BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Italian Refereeing Scandal

Hopefully, Milan won't be dragged into this too much. Relegating both Milan and Juventus will be impossible methinks, it will be a catastrophy in terms of economy. Yes, a lot of things needs to be done, but without trying to start a huge debate; England isn't exactly Mother Teresa in Europe either.. (my point being, the hooligan problem is worst in domestic matches- things thrown onto the pitch excepted.)

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off the sinking ship is Patrick Viera who wants to go back to Arsenal.

i think he can want all he likes, i doubt wenger will take him back unless it's on the cheap as cesc fab is working wonders in viera's absence.

2 totally different types of central midfielders though and i'm sure henry would welcome him back with open arms.

Hopefully, Milan won't be dragged into this too much....England isn't exactly Mother Teresa in Europe either.. (my point being, the hooligan problem is worst in domestic matches- things thrown onto the pitch excepted.)

Milan have been funded by a crook who bribes and gerrymanders himself out of trouble for years. As for England and hooligans, we have had problems, but we are dealing with them by taking away passports etc. The Italians are too incompetent or scared to deal with the problems. This leads to European matches being affected (e.g. Roma fans assaulting the ref with coins at half time, Dida getting 3rd degree burns for a flare, rampant racism towards opposing black players). If England had such a record in recent years, clubs would be rightfully banned. However, UEFA love Italian c__k and will do nothing.

Italian football stinks, and it is about time all the authorities sorted them out.

Hopefully, Milan won't be dragged into this too much. Relegating both Milan and Juventus will be impossible methinks, it will be a catastrophy in terms of economy. Yes, a lot of things needs to be done, but without trying to start a huge debate; England isn't exactly Mother Teresa in Europe either.. (my point being, the hooligan problem is worst in domestic matches- things thrown onto the pitch excepted.)

English football does not have anywhere near to the worst hooligan problem in domestic football in Europe.

A European ban would be a start, instead of faffing about with playing behind closed doors, like Inter had this season. If it was an English team, well, I'm sure you could guess the result.

I didn't say that either, re-read my post please.

I didn't quite understand either. English football, especially in the Premiership, is extremely safe these days. My understanding, although I don't really know that much about it, is that the risk of violence is much higher in Italian, Greek, Dutch and Turkish football.

I am more than willing to be corrected though.

Yeah - hope Rovers don't get any Polish teams in europe, sounds a bit crazy.

I can remember it was a bit ugly when we played Legia Warsaw in the Champions League. After spending a very pleasant day and a half in Warsaw Rovers fans had to walk into the ground from the coaches through two rows of armed police with baying Legia fans in the background.

A European ban would be a start, instead of faffing about with playing behind closed doors, like Inter had this season. If it was an English team, well, I'm sure you could guess the result.

Yes, violence, racism or whatever in the stands in European competition should be punished by banning the team - if they don't solve the problem obviously. (which they haven't as of yet!)

But to say English teams would have been banned for incidents like the ones last year, I don't think so.

I didn't quite understand either. English football, especially in the Premiership, is extremely safe these days. My understanding, although I don't really know that much about it, is that the risk of violence is much higher in Italian, Greek, Dutch and Turkish football.

I am more than willing to be corrected though.

I know, it was a messy post.. Yes, the Premiership is extremely safe, and the same measures should be taken in Italy aswell. But when it comes to European matches, OUTSIDE the stadium, the Italians are not worse than anyone else. Come to think about it, most of the violence that has occured outside stadiums (on nights out after games) involve English fans, why is that?

It could have course be because I don't get to read the other stories though..

The way I see it is because most foreign hooligans still live with the idea of very violent English supporters and look forward to the challenge. Can't remember the last time an English supporter killed anyone.

And why do you think that happens? You reap what you sow!

But the innocent fans supporting England in a peaceful manner aren't reaping "what they sow" . I doubt they were the same ones causing aggro 20 years ago . Nor as Eddie says does it always "take two to tango" . :rolleyes:

But the innocent fans supporting England in a peaceful manner aren't reaping "what they sow" . I doubt they were the same ones causing aggro 20 years ago . Nor as Eddie says does it always "take two to tango" . :rolleyes:

Whilst what you say is no doubt true of the innocent fans Blue Phil, you cannot escape from the fact that 20 years or so ago a very large proportion of travelling England fans earned themselves (and the country) an unsavory reputation as hooligans and thugs, and these kind of reputations are very easy to get, and almost impossible to lose. That is what I meant in my previous post. It is a bit like the "fast gun" reputation in the old wild west; everyone wants to be the one to get him.

Obviously the people who attack the England fans now are just the same kind of thugs as the original English louts that started it all 20 years ago. Perhaps I should modify my original quotation to read "You reap what your predecessors sowed, whether or not you actually deserve it."

Edited by Fife Rover

That's true - the link I posted earlier made it clear that the Polish yobs were after the English in particular . Unfortunately any response to provocation will have the tabloids over here giving our lot undeserved stick. It won't be the first time.....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.