BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Bad Boys

"One of Graeme Souness's biggest mistakes - now there's a list - was to lose his top four scorers - Duff, Dunn, Yorke and Cole - after Rovers finished sixth in 2002-03"

Why yes, that's exactly how it happened.

Muppet.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The poor disciplinary record last season for me was down to one poor match fitness at the start of the Souness season, then the added desperation of putting everything in to our game to gain lost ground when we sank to the bottom of the league.

This time round the preperation is far far better, people have been added to give us that cutting edge (Bellamy,Kuqi) the in discipline wont be there this time unless officials take note of the Boro pillock Jeff Winter.

Bring em on knock em down .....woops !

"Give us £100 odd million to spend on "top" players and we'll have a chance to play the sort of attractive football that Chelsea and Arsenal play. That ain't gonna happen, so unfortunately they’d better get used to our "style". We'll not be alone".

chelsea have spent close on £500 million on transfers and wages in the last 32 months yet they still play defensive unattractive football, they resulted to long ball tactics in the champs league and were lucky to beat bayern with there 3 deflected shots

I would rather watch us battering the hell out of Arjen Robben and staying in the Premiership, then us being the tippy-tappy football and getting relegated.

336275[/snapback]

As would everyone, but the media simply doesn't get that. I've read in more than one place this summer grumbling about how Crystal Palace and Norwich and their flowing football will be missed in the Premiership next year. That's all well and good, but if you asked any one of their supporters I'm sure they'd trade places with the savage horde of the Blackburn Bruisers in a heartbeat.

As would everyone, but the media simply doesn't get that.  I've read in more than one place this summer grumbling about how Crystal Palace and Norwich and their flowing football will be missed in the Premiership next year.  That's all well and good, but if you asked any one of their supporters I'm sure they'd trade places with the savage horde of the Blackburn Bruisers in a heartbeat.

336454[/snapback]

Exactly. For all Norwich's lovely attractive football (which wasn't very apparent in the two matches against us), it didn't do them much good at all when they came to Ewood and took a hammering.

I thought in the game away at Spurs we finished the better team and there were one or two moves of complete free-flowing one-touch passing from defence to attack. As the team gets to know each other better and Sparky has more time to gel everybody and instil his ideas, I think the quality of our football will go up dramatically. Still won't get credit for it though.

I for one, much prefer 'Blackburn's Angry Mob'....

Let the 'sell out' media call us the 'new' Wimbledon... i have faith that the gaffer will utilize this to steel the lads. A healthy us against them attitude will be instrumental for a nice run & FA cups akin to the Crazy Gang

Roll on Rovers.

Whilst I agree that Sparky has done a great job so far in turning the Rovers into a very hard to beat side, and saving us from certain relegation, the fact remains that the media and the armchair football fans now see Rovers as a dirty stop at nothing team. This is so obviously untrue to all of us that really know the Rovers, but sadly we are well in the minority thanks to the bias of the media and the gullibillity of the football supporting public.

The thing that really hurts to me is the fact that in 59 years as a Rovers supporter I have never experienced this kind of hate campaign before and Rovers reputation as a nice friendly little club has been totally destroyed.

There should be something that Rovers can do to seek satisfaction for this terrible situation but with the media and the likes of Morinho and Wenger pumping out the poison what chance do we stand?

I just make sure everything is kept in context - of course the addition of Bellamy will only fuel those lazy journalists who are labelling us at the moment.

However, I look back to Henry Winter's article a few months back and can only agree. Being one of the most respected journo's about it was good to read. Few other respected ones (journos) as well, chap from the times, have given ourselves and Hughes credit.

Winter's comments below:

Having played under Sir Alex Ferguson, Hughes's man-management skills are inevitably sharp. Evidence of his galvanising traits can be found all over Ewood. Assisted by a good back-room staff, Hughes has turned Andy Todd into an excellent Premiership stopper. Steven Reid imposes himself more consistently. Morten Gamst Pedersen blossoms.

Robbie Savage has been recruited to ensure no one relaxes, friend or foe. Aaron Mokoena and Ryan Nelsen have brought grit and leadership. The late, much-missed Jack Walker would have been thrilled at Blackburn being associated with steel again.

The presence of Mokoena and Savage has seen Rovers labelled "physical". Last season, Mourinho himself complained about Hughes's tactics, yet the Welshman's priority has always been to make Blackburn devilishly difficult to beat. His players work incredibly hard and embarrassed some of Liverpool's stellar names on two occasions last season.

