152 replies to this topic

#1 thenodrog

thenodrog

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34315 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:03 AM

Inspired by the pathetic Halsey I'd like to have personally pulled the trigger on

1. Durkin for being the only person on the pitch, the bench, as well as the 60,000 in the ground and the millions of Sky viewers to see anything wrong with Sherwoods goal at Old Trafford.

2. Whoever sent Wilcox off at Nottingham for dropping the ball onto the ground (presumably instead of wiping it, drying it and handing it gently to a Forest player).

3. The complete nobhead who issued Gazza with a caution for returning the yellow card that he had dropped and presumably applying a touch of humour to the Scottish game. (He should be bellyshot cos it causes intense pain and takes longer to die).

2014/15 Rover Returns :brfc: 

Those whom the Gods seek to destroy they first make mad.....

#2 Simon Says

Simon Says

Uefa Europa League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1887 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(thenodrog @ Oct 16 2005, 12:03 )
Inspired by the pathetic Halsey I'd like to have personally pulled the trigger on

2.  Whoever sent Wilcox off at Nottingham for dropping the ball onto the ground  (presumably instead of wiping it, drying it and handing it gently to a Forest player).

View Post

It was a shocking decision. Seem to think it was a clown who went by the name of Paul Danson.

Small town predicts my fate
Perhaps that's what no one wants to see
I just want to scream...hello...

#3 Anti Euro Smiths Fan

Anti Euro Smiths Fan

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2349 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(thenodrog @ Oct 16 2005, 12:03 )
3.  The complete nobhead who issued Gazza with a caution for returning the yellow card that he had dropped and presumably applying a touch of humour to the Scottish game. 

Probably a Celtic fan who doesn't like the English, Theno. Either that or he's the most arrogant sod in Scotland.

I wonder what would have happened if Gazza had already been on a yellow card. Would this plonker of a ref have sent Gascoigne off for holding up a card ?

user posted image

Five others I'd like to add to your list Gord....

1) Ali Ben Naseur, the Tunisian ref who missed the so-called "hand of God" goal in 1986. This bungling Tunisian amateur should never have been put in charge of such an important match.

user posted image

In his autobiography a few years ago, Maradona said: "Now I feel I am able to say what I couldn't then. At the time I called it 'the hand of God'. B*llocks was it the hand of God, it was the hand of Diego! And it felt like pickpocketing the English."

2) Steve Bennett, the south London ref for the Rovers/Bolton match at Ewood last season - who despite not being far away, failed to notice that 'Spit the Dog' Diouf had clearly dived in the box for a penalty.

3) Urs Meier - the bungling Swiss ref with the dodgy goatee beard who disallowed Sol Campbell's goal against Portugal in Euro 2004.

4) I don't usually stick up for the French, but.... the myopic ref who refused to punish a shocking disgraceful foul in the 1982 World Cup semi-final between France and Germany. France's Patrick Battiston was played clean through, with only the Kraut keeper Harald Schumacher to beat.

Schumacher deliberately launched himself at Battiston, smashing into the Frenchman's face, leaving him unconscious with a broken jaw. While Battiston was stretchered off, to spend months in recovery, the stupid ref awarded a goal-kick!

5) The referee in the early 1980's who failed to notice a shot by Clive Allen which went into the back of the goal after striking the stanchion. The goal wasn't given.

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan, 16 October 2005 - 12:22 PM.

Posted Image

#4 ABBEY

ABBEY

King Venky Hater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23919 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:40 PM

george courtney,asshbyand urianal rennie

I GET SLAGGED FOR BEING NEGATIVE...WHAT DOES THIS MAKE THE ONES WHO ARE HAPPY WE GOT KNOCKED OUT BY SCUNTHORPE OR THE ONES WHO THINK WE SHOULD NOT BE BEATING CARDIFF AT HOME OR THE NON STOP ROBBO BASHERS? AT LEAST MY HATE IS TARGETED AWAY FROM THE TEAM!!!! AND NOW WORST OF ALL SCOTCH ROVER WANTS FORGIVENESS AND USES DINGLESISMS WANTING THE SCUM TO LIVE FOREVER!

#5 USABlue

USABlue

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8713 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE(Anti Euro Smiths Fan @ Oct 16 2005, 05:17 )
Probably a Celtic fan who doesn't like the English, Theno. Either that or he's the most arrogant sod in Scotland.

