Jump to content
GunnerRover7

January transfer window 2020

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wasn't first choice for the position. Gallagher was. 

Would have made sense to wait for Gallagher then, we would have £6 million extra and its not like we would have missed Brereton. Bizzare signing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Maybe if I were involved in elite sport I’d be more cynical like you pal? 😆

What's your problem Paul?  Someone happens to love/support rovers  just happens to be involved in a high standard of junior/youth football, thinks that his team who he supports don't do enough in-depth local scouting, what's your problem with that? Why do you try mocking,  cant fathom you out.  

An example, our 13s are playing this Saturday v Preston Schoolboys.  30 of the best schoolboys in the preston/south ribble area all on one pitch at the same time.   I've got 2 scouts coming.....Bolton and Everton, not me chasing, them asking me where/when.  Why are rovers not there?

You can mock all you want but I know the truth and we are getting beaten locally to the best kids.  

Edited by Sparks Rover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Chaddy you keep posting stuff like it's fact. We're not privy to what actually goes on.

Which is what Chaddy himself said to me yesterday when I pointed out Johnson and Downing would have had big signing on fees! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JoeH said:

Adam Armstrong - Played with TM at Coventry City
Richie Smallwood - Played with TM at Middlesbrough
Sam Gallagher - Played with TM at Blackburn Rovers
Harry Chapman - Played at Middlesbrough
Jordan Jones (potential signing) - Played with TM at Middlesbrough
Jayson Leutwiler - Played with TM at Middlesbrough
Marvin Emnes (signed on loan under TM) - Played with TM at Middlesbrough.
Stuart Downing - Played at Middlesbrough

Christ even Jacob Butterfield came and trialed for two weeks in the summer and he played with TM in that 2013 Middlesbrough squad!

It's so pathetic how over half of our transfer business is TM scrolling through his contact list of former players and going... "yeah", "maybe", "yeah I'll give him a call'.

So my new picks for Jan/Summer:

Britt Assombalonga
Paddy McNair
Rudy Gestede
Djed Spence
Adam Reach (played with TM at Boro in 13/14)
 

So we only signed 6 players that Mowbray. So about 20% of his signings in total. Hardly news breaking

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Dont get why these conversations waited until January to be honest, if we are dependant on shipping players out especially in Mulgrews case one already out on loan it would have surely been a better plan to have these discussions and finalise any potential permanent move in advance of the window. Poor planning.

Mowbray doesnt seem to see transfer business as an urgent matter based on those quotes, downplaying expectations. But he does mention players settling in which is why the Schmidt rumour in particular doesnt tally up.

Maybe Wigan wanted to see what funds they got or whether they can sign. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Linked with Glen Whelan again I read.Had a big fall out with Stendel at Hearts.  

No thanks. Far too old. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Linked with Glen Whelan again I read.Had a big fall out with Stendel at Hearts.  If we managed to offload Evans and Smallwood I would take him on a free, but he shouldn't be a starter, nor would he be. Great pro and good to have around with his experience. Would be relatively cheap at this stage and would allow us to focus cash money on other areas. Maybe with a view to coaching, we have a lot of young midfielders who could learn from him. He certainly has a pretty decent career behind him , in the last 15 years he has played 10 seasons at Premier league level and 5 at Championship level with almost 100 international appearances. 

Ha ha, I sound like his agent. He has gotten a rough time off Ireland fans over the years, myself included, but from reading from ex-managers it's clear now what he brings. He's still starting for Big Mick and probably will again against Slovakia in March. 

Sure he’s been good, but we really don’t need any more old and slow midfielders....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So we only signed 6 players that Mowbray. So about 20% of his signings in total. Hardly news breaking

 

No thanks. Far too old. 

