BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poll - Falling Attendances.

Tris

What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?

• Overprice tickets
    • Poor standard of entertainment
    • Lack of atmosphere these days
    • Petty stewards
    • No terracing
    • Unable to identify with players these days
    • Too much football on TV

This poll is closed to new votes

until teams like rovers change their style or the FA imposes points bonuses for goals scored, football will be a log waiting to be flushed!

347810[/snapback]

Clearly the gap between the top four and the rest of the prem would widen even further if this were the case. But some kind of system where teams get rewarded for the more goals that they score could be an idea in an attempt to boost entertainment-particularly in the prem. West Ham have came up and had a real go at teams so far this season, if the rest of the prem aside from when playing the top four took this approach then it'd make for much better entertainment.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand the frustration, for the third season now. To the ones that don't Bye Bye, mind the door --------

347989[/snapback]

That's unfair den. This my 25th consecutive year with an ST and I have NEVER decided to miss a home match before. Other than a misguided sense of loyalty, I can think of no reason to go. Why misguided, well lets face facts while the club may care if I'm there or not it doesn't make one jot of difference to the team. Sunday was just another link in a long chain of missed opportunities - big game comes along and Rovers blow it. When was the last time we actually PERFORMED at Ewood when it mattered? Right now the last one I can recall was Utd in the relegation season.

Make no mistake Sunday was a BIG game - Newcastle United, Souness, Shearer, Owen, Bellamy, Zurab, Bentley - and we blew it again!

My son has told me he wishes he hadn't bought an ST because "I could have used the money for so many other things". He's NINETEEN years old and he's had enough. He's 19 and isn't going to Huddersfield so he can work an extra shift at the pub - to help pay back the loan for a SEASON TICKET laugh.gif Ironic or what, missing a home game to earn money to pay for the ST!!!! This club is in so much trouble .......................

If there is the rumoured 500 in the ground and 3-4000 from Huddersfield it might just drive the point home.

Edited by Paul

What really bugs me is when fellow supporters start judging others and suggesting they aren't as big a fan if they don't go to the games.  The quicker people get away from this ridiculous idea that supporters should attend Ewood out of some sense of loyalty the better.

Football is an entertainment business and is competing with a lot of other entertainment businesses.  At the moment football at Ewood isn't very entertaining.  Therefore, anyone has the right to take their hard-earned money elsewhere. 

As for John Williams, he's paid an exceptional amount of money to "keep the club afloat".  He's doing his job - and it could be argued that he's not doing it that well at the moment.

What we should be doing is thinking of ways that we can attract fans to Ewood, not telling them "bye bye, mind the door____" if they decide not to go to a game.

347992[/snapback]

When the Board were dipping into their pockets to pay the lecky bill, I did actually feel that one had some kind of duty to show up - we were all doing our bit to keep the club afloat. Conversely, these days not only does Williams not pay the bills, we need 600 on the gate all season just to pay for him!

But it's not the supporters who decreed that the game is entertainment, it was the clubs that did that with the sell-out to Sky and the prune-juice mismanagement of the bounty that flowed in, so they cannot complain if supporters judge it as the entertainment it's positioned as and decide to watch in the pub or just stay at home.

The live product offers few if any benefits over the packaged product these days. It used to be that, as well as contributing to the milk bill, there was the atmosphere - even with 6,000 in the ground - and the chance of a "Did you see that..." factor. Not any more. The atmosphere is better in the pub. I came over last season for the Arsenal game and hired a box for the extended Exiled family ; I thought the volume control on the outside noise was broken it was that quiet. Against Arsenal - in the Blackburn End! Everyone over here thinks I was just stupid to pay fifteen hundred for one game, and they were right.

Not least because you can see the best bits of every game we play even if you never set foot in the ground. I've seen four full games so far this season plus Saturday's goals, The Man U game is on live on next Saturday and it cost me $3 a month. I can do that for the rest of my life and it'll cost me less than the Arsenal game did. I'm 3,500 miles away and I see more games now than I did when I lived in Tockholes.

And it's getting worse. The club used to change it's shirt every two years, now that has been changed to every year. Is that for our benefit?? Do they think we're stupid??? Clearly they do. Everything is being outsourced to companies intent on screwing us for yet more money, and if you are not happy with the service , Lee just says, "Ah, that's Greedicorp who run that; nothing to do with us, Guv." The shop is worse than when it was somone's front room on Nuttall street.

And we are supposed to show some kind of masochistic loyalty to this kind of set up. What a load of @#/?.

The sooner the premiership bubble bursts the better !!! Bring on a league with competition where any team could win. A few ideas for improvement - remove threat of relegation - create and enforce salary cap overpaid prima donnas - create regional leagues. The problem with our league is that too many teams are there to finish fourth from bottom and get the sky tv money. The sport is not entertaining anymore read robbo column on the bbc website strike don't normally agree with the bloke but it is true. Football this season especially is so to dull 4 - 5 - 1 will not bring the crowds back to Ewood no goals in four games lets face it the 2 against fulham although very special would 99 times out of 100 sail into the fans (the 2 or 3 of them!!) behind the goal. So we only have Todds miss hit shot as the other goal. Has there been a general downturn in gates ?

