BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

57 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think it's clear we are on top of things. The management is monitoring the 3 year cycles and keeping us out of trouble. Not always easy as a fan, but I feel we are safe enough. 

Totally disagree! We have no urgency for a 3 year plan. We talk of long term build and slow and steady progress which is fine in theory - until it all has to be scrapped every 3 years! This means there is no long term build (it's undone every 3rd year) there can't be slow and steady progress because the progress keeps getting reset. So no the club isn't on top of it because their strategy is totally at odds on and off the pitch. 

To be on top of it the aim has to be promotion in 2 seasons of build OR lower costs to an extent that long term progress is able to happen because it doesn't need to be undone/redressed every third year. Neither option is easy and the latter not that palatable but this current approach will never work unless we get very lucky. 

• Like 5

Just now, Blue blood said:

Totally disagree! We have no urgency for a 3 year plan. We talk of long term build and slow and steady progress which is fine in theory - until it all has to be scrapped every 3 years! This means there is no long term build (it's undone every 3rd year) there can't be slow and steady progress because the progress keeps getting reset. So no the club isn't on top of it because their strategy is totally at odds on and off the pitch. 

To be on top of it the aim has to be promotion in 2 seasons of build OR lower costs to an extent that long term progress is able to happen because it doesn't need to be undone/redressed every third year. Neither option is easy and the latter not that palatable but this current approach will never work unless we get very lucky. 

I don't understand what you mean by saying it has to be scrapped every 3 years? Even allowing for what transfer dealings we need in the summer, our squad IS better than 3 years ago, mush better. Better players, more players of value, younger age profile. European scout now in place, which should help with signing good value players. 

Mowbray has said promotion is the aim, so I am sure there is some expectation that needs to happen in the next season or two. 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't understand what you mean by saying it has to be scrapped every 3 years? Even allowing for what transfer dealings we need in the summer, our squad IS better than 3 years ago, mush better. Better players, more players of value, younger age profile. European scout now in place, which should help with signing good value players. 

Mowbray has said promotion is the aim, so I am sure there is some expectation that needs to happen in the next season or two. 

Sorry perhaps didn't explain it that clearly. With the FFP rules impacting 3 year periods it means that every 3 years we have to balance the books and sell our best players - a bit like we did with Bowyer. It appears we have another 3 year FFP deadline coming up requiring player sales to meet the £39 mill losses "only" mark. It seems as though history is repeating itself (the no Jan signings seems to support this, as do the accounting figures). Therefore there is only a 3 year window to build a promotion winning team and go up before FFP necessitates player sales. This is what clearly happened with Bowyer with disastrous consequences. He built a great team and then it was sold off. 

It looks like it is going to happen again which is why I question why wasn't there urgency to get promoted this season before this team - which I agree has been rebuilt and is stronger than what TM inherited - has to be sold off to comply with financial constraints. 

Hope this makes sense?!?!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue blood said:

Sorry perhaps didn't explain it that clearly. With the FFP rules impacting 3 year periods it means that every 3 years we have to balance the books and sell our best players - a bit like we did with Bowyer. It appears we have another 3 year FFP deadline coming up requiring player sales to meet the £39 mill losses "only" mark. It seems as though history is repeating itself (the no Jan signings seems to support this, as do the accounting figures). Therefore there is only a 3 year window to build a promotion winning team and go up before FFP necessitates player sales. This is what clearly happened with Bowyer with disastrous consequences. He built a great team and then it was sold off. 

It looks like it is going to happen again which is why I question why wasn't there urgency to get promoted this season before this team - which I agree has been rebuilt and is stronger than what TM inherited - has to be sold off to comply with financial constraints. 

Hope this makes sense?!?!

Ya, my understanding is that whilst selling say Dack would help us with budget, it's not something we have to do to stay out of FFP if we keep going the way we have been. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, my understanding is that whilst selling say Dack would help us with budget, it's not something we have to do to stay out of FFP if we keep going the way we have been. 

Interesting. I read it somewhat differently. I think our annual losses for the last 2 years have been over the 13 mill a year average needed to comply so we need to redress the balance somewhat (by selling Dack or likewise)? That said I'm no accountant so could be wrong.

That said the EFL are pretty weak and struggle when clubs push back so maybe the whole thing is a facade to not invest (although this is another debate entirely.) However, assuming we have to comply my limited understanding suggests we need some dosh from somewhere to fill in the gaps - much less strengthen the squad. 

11 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Interesting. I read it somewhat differently. I think our annual losses for the last 2 years have been over the 13 mill a year average needed to comply so we need to redress the balance somewhat (by selling Dack or likewise)? That said I'm no accountant so could be wrong.