 

if 6 players is 20%, that means Mowbray would have signed 30 players-is that right? Or just speculation 😛 

Same age as Downing, although I will admit I wouldn't be expecting that level of performance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So we only signed 6 players that Mowbray. So about 20% of his signings in total. Hardly news breaking

Find me another Championship manager, who relies so heavily on his former players for his transfer business and I'll be happy to concede. Mogga consistently goes after former Boro, Coventry and West Brom players. He has done it at previous clubs to Rovers, and has continued that trend here. I'm aware its not news breaking, but it's not news purely because we all already knew about it, not because it isn't important to note.

For me, to rely so heavily on former contacts is worrisome, considering the amount supposedly being spent on improving our current scouting system, and widening our scope.

We've gone from signing players all round the country (all be it not very successfully, as our relegation to L1 showed) to now only signing Tony's faves from previous clubs. There's only Ben Brereton he's spent any decent money on that wasn't his in the past, and even that sounds like it wasn't his decision!

Edited by JoeH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Linked with Glen Whelan again I read.Had a big fall out with Stendel at Hearts.  If we managed to offload Evans and Smallwood I would take him on a free, but he shouldn't be a starter, nor would he be. Great pro and good to have around with his experience. Would be relatively cheap at this stage and would allow us to focus cash money on other areas. Maybe with a view to coaching, we have a lot of young midfielders who could learn from him. He certainly has a pretty decent career behind him , in the last 15 years he has played 10 seasons at Premier league level and 5 at Championship level with almost 100 international appearances. 

Ha ha, I sound like his agent. He has gotten a rough time off Ireland fans over the years, myself included, but from reading from ex-managers it's clear now what he brings. He's still starting for Big Mick and probably will again against Slovakia in March. 

Whelan?? goodness me have you seen him for Hearts this season no thank, bring him in as a coach by all means but not in any playing capacity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeH said:

Find me another Championship manager, who relies so heavily on his former players for his transfer business and I'll be happy to concede. Mogga consistently goes after former Boro, Coventry and West Brom players. He has done it at previous clubs to Rovers, and has continued that trend here. I'm aware its not news breaking, but it's not news purely because we all already knew about it, not because it isn't important to note.

For me, to rely so heavily on former contacts is worrisome, considering the amount supposedly being spent on improving our current scouting system, and widening our scope.

We've gone from signing players all round the country (all be it not very successfully, as our relegation to L1 showed) to now only signing Tony's faves from previous clubs. There's on Ben Brereton he's spent any decent money on that wasn't his in the past, and even that sounds like it wasn't his decision!

Warnock for one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, K-Hod said:

Sure he’s been good, but we really don’t need any more old and slow midfielders....

I'd say he could probably do better than what we have seen of Johnson. 

Really we just need a partner for Travis. So ,as it stands, we already have a good few options. None ideal though. I wouldn't say Whelan would be the answer either, I would be thinking more in a coaching capacity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PeteJD13 said:

Warnock for one

Another dinosaur, past his expiry date, who's finishing at the end of the season. He's not somebody we should be happy to the follow suit of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PeteJD13 said:

Whelan?? goodness me have you seen him for Hearts this season no thank, bring him in as a coach by all means but not in any playing capacity

No, I haven't but I read he got MOM in 5 of their 8 home games 

I would agree abut bringing him as a coach with limited, if any game time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Would have made sense to wait for Gallagher then, we would have £6 million extra and its not like we would have missed Brereton. Bizzare signing. 

I agree

9 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Chaddy you keep posting stuff like it's fact. We're not privy to what actually goes on.

Think it's fairly well know that Gallagher was his 1st choice that summer. Anyway that's 18 months ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I'd say he could probably do better than what we have seen of Johnson. 

Really we just need a partner for Travis. So ,as it stands, we already have a good few options. None ideal though. I wouldn't say Whelan would be the answer either, I would be thinking more in a coaching capacity. 

I can’t say I agree tbh. I also think many of our fans have been overly harsh re Johnson so far, but that’s another debate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

I can’t say I agree tbh. I also think many of our fans have been overly harsh re Johnson so far, but that’s another debate.

