BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

France?

herbergeehh

Fabien Barthez (Olympique Marseille), Gregory Coupet (Olympique Lyon), Mickael Landreau (Nantes).

Eric Abidal (Olympique Lyon), Jean-Alain Boumsong (Newcastle United), Pascal Chimbonda (Wigan Athletic), William Gallas (Chelsea), Gael Givet (Monaco) Willy Sagnol (Bayern München), Mikael Silvestre (Manchester United), Lilian Thuram (Juventus).

Vikash Dhorasoo (Paris St Germain), Alou Diarra (Racing Lens), Claude Makelele (Chelsea), Florent Malouda (Olympique Lyon), Patrick Vieira (Juventus), Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid).

Djibril Cisse (Liverpool), Thierry Henry (Arsenal), Franck Ribery (Olympique Marseille), Louis Saha (Manchester United), David Trezeguet (Juventus), Sylvain Wiltord (Olympique Lyon).

mad.gif

Where the hell is Phillippe Mexes?? Silvestre, Boumsong, you have got to be having a laugh! I also miss Sebastian Frey, who's been overlooked blatantly for years - giving Barthez the opportunity to "shine" as first choice.

Feel free to discuss other choices aswell, Argentina not bringing Walter Samuel and Javier Zanetti.. blink.gif

Coupet is definitely better than Barthez, I just dont know why people love that fat, clumsy and balding GK mad.gif

Another surprise is the absence of Giuly.

On the whole though, its a pretty strong squad, I cant see many European sides apart from England, Italy and Spain who are better than them

Sagnol Thuram Gallas Silvestre

Makalele

Vieira Zidane

Wiltord Henry

Saha/Trezeguet

It's a decent squad, by all means. But with Zidane slightly over-the-top (at least you can't expect him to win the World Cup for France like he did last time) I think they will have to rely on Henry's brilliance and Trezeguet's finishing this time. Thuram is no longer the defender he once was either, I still can't believe how he can include both Givet and Boumsong, and not include Mexes- who's been absolutely top class alongside Chivu for Roma this season. Dubbed the new Laurent Blanc for years, he's finally starting to show why.

Both Dacourt and Candela agree with me btw, can't be arsed to find the link though wink.gif

If Boumsong plays I have no doubt you will all see why he is so highly rated it France. As for the entire squad there are several players I would not have included there, for example cisse. I would have gone with Barthez as well, he works well with the French defence and has the needed experience. Giuly and Anelka would have made it for me, but overall it is a pretty decent squad and I think quite a few of the French based players will make a name for themselves in Germany.

I think you'll be surprised. There is a reason he is in that squad and it is because of what he achieved while in France and even what he did while at Rangers. I'm not a France supporter so I'll enjoy it if he makes some mistake that sees them knocked out, but I do rate him as a defender and I'll be interested to see if he plays the way that he can and goes some way to restoring a reputation that he has destroyed amazingly quickly at Newcastle. Having said that, there are some very good players at Newcastle and I would say that only Given and Owen are left with their reputations intact after last season.

Fabien Barthez (Olympique Marseille), Gregory Coupet (Olympique Lyon), Mickael Landreau (Nantes).

Eric Abidal (Olympique Lyon), Jean-Alain Boumsong (Newcastle United), Pascal Chimbonda (Wigan Athletic), William Gallas (Chelsea), Gael Givet (Monaco) Willy Sagnol (Bayern München), Mikael Silvestre (Manchester United), Lilian Thuram (Juventus).

Vikash Dhorasoo (Paris St Germain), Alou Diarra (Racing Lens), Claude Makelele (Chelsea), Florent Malouda (Olympique Lyon), Patrick Vieira (Juventus), Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid).

Djibril Cisse (Liverpool), Thierry Henry (Arsenal), Franck Ribery (Olympique Marseille), Louis Saha (Manchester United), David Trezeguet (Juventus), Sylvain Wiltord (Olympique Lyon).

mad.gif

Where the hell is Phillippe Mexes?? Silvestre, Boumsong, you have got to be having a laugh! I also miss Sebastian Frey, who's been overlooked blatantly for years - giving Barthez the opportunity to "shine" as first choice.

Feel free to discuss other choices aswell, Argentina not bringing Walter Samuel and Javier Zanetti..  blink.gif

409033[/snapback]

Where the hell is Ludovic Giuly?

As for the Argentine squad-I can understand the reticence over taking Samuel, but Zanetti?! WTF!?

Having said that, there are some very good players at Newcastle and I would say that only Given and Owen are left with their reputations intact after last season.

409107[/snapback]

N'Zogbia was very impressive at times, especially after Roeder took over. Do you know if he was ever in consideration for the French squad.

Giuly is one of the best attacking wide midfielders/strikers in Europe and France haven't picked him!! Big mistake IMO as he can terrorise a defence with his skill and he can spring a pass cross pitch as good as anyone i have seen. His first touch is also superb, just look at his control on Wednesday night when Ronaldinho was making cross pitch passes which rarely were on target so Giuly had to move to them with Cole on his heals and he did him narly everytime.

As for the inclusion of Boumsong, does the French coach have a bet on somebody else winning the WC because they will not win it with him in the side.

I think you'll be surprised. There is a reason he is in that squad and it is because of what he achieved while in France and even what he did while at Rangers. I'm not a France supporter so I'll enjoy it if he makes some mistake that sees them knocked out, but I do rate him as a defender and I'll be interested to see if he plays the way that he can and goes some way to restoring a reputation that he has destroyed amazingly quickly at Newcastle. Having said that, there are some very good players at Newcastle and I would say that only Given and Owen are left with their reputations intact after last season.

409107[/snapback]

Parker left with his increased.

I think it is still quite a strong squad but Mexes omission was a surprise.

I have been really impressed with Ribery, I think (and about a million others) he will be the next big thing out of French football.

The absence of Philipe Mexes and Ludovic Giuly are certainly the two biggest talking points about the French squad. Boumsong is a dreadful defender, while Mexes has really matured this season for Roma and should be in the squad. Guily is another player that should be going to Germany. The only player's that I would say he should be there ahead of are Florent Malouida or Alou Diarra, but they are top players. I'm glad to see Franck Ribery in the squad, because this guy is brilliant and could be a real star. Sebastian Frey is definately should be in the team, but as people have pointed out, he has been overlooked for years. I wouldn't have Barthez in the team, but Coupet as the number 1, Landreau and Frey. I still think that France have a quality team, but I'm not convinced by the manager.

As for Zanetti being ommited, I can't believe that he's been left out. He's been one of the world's best right backs over the last 10 years and this is still the case. What puzzles me more, is that Lionel Scaloni has been named ahead of him.

Edited by RoyRover

Incredible, and a real weakening for Argentina imo. I would also have brought Samuel, I've always thought he was class, but leaving Zanetti out (for SCALONI!) is just strange. Fall out? I see Sorin was picked instead of Veron also, they don't mix if I recall correctly?

When I saw Scaloni for Depor he was quite good, he is certainly failing recently though.

The sceptic in me see's some dodgy play at hand. South America has always had lingering problems with agent's pushing selection of their players for national teams to try and lift the player's profile in Europe.

Scaloni is looking for an out from Depor what better way for his agent to get him exposure then the WC.

I remember the same thing happening at the last WC for the Uruguyan striker (I think Nunez) and Brazil have had a history of awarding one or two appearances for players to lift their stature in Europe.

By the looks of his choices in defenders it looks as if he is going to go with a back three with the option for a back five

Edited by neekoy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.