That said the EFL are pretty weak and struggle when clubs push back so maybe the whole thing is a facade to not invest (although this is another debate entirely.) However, assuming we have to comply my limited understanding suggests we need some dosh from somewhere to fill in the gaps - much less strengthen the squad. 

Maths and accountancy ain't my string suit either, so could be the blind leading the blind here! 

• Like 1

Peterborough Chairman on Maddison and his move

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/marcus-maddison-transfer-birmingham-city-17677007?fbclid=IwAR2wXEleODbv40G7kRaBsFHbTP1av72t-WHY_ki-M1f7iNXruoIzbeIaWLg

All about Money..so pleased we didn't sign him. Not the type of player you want in your squad

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Peterborough Chairman on Maddison and his move

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/marcus-maddison-transfer-birmingham-city-17677007?fbclid=IwAR2wXEleODbv40G7kRaBsFHbTP1av72t-WHY_ki-M1f7iNXruoIzbeIaWLg

All about Money..so pleased we didn't sign him. Not the type of player you want in your squad

Yeah, not my style of player. We don't want any more players who's hearts aren't in it.

45 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, not my style of player. We don't want any more players who's hearts aren't in it.

Shows why clubs from Championship level haven't sign him. Bother about money. His agent should be advising him better

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Every human being is interested in money, lets not pretend that he is a one of a kind money grabber or that he couldnt do better than Gallagher or Samuel on the wing or Rankin Costello as a 10.

No one mention Gallagher or Samuel or Rankin Costello apart from you. 

Why even mention Rankin Costello? He played 4 games. ?

Because you are making out that we are better off without players who are quite clearly an upgrade on what we have.

He never played at this level before so how anyone can he is upgrade is baffling. Yet again you enjoy his stats but why hasn't any Championship clubs look to sign him before now? Look at Peterborough's chairman comments tell you why? Player attitude and wage demands. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Shows why clubs from Championship level haven't sign him. Bother about money. His agent should be advising him better

I remember people posting a few unsavoury stories about Dack when we signed him.

Even that prick Diouf did a job for us. Unless it's a Joey Barton level scumbag I couldnt give a fuck as long as they deliver. His record suggests he will deliver. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I remember people posting a few unsavoury stories about Dack when we signed him.

Even that prick Diouf did a job for us. Unless it's a Joey Barton level scumbag I couldnt give a fuck as long as they deliver. His record suggests he will deliver. 

Here is Peterborough United Chairman thoughts on Maddison saga and Toney wanting to leave but said no but did he will sell whether they go up or not in the summer. 2 PL clubs interested in him plus Brentford from his comments. And alot more Championship clubs. 

https://twitter.com/DMAC102/status/1223952344934645761?s=19

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He never played at this level before so how anyone can he is upgrade is baffling. Yet again you enjoy his stats but why hasn't any Championship clubs look to sign him before now? Look at Peterborough's chairman comments tell you why? Player attitude and wage demands. 

If we had signed him, and anyone raised those concerns, you’d be saying “GET BEHIND HIM FFS!” 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Because you are making out that we are better off without players who are quite clearly an upgrade on what we have.

It's the thing about the chairman mentioning a game at Rotherham and implying that he doesn't relish the physical side of the game that did it for me. We've got more than our fair share of faint hearts already in my opinion.

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

It wouldnt be too difficult to play wide and do a better job than a 5m striker who has had a grand total of zero effective games from a wide position yet has become our first choice winger to be fair.

• Like 3

It wouldnt be too difficult to play wide and do a better job than a 5m striker who has had a grand total of zero effective games from a wide position yet has become our first choice winger to be fair.

Look at Peterbrough chairman about him. Not someone you want to sign tbh. Probably why clubs havent sign him so far. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Look at Peterbrough chairman about him. Not someone you want to sign tbh. Probably why clubs havent sign him so far. 

I was more interested in his continuous and consistent record of goals and assists rather than a big mouthed chairman inferring that the player like the majority of human beings is somewhat motivated by money.

Maddison or Gallagher out wide? Maddison or Rankin Costello as a 10?

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldn't pay too much attention the Peterborough chairman, he seems to like the sound of his own voice and to get himself in the headlines.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I was more interested in his continuous and consistent record of goals and assists rather than a big mouthed chairman inferring that the player like the majority of human beings is somewhat motivated by money.

Maddison or Gallagher out wide? Maddison or Rankin Costello as a 10?

Such a consistent record of goals and assists in league 1 most championship clubs wasnt interested in him. And took him 2 and half years to move one. 

I rather listening to a chairman who knows the player personally and the interested clubs offered him wages wise than ever obsess over stats