Blackburn are not dirty, just dogged

Whilst I agree that Sparky has done a great job so far in turning the Rovers into a very hard to beat side, and saving us from certain relegation, the fact remains that the media and the armchair football fans now see Rovers as a dirty stop at nothing team. This is so obviously untrue to all of us that really know the Rovers, but sadly we are well in the minority thanks to the bias of the media and the gullibillity of the football supporting public.

The thing that really hurts to me is the fact that in 59 years as a Rovers supporter I have never experienced this kind of hate campaign before and Rovers reputation as  a nice friendly little club has been totally destroyed.

There should be something that Rovers can do to seek satisfaction for this terrible situation but with the media and the likes of Morinho and Wenger pumping out the poison what chance do we stand?

336582[/snapback]

Have some faith - the bigger they come , the harder they fall.

Every dog has its day!

Have some faith - the bigger they come , the harder they fall.

Every dog has its day!

336745[/snapback]

I will never lose faith in the Rovers come what may. The thing I have lost faith in is the general state of the football world and the stop at nothing attitudes of clubs, players, and supporters; plus the sickening sycophantic media.

Edited by Fife Rover

Winter's comments below:

Having played under Sir Alex Ferguson, Hughes's man-management skills are inevitably sharp. Evidence of his galvanising traits can be found all over Ewood. Assisted by a good back-room staff, Hughes has turned Andy Todd into an excellent Premiership stopper. Steven Reid imposes himself more consistently. Morten Gamst Pedersen blossoms.

Robbie Savage has been recruited to ensure no one relaxes, friend or foe. Aaron Mokoena and Ryan Nelsen have brought grit and leadership. The late, much-missed Jack Walker would have been thrilled at Blackburn being associated with steel again.

The presence of Mokoena and Savage has seen Rovers labelled "physical". Last season, Mourinho himself complained about Hughes's tactics, yet the Welshman's priority has always been to make Blackburn devilishly difficult to beat. His players work incredibly hard and embarrassed some of Liverpool's stellar names on two occasions last season.

Blackburn are not dirty, just dogged

Now that's the kind of remarks about Rovers I like. Although I reckon you'll never see that kind of reporting in any of the Red Top comics or by most of the TV pundits either. If we play well, without being "dirty" this coming season, and if Wenger, Benitez, RFW & Mourinho don't cry about us, I wonder if we'll shake off that tag of being dirty.

Read f365 and these comments really wind me up,even after thirty plus years watching the Rovers,and everything that has happened in that time.I find myself taking it personally,as though a member of my family has been attacked in print.Maybe it is time for me to grow up but if the Rovers are in your blood I don't think there 's much chance of that. The team need to be shown these comments,although then the press may see a physical side. ps will Mrs American be continuing her contribution to the winning of matches or do we have another volunteer.Please be careful I feel we will win a few more this season.Not long to go now.

http://www.football365.com/opinion/f365_op...ry_158493.shtml

sent e-mail to them: -

...In reply to Mr Cornwall's derisory comments I would like to say that Mark Hughes did an excellent job last season. He took over a side that looked destined for the drop and turned it round. Granted it wasn't pretty at times, but the aim was to avoid relegation. I expect this season to see more positive performances against the average and below average sides and yes, I think Bellamy is a great signing, get over it Everton. But if we have to dig in against the top sides, get over-physical, and play one up front, so be it.

If we don't play that way and get relegated playing 'nice' football I'm sure Mr Cornwall wouldn't give us any credit. Look at some of the stats from last season, two draws against Man U, two draws against Liverpool, a win and a draw against Everton. Small-town teams like Blackburn shouldn`t be allowed to do that. If nobody likes us 'we don`t care'.

Here's a more ballanced review on the coming season.

Dale Johnson - SoccernetWhen Graeme Souness was 'poached' by Newcastle in September few Rovers fans shed any tears over his departure. Many had been fearing a relegation dogfight, which they had only just avoided the previous season. After several high-profile fall-outs with star players it was thought a new broom would make a difference - so Newcastle did them a favour. New boss Mark Hughes found it tough going at first, but the January additions of Ryan Nelsen, Robbie Savage and Aaron Mokoena and the blossoming form of Morten Gamst Pedersen in midfield turned the season around. It may not have been pretty, but Blackburn changed from a side which leaked far too many goals to an obdurate outfit which was hard to break down.

Soccernet Season Preview

I too have sent a reply in. I dont know why, these muppets can write what they like as I have become immune to their misinformed drivel. Anyway, its always good to let them know that some of us exist...

The Blackburn Rovers pre season preview certainly makes for amusing reading. It's always refreshing to see an original take on a club and the journalist in question certainly seems to have excercised his talents for both research and imaginitive writing.