I know my comments are off the wall and we will get the usual response of how it will never work maybe so but something radical must be done to save our game. Otherwise the greedy clubs and players will eventually ruin the sport for the next generation. I would much rather see rovers challenging for the regional north championship without Man utd Liverpool etc then us bore our way to fourth from bottom of a poor premiership. Wait until Charlton come to Ewood always seems to attract the least fans sub 15,000 at a guess.

Paul, Scotty - I think I'm in danger of being misunderstood here. sad.gif

Anyone missing a game or two for whatever reason, I don't have any problem with. I do get the vibes though, that some of the posters on here definately are thinking of jacking it all in.

That hurts the club and in turn hurts me.

Anyone missing a game or two for whatever reason, I don't have any problem with. I do get the vibes though, that some of the posters on here definately are thinking of jacking it all in.

348007[/snapback]

I think it hurts alot of us Den but how long do you give it.?

Fans are being ripped off from every direction for what ...?

Our answer for that is (or it used to be) ah but you never know what's going to happen which is what Football is (was) all about - now its all what I would term manufacturey, plasticy false and way too expensive - its not a sport anymore.

Your fears are well confirmed going off what I heard coming off (early as with many others) yesterday - there where some pretty p##### off people and there cries of not coming back (for a long time) where very genuine and I feel they have evry justification for feeling that way.

348007[/snapback]

I cant argue with your sentiments, but I cant any longer argue with those that are ready to jack it in. I just havent got a valid reason to convince them why they shouldnt.

Supporters of football in general, not just Rovers are thinking very hard about where their financial priorities lie. Fans want value for money and at the moment there isnt any. For £5 more than a ticket in the BBE my lad bought a return flight ticket to Berlin. And when he gets there he will watch Herta for £7. Plus the match ticket price includes for public transport to and from the game within Berlin.

We ALL wanted a piece of the Rovers pie when we were successful.Its times like these that the club really needs its 'supporters' to come to the fore.

I respect others view's and opinions and yes, its bl00dy well frustrating at the moment but to an outsider reading some of the comments on here,he/she would be even further convinced about our fans reputation as a fickle bunch.

What the supporters of Burnley,P.N.E or poor Blackpool would give to have been in our shoes these last 13 years god only knows.

STICK WITH IT LADS 'N' LASSES.

348007[/snapback]

I feel sorry for you - you been such a loyal fan and not understanding that when you earn £13,000 a year (approx minimum wage) that going to Ewood just so you can come on here an preach what a true fan you are is not exactly top of your priorities.

So if someone is faced with a choice of feeding thier kids or comming down to Ewood Park it makes them less of a fan than you? Get a grip... where do you park your range rover?

Edited by OscarRaven

Foorball will have to deal with this very very soon, but will the clubs care? If Sky manage to sell the English game elsewhere they will keep pumping money into clubs who in turn will become more dependent on that money rather than concentrating on gates. This dependence is evident with BFRC and their scant gates. The club will be happy to finish 17th every season to guarantee that money. It will be great for me as I will get to see us play on a regular basis. When we went down in 1999 I had two lean years watching nothing. I do wonder too though; why go? You can see extended hightlights on Sky at night with loads of good angles, unlike at the game where you see it once. I love going to live games but understand that there is no need to go any more as you will not miss out.

I think most people are in agreement that prices for games across the board are too high and clubs would rather cater to Roy Keane's prawn sandwidch brigade than the traditional fan. Fan power should ultimately decide the outcome. Football is an entertainment business and if its true customers are fans walking through the gates they need to vote with their feet and keep away. Many may feel that they are doing an injustice to their club by not going but this chain reaction, if done properly, will force clubs and greedy agents to reassess what they pay their players. Right now, Chelsea will not suffer because they do not need gate money for funding, but every other club does. Maybe this protest will make players realise that £60,000+ per week is a tad excessive.

A few of my mates don't go anymore, Scotty. I wouldn't call them fans.

I'm not talking about the fan who gives the odd game a miss for whatever reason. I'm talking about the fan who goes and doesn't come back. There's about 6000 of those over the last few seasons.

347994[/snapback]

I assure I have followed the topic properly before posting. This topic is particulary close to my heart as I am from a large working class family and the only reason I am the only one who comes on the park anymore is quite simply the cost of a ticket + extras.

You are unmistakeably critising all stay away fans, sorry you wouldn't call them fans. What are they then? I haven't seen a disclaimer saying that your still a fan if your skint and stay away?

Now unless I'm missing something you and your mates have discussed elsewhere, becuase you go to Ewood every week and my mate so so doesn't it makes you a better fan? Yes or No?