No, I like Johnson, but he has missed far too many games, for whatever reason. On his day he is great, I just had very high hopes for him as I think we missed someone with his attributes for a long time. Hopefully we see more of it for the last 20 games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I'd say he could probably do better than what we have seen of Johnson. 

Really we just need a partner for Travis. So ,as it stands, we already have a good few options. None ideal though. I wouldn't say Whelan would be the answer either, I would be thinking more in a coaching capacity. 

Evans playing alongside Travis is far from the weakest part of our team to be fair. Evans has shown competence there, whereas we are lacking up front, in net, at left back and then at centre back and out wide. Central midfield is potentially our strongest area!

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree

Think it's fairly well know that Gallagher was his 1st choice that summer. Anyway that's 18 months ago

To be fair, we shouldnt have gone near either player. Both dreadful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Linked with Glen Whelan again I read.Had a big fall out with Stendel at Hearts.  If we managed to offload Evans and Smallwood I would take him on a free, but he shouldn't be a starter, nor would he be. Great pro and good to have around with his experience. Would be relatively cheap at this stage and would allow us to focus cash money on other areas. Maybe with a view to coaching, we have a lot of young midfielders who could learn from him. He certainly has a pretty decent career behind him , in the last 15 years he has played 10 seasons at Premier league level and 5 at Championship level with almost 100 international appearances. 

Ha ha, I sound like his agent. He has gotten a rough time off Ireland fans over the years, myself included, but from reading from ex-managers it's clear now what he brings. He's still starting for Big Mick and probably will again against Slovakia in March. 

See absolutely no point in losing our best defensive midfielder for someone who isn't any better and much older.

Paddy McNair would be a better signing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's more than a touch of irony to it that a club that makes no effort to extend its reach beyond town boundaries, makes no serious efforts to tap into foreign markets for players or income and cuts corners in virtually every aspect of its operation simultaneously has the brass neck to complain about the price of new players, small crowds and all the rest of it, without any acknowledgement that the first part above directly causes the second part.

Aim low, get low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Evans playing alongside Travis is far from the weakest part of our team to be fair. Evans has shown competence there, whereas we are lacking up front, in net, at left back and then at centre back and out wide. Central midfield is potentially our strongest area!

To be fair, we shouldnt have gone near either player. Both dreadful!

NO, I agree. It's just if we offloaded Smallwood I would certainly take Whelan 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

See absolutely no point in losing our best defensive midfielder for someone who isn't any better and much older.

Paddy McNair would be a better signing.

It's not like for like. I'm not saying get rid of Evans, in fact yesterday I said for the fee we would get it wouldn't be worth selling him. If we offloaded Smallwood I would take Whelan 

McNair is like Maddision, someone who was mentioned here before and now fans hold him up well above his ability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

McNair is like Maddision, someone who was mentioned here before and now fans hold him up well above his ability. 

Maddison is top quality, and with Dack out of the picture, for free in the summer, would be my number one target if I had a say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Maddison is top quality, and with Dack out of the picture, for free in the summer, would be my number one target if I had a say.

Why has he played his entire career at League 1 level or lower if he is "top quality"? He is 26 now. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why has he played his entire career at League 1 level or lower if he is "top quality"? He is 26 now. 

He is. Bradley Dack had never played Championship football before promotion with us, and fared just fine. He'd be better than anything we've got to fit in the "Dack" role.... and for free I don't think anybody could complain.

15 goals contributions in 21 games... it's bloody good, and he's not even in the best League One side.

Edited by JoeH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's not like for like. I'm not saying get rid of Evans, in fact yesterday I said for the fee we would get it wouldn't be worth selling him. If we offloaded Smallwood I would take Whelan 

McNair is like Maddision, someone who was mentioned here before and now fans hold him up well above his ability. 

Smallwood doesn't need replacing, he was already replaced and hasn't played, he should have gone in the summer it's just been delayed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.