I wonder what would have happened if Gazza had already been on a yellow card. Would this plonker of a ref have sent Gascoigne off for holding up a card ?

user posted image
Five others I'd like to add to your list Gord....

1) Ali Ben Naseur, the Tunisian ref who missed the so-called "hand of God" goal in 1986. This bungling Tunisian amateur should never have been put in charge of such an important match.

user posted image
In his autobiography a few years ago, Maradona said: "Now I feel I am able to say what I couldn't then. At the time I called it 'the hand of God'. B*llocks was it the hand of God, it was the hand of Diego! And it felt like pickpocketing the English."
2) Steve Bennett, the south London ref for the Rovers/Bolton match at Ewood last season - who despite not being far away, failed to notice that 'Spit the Dog' Diouf had clearly dived in the box for a penalty.

3) Urs Meier - the bungling Swiss ref with the dodgy goatee beard who disallowed Sol Campbell's goal against Portugal in Euro 2004.

4) I don't usually stick up for the French, but.... the myopic ref who refused to punish a shocking disgraceful foul in the 1982 World Cup semi-final between France and Germany. France's Patrick Battiston was played clean through, with only the Kraut keeper Harald Schumacher to beat.

Schumacher deliberately launched himself at Battiston, smashing into the Frenchman's face, leaving him unconscious with a broken jaw. While Battiston was stretchered off, to spend months in recovery, the stupid ref awarded a goal-kick!

5) The referee in the early 1980's who failed to notice a shot by Clive Allen which went into the back of the goal after striking the stanchion. The goal wasn't given.

View Post

Not only did he miss Maradonna cheating he also missed at least one penalty shout for England as Lineker was pushed into the nets. I have still not forgiven England for wearing the colour of shorts they did that day.

Edited by USABlue, 16 October 2005 - 12:43 PM.

So the Gap finally closes, Didn't last long did it. They came, they saw, they folded without a fight.

#6 bellamy11

bellamy11

'''''''''''''

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3632 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 14:17 PM

I must be in a minority here, but every time I see the Hand Of God goal, it's never apparent that he punches the ball into the net. Obviously he does, and slow-motion replays etc prove it, but with the naked eye at realtime speed I still struggle to spot it blatantly. I think the players reactions have to help a referee sometimes. Everybody around the ball immediately appealed for handball. Now that's not usual for a striker winning a header against a goalkeeper. The referee has to call what he sees, but watching the instinctive reaction of all those invovled must give him clues.

Chalk up Ashby at Ewood Park, 1994 vs Manchester United. Berg wins the ball from Sharp, and amazingly is given a penalty against him and sent off. Crazy.

Edited by bellamy11, 16 October 2005 - 14:18 PM.

It rockets through the universe - it fuels the lies, it feeds the curse. We too could be
Glorious

#7 cletus

cletus

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4673 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 14:41 PM

what about the long range Spuds goal at the Budweiser Dome last year? a shocker! ohmy.gif
Resistance or collaborator? The choice is yours....

#8 Windy Miller

Windy Miller

Championship

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 14:58 PM

Gearge Courtney - Eddie McGoldrick dived you thick geordie @#/?.

#9 Korean John

Korean John

Premier League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 15:10 PM

A little known fact I think, but Urs Meier refereed at Ewood Park in 1995.

He officiated for the Rovers-Legia Warsaw game in the Champions League - the game when Shearer missed a last minute one-on-one that would have taken us to the quarter-finals.

Edited by Korean John, 16 October 2005 - 15:10 PM.

#10 Seggie

Seggie

Uefa Europa League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1424 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 18:31 PM

QUOTE(cletus @ Oct 16 2005, 14:41 )
what about the long range Spuds goal at the Budweiser Dome last year? a shocker!  ohmy.gif

View Post

I think that was Clattenburg who is perhaps one of the best refs in the league at the moment
Steve Kean get out now

"Scott Dann to reception Please"

#11 Seggie

Seggie

Uefa Europa League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1424 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 18:32 PM

Also point of interest isn't Halsey the Ref that trains with Bolton?
Steve Kean get out now

"Scott Dann to reception Please"

#12 AlanK

AlanK

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3200 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 18:35 PM

Rennie....the guy has his own agent for gods sake.
Never forgave Ashby for 94 against Utd. However, the chap dropped dead last year unexpectedly. Seems silly to hold a grudge when you put things in to perspective but that along with Durkin at OT cost us points against our then biggest title challengers.
Life moves pretty fast.
Somtimes you gotta stop and take a look around.