I'm not having a go - Just straight up yes or no?

Does anybody know exactly how many season ticket holders we have. A mate reckons we have 15400, I find this hard to believe. If we have that would make around 1600 fans who bought tickets just for this game in the home fans area of the ground. The ticket office are hardly rushed off their feet if this is the case.

Dont think it could be possible to change admission prices this season. But come on next season make it £15 to any game next season for members , you have preference for Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool tickets if you come to at least 5 other games. Season tickets priced accordingly. Non members three tiers of prices as per which cat game they are, say £20, £25 ,£30 with away fans paying the non members price.

OAP and kids tickets priced accordingly. Would we get more income than this season, I suspect we would as a large amount of season ticket holders are currently thinking bugger this for entertainment at these prices, we can have an extra fortnight away in the sun for the same price.

Sorry got a bit off the original track:

HOW MANY SEASON TICKET HOLDERS DO WE HAVE PLEASE ?

Edited by sausagemandog

I assure I have followed the topic properly before posting. This topic is particulary close to my heart as I am from a large working class family and the only reason I am the only one who comes on the park anymore is quite simply the cost of a ticket + extras.

You are unmistakeably critising all stay away fans, sorry you wouldn't call them fans. What are they then? I haven't seen a disclaimer saying that your still a fan if your skint and stay away?

Now unless I'm missing something you and your mates have discussed elsewhere, becuase you go to Ewood every week and my mate so so doesn't it makes you a better fan? Yes or No?

I'm not having a go - Just straight up yes or no?

348032[/snapback]

Bloomin' 'eck Oscar mad.gif . Who in their right mind would criticise any fan for not going down to Ewood if they genuinely couldn't afford it?

All I was getting angry about was the fans who are threatening to walk away from this club on the basis of, or culmination of, some poor performances.

My original post

It's aimed at "the ones who don't come round".

Bloomin' 'eck Oscar mad.gif . Who in their right mind would criticise any fan for not going down to Ewood if they genuinely couldn't afford it?

All I was getting angry about was the fans who are threatening to walk away from  this club on the basis of, or culmination of, some poor performances.

My original post

It's aimed at "the ones who don't come round".

348034[/snapback]

Thanks for clearing that up, like I said not having a go just wanted to know if that was your opinion or not.

All I will say is there are a lot of people who genuinley cant afford and some that were managing just (in reality getting deeper into debt)... but have suddenly found themselves asking why..... and is it really worth it given the limited disposal income they have. I cant criticise them and would be shocked if anyone here did.

I am familar with your orginal post thanks and also support what you are advocating re schools in your other posts.

Even the BIG club is affected by falling gates.

Birmingham chairman David Gold says Premiership ticket prices could tumble after poor early-season attendances.

John Williams is even more concerned after Rovers attracted just 20,725 to Ewood Park for Sunday’s high-profile clash with Newcastle. Last season, the fixture brought in almost 9,000 more fans.

LINK - The Sun

MANCHESTER City played pre-recorded crowd chants at Sunday's game against Bolton in a bid to rouse their fans and improve the atmosphere at their stadium.

Link - The Mirror

Four Lane Blue

Agreed - I would rather stick pins in my eyes than watch Lancashire United. The idea is ludicrous. I am sure the fans of Preston, Blackpool and Burnley would think the same. The day they create Lancashire United (although, of course, it will never happen) is the day I quit football.

Claytons Left boot

err scuse me but should you two be even allowed an opinion (rather than a nostagia / homesick fuelled rant on Rovers dwindling support and finances)?  I will of course apologise if you are both still season ticket holders and still chucking money into the coffers. 

Anyway who thought up the name Lancashire Utd?  Sounds like a bus company? rover.gif 

FLB the fact (and prob the circumstances) that you are in China suggests to me that the world is changing faster than you yourself can comprehend.  The Market forces that sent you there are still at work here you know.  It's sink or swim time for everyone in business.

347316[/snapback]

Of course I'm allowed an opinion...even if you seem to have more than enough opinions for us both. wink.gif No, I'm not a season ticket holder at present as (lazy I know) the travel back and forth from China to each game is a wee bit much. Rovers do benefit through my money for merchandise, shirts etc and when I come back in the new year for a bit I'll be going to some games so yes I'm still chucking some "money into the coffers", albeit not as much as a season ticket holder. Even if I wasn't though, I'm still entitled to my opinion and you're entitled to disagree with it.

As for the market forces...I'm not disagreeing. The question was whether you would support a combined Lancashire team. Well...I wouldn't. Blackburn Rovers are my team and even if they're playing fourth tier football I will still support them. Winning isn't everything you know...

Edited by FourLaneBlue

In the Sun today, big article on the decline in attendances.

Big article with a lot of talk from our very own Chairman in it!!

348117[/snapback]

Is it the same article that I posted a link to further back up the page. or do I need to buy a copy of the red top.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.