      54
    • Graham
      12
    • Travis
      5


Recommended Posts

Just now, rigger said:

Again I have no problem with any appointment of captain. My problem is the fact that Bennett should not be in the starting 11, going off performances. Not some ill conceived loyalty.

That’s not what you posted though was it?

What you posted was this...

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

I am almost tempted to boo when he is announced as captain on Saturday.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

Anyone who has ever watched a Rovers match with me will know that I never sit in silence. But then I would not boo a Rovers name read out over the tannoy. Save that for the opposition.

As I posted earlier, Bennett wouldn’t have been my choice as captain but I can understand why he got the nod.

Incidentally, the ‘club captain’ doesn’t necessarily start every game. Exhibit A being Charlie Mulgrew earlier this year.

Is he not being picked as a match day captain, not just a club captain? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob Crompton, Ronnie Clayton, and Colin Hendry to name just 3 great players but from different eras who captained both Rovers and their Country.

Now we have Elliott Bennett whose main claim to fame is being Mowbray's Pal in the dressing room.

It is beyond sadness how far we have fallen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rigger said:

Is he not being picked as a match day captain, not just a club captain? 

There’s no such thing as a ‘match day captain’

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this shows Mowbray is a stubborn man. He will stick with players out of position or shoehorned in until it gets him the sack. 

I remember not so long ago he was saying Lenihan could be a future captain. Obviously not whilst he needs to have Bennett right back. 

The worst thing is all those stupid decisions Mowbray now seems to be making will just lead to the fans turning  on the players, because as we have seen, Mowbray doesn't take blame himself for his formations or tactics. He has fucked Brereton up. Rothwell on the same route. Bennett definitely and he will probably do the same to Gallagher by playing him on the wing. 

Not happy at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

There’s no such thing as a ‘match day captain’

Isn't that the bloke on the pitch who has been nominated to be the captain for that match

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Bob Crompton, Ronnie Clayton, and Colin Hendry to name just 3 great players but from different eras who captained both Rovers and their Country.

Now we have Elliott Bennett whose main claim to fame is being Mowbray's Pal in the dressing room.

It is beyond sadness how far we have fallen.

At least with Lenihan there is a lad who has been at the club since 15, shows proper leadership on the field. No, not for Tony though. Stubborn man. 

You know, it might just have got him to stay if a bid comes in next summer. But no, apparently fist pumping is an important skill in Mowbrays eyes. 

Really, really poor choice. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think Hendry was ever officially a Rovers captain, although he was occasionally nominated when the regular skipper was absent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

There’s no such thing as a ‘match day captain’

I’m pretty sure Terry Genoe was club captain when Faz led the team out. I think Club captain is often another name for union rep

Edited by renrag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rigger said:

Isn't that the bloke on the pitch who has been nominated to be the captain for that match

Yeah in any given game obviously but when you ‘announce’ someone as the new captain, taking over from the club captain (which is what Mulgrew was) he isn’t saying “this guy gets picked automatically”, he is saying “this guy is the captain”. Hanley was Norwich captain last season but barely featured in their team. I actually agree with you in respect of Bennett’s ability as a footballer but I can never agree with your attitude via a vis booing.

Edited by oldjamfan1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, renrag said:

I don’t think Hendry was ever officially a Rovers captain, although he was occasionally nominated when the regular skipper was absent

We had so many potential Captains then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
1
Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

Yeah in any given game obviously but when you ‘announce’ someone as the new captain, taking over from the club captain (which is what Mulgrew was) he isn’t saying “this guy gets picked automatically”, he is saying “this guy is the captain”. Hanley was Norwich captain last season but barely featured in their team. I actually agree with you in respect of Bennett’s ability as a footballer but I can never agree with your attitude via a vis booing.

Totally agree and I would never boo any player in Rovers colours. I would simply not applaud or cheer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

That’s not what you posted though was it?

What you posted was this...

 

Almost tempted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

We had so many potential Captains then

The best teams have eleven captains on the park. Go through the Rovers premier league champions - even the wingers would have been fine captains. Same with the promotion sides of 1992 and 2001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rigger said:

Almost tempted

Fair enough mate, booing our own players is a pet hate of mine. It’s absolutely okay to dislike players or not rate them, but when they have a blue and white quartered shirt on they are playing for us. Particularly pre-match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vilesinner said:

Lenihan was my choice ahead of Johnson. Think most fans feel pretty much the same. 

I wonder if something is amiss with Lenihan and Mowbray. Talked the other day how he'll have a battle to get back in and was a cert to be captain in my eyes (Tony used to wax lyrical about him, now not so much). One of the only saleable assets we have and the captaincy could have prolonged his Rovers career. As I say, terrible decision and Nyambe will no doubt be banging the door down to leave come January - and who could blame him.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Totally agree and I would never boo any player in Rovers colours. I would simply not applaud or cheer.

 

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

Fair enough mate, booing our own players is a pet hate of mine. It’s absolutely okay to dislike players or not rate them, but when they have a blue and white quartered shirt on they are playing for us. Particularly pre-match. 

How else do you suggest that it is shown to Mowbray that his decision on this matter is not liked by the majority. My dislike is of Mowbrays decision, not of Bennett.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rigger said:

 

How else do you suggest that it is shown to Mowbray that his decision on this matter is not liked by the majority. My dislike is of Mowbrays decision, not of Bennett.  

How is Bennett meant to decipher that though?

I want a motivated player on that park, not someone who thinks “why bother?” (Not that Bennett has ever given less than 100% but you get my drift).

Its a difficult question and I don’t have a ready answer for you to be honest. Can’t see for the life of me how booing helps though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

The best teams have eleven captains on the park. Go through the Rovers premier league champions - even the wingers would have been fine captains. Same with the promotion sides of 1992 and 2001

Indeed. That’s why we are a million miles from promotion. 

Yes we had quality players in 2001, but the side was full of captains or ‘men’ as TM would put it.

Friedel, Bjornebye, Short, Berg, Hignett, Flitcroft, Hughes. Even the young lads like Dunn and Johnson had some balls about them.

Compare it to where we are now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rigger said:

 

How else do you suggest that it is shown to Mowbray that his decision on this matter is not liked by the majority. My dislike is of Mowbrays decision, not of Bennett.  

Mowbray does not care about what any majority may want. He really believes its HIS Team, HIS Club.

I know he has put the squad together and picks the team but with Mowbray, it goes beyond that. Delusional is being kind.

I read about his end at Celtic who had the good sense to see through his facade into his madness.

I get what you say about Bennett but, IMO, he's just a puppy lapdog for his master.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rigger said:

 

How else do you suggest that it is shown to Mowbray that his decision on this matter is not liked by the majority. My dislike is of Mowbrays decision, not of Bennett.  

Send him a letter with your name and address on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Captain is a non-job in football. Make him Club president for all its worth, however it should not in anyway keep him in the side if his performances do not merit it.

Worked out okay for Jason Lowe.

This is just another poor decision to add to the ever-increasing list. Everything we don’t want is what happens. Fan relations are going to really strain if we continue on this poor run.

Bennett is like an on-field version of Mowbray. Enthusiastic, passionate, honest, great in League One but no longer up to the task and just keeps going regardless.

Venkys - Waggott - Mowbray - Bennett

We are leaderless and rudderless so we will have to hope we drift to safety and Venkys keep footing the bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.