#13 bellamy11

bellamy11

'''''''''''''

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3632 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 18:53 PM

QUOTE(Seggie @ Oct 16 2005, 19:31 )
I think that was Clattenburg who is perhaps one of the best refs in the league at the moment

View Post

I'd agree with that. I've only ever seen him have a few bad games. It'll come though - something will go badly against us and we'll hate him forever. In regards to the Mendes "goal", I don't think that was a refereeing error. He couldn't see it any better than the linesman and certainly couldn't give it without the signal from his assistaint.
It rockets through the universe - it fuels the lies, it feeds the curse. We too could be
Glorious

#14 McClarky

McClarky

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2031 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 19:35 PM

QUOTE(Anti Euro Smiths Fan @ Oct 16 2005, 12:17 )

View Post

This was bettered only by a Scottish ref called Les Mottram a few years ago when he was reffing Partick v Dundee United. A shot went into the goal, hit the stansion and bounced out. As the fans celebrated a defender caught the ball and threw it back to the keeper who booted it back to the centre. What did our Les do? He played on of course. Surely the best ever to miss a gaol and a clear penalty in 1 go.

#15 MCMC1875

MCMC1875

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2530 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 19:37 PM

Got back in one piece then McC? laugh.gif

tinykit.gif cool.gif

#16 McClarky

McClarky

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2031 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 20:08 PM

QUOTE(MCMC1875 @ Oct 16 2005, 19:37 )
Got back in one piece then McC?  laugh.gif

tinykit.gif  cool.gif

View Post

Yes thanks but feeling very rough. I've got The Fall and John Cooper Calrke tomorrow night so hope I feel better by then.

#17 MCMC1875

MCMC1875

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2530 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 20:10 PM

QUOTE(McClarky @ Oct 16 2005, 20:08 )
Yes thanks but feeling very rough. I've got The Fall and John Cooper Calrke tomorrow night so hope I feel better by then.

View Post

Monsters from outer space spring to mind.........nice biggrin.gif .

Edited by MCMC1875, 16 October 2005 - 20:11 PM.

#18 Blueboy Downunder

Blueboy Downunder

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4437 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:02 AM

i can't actually tell wether or not that zurab touched the ball...even at full speed and on repalys too. what makes it hard to understand for me was that the ball and player was running away from goal and all zurab had to do was shepherd the guy towards the byeline. however, in saying that if it was a free kick then it certainly was a yellow card at the very most...the ref without a doubt in my mind spoiled the game from that moment on. he was not the last defender and we had cover in the penalty area....so i think the ref has dropped a bollock on this one by spoiling the game.
ROVERS FOREVER

"Look up, get up....and don't ever give up" - Michael irvin Sr, august 2nd 2007

#19 roversmum

roversmum

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6317 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:17 AM

Interesting comparisons here under "England" and "Premiership"

Edited by roversmum, 17 October 2005 - 10:19 AM.

MUM

For ever and ever ...

Arabian Proverb: Wisdom consists of ten parts: nine parts silence, and one part a few words.

#20 pleasure

pleasure

Uefa Europa League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1718 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:33 AM

much as i hate w**ky wanderers, rob styles decision is astonishing! once again, 1 rule for the big clubs and different 1 for the smaller.

how many dogs are kicked on a saturday night because of decisions made by these boneheads!

(dogs... boneheads, suprised myself there).

HOWARD SAYS :
"i've finally got the 'palace penalty miss' out of my system. smile.... and the whole world smiles with you!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Important Legal Information

All content is copyright of its respective posters and may not be representative of the views of BRFCS Ltd, its staff, volunteers, members, sponsors or advertisers. Content on the public forums of this site is not pre-moderated. If you feel that any content is defamatory or constitutes harassment, or that it contravenes the site posting guidelines, or that it may result in the site or its owners, volunteers, users or members facing legal action, you should alert BRFCS immediately either by using the REPORT function available on every post or by sending an email to admin@brfcs.com with details of the content in question.

Note that this site uses cookies. As the site does not function without cookies, any use of the site implies consent for us to use them. Under new European law, BRFCS is required to disclose how these cookies are used. Please see our privacy policy for more information.

BRFCS Ltd. Registered in England and Wales under company registration number 07315781.