The problem here is that Mr Cornwall has probably rarely set foot inside Ewood Park, instead preferring to gleam his opinions from other London based publications, intent on gloryifying the acheivements of "successful" clubs such as Arsenal, Chelsea and inexplicably those of the likes of Tottenham (highest finish in the Premiership of 7th I believe, notably losers of the Worthington Cup in 2001, not sure who beat them...) and West Ham, perennial yo-yo team.

It appears that these "in" clubs are allowed to trade in the media on their recent acheivements such as mid table finishes and mediocre football, (akin to giving the child who finishes last in sports day a medal) whilst no one forgets those "Glory Days" despite most of these predating living memory for the majority.

Last season was not a memorable one for the Rovers faithful, reflected by falling attendances (although the club still has one of the highest match attendance to local population ratios in the football league) and a number of fans who, despite the ambitious signing of the much coveted, and easily criticised Craig Bellamy, have reconsidered their season ticket renewal options. Many national journalists have lamented the fact that unattractive Rovers remain in the Promised Land, whilst the flowing, attacking football of the likes of Norwich have been cast in to the wilderness of the Coca Cola Championship. Flowing, attacking football which consigned the Canaries to a 3-0 defeat at Ewood Park en route to the fizzy pop league, with resounding cries of "3-0 to the bully boys!" resonating around a jubilant Ewood Park, a dig at NIgel Worthingtons misinformed pre match comments that Rovers were there to kick his Galacticos off the park.

Nor was 32 league goals deemed an acceptable tally by players and fans alike, as Rovers goal shy strike force managed to accumulate the lowest Premiership goal haul to date, I am informed. It was however an obvious indication of the system Hughes employed in his first season to ensure that Blackburn Rovers made it into Mr Cornwalls Premiership Preview and not the review of some less talented hack, consigned to the Coca Cola preview task.

Now lets look at the positives, a seemingly difficult task for some journalsits I know, but we shall try nonetheless.

After ensuring Rovers defensive record was second to almost none since his arrival, Hughes has pulled off one of the early transfer coups of the summer by attracting the exciting and pacey Craig Bellamy to Lancashire. Another shining light, as the writer, with his vast depth of knowledge of all things Ewood will know, is the undeniable talent of young Norwegain wide man Morten Gamst Pedersen who's ability to finish from any angle with power pace and your choice of boot will feature prominently in goal of the month competitions, OPTA league tables, and terrace chants this coming season.

The writer correctly states that during the final days of Graeme Souness tenure the Rovers had become "crap" (watch Newcastle go this season by the way). He fails to recognize that previously he had guided the club to a domestic trophy and a sixth placed finish. If you get the time to look into the background research (do you guys ever?!) then look at Rovers records in the Premiership over the last decade or so. Note the 4th, 2nd and ultimately 1st placed finishes acheived in the mid 90's. Look at the goals scored column, and the number of European qualifications, (remembering that we too, spent 2 years in the wilderness of the lower leagues inbetween).

The people of your industry will always criticise the acheivements of us small town, cobbled street, whippet breeders you know nothing about, because it is easier than running down one of your "bigger" clubs, and the fans of whom buy your publications in greater numbers. I would challenge you to number on two hands the clubs in this country who have enjoyed more success in the last couple of decades. (last couple of decades does not include the 1950's and 1960's by the way, sorry Spurs, West Ham, Newcastle etc...).

However, football is all about opinions, yours and mine, and Philip Cornwall clearly has a flair for jounalistic writing, a career I myself would have loved to pursue. I do feel strongly though that you journalists piece on my club, badly informed, poorly researched and overly negative will look more out of place than mine come May 2006.

My Rovers prediction? Top half finish, at least 32 goals, hopefully less than 99 cards (but no promises!) and perhaps a begrudging nod from those in the industry who should know better...but don't.

Kind regards,

Found this Premier League preview on Playlouder.com (a music site):

Blackburn

13th

The thing about football, is you're meant to like your team and hate all others. And I hate Blackburn almost as much as I hate the Villa. What's the point of them, with their ridiculous rugby jerseys that look like Andy Warhol has been f**king about with a Battenburg cake? Nobody likes Gary Flitcroft, nobody likes Robbie Savage, nobody likes Craig Bellamy - Blackburn is a graveyard for players we can't stick. It can only be a matter of time before Lee Bowyer ends up there.

Separated at Birth: Robbie Savage and Donnie Tourette from Towers of London

Rugby jerseys?

laugh.gif

Edited by Gareth

• Guest featured and unfeatured this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.