BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England 1 Paraguay 0

England played well enough in the first half, but I wouldn't agree with Alan Hansen's assessment that they were 'outstanding' and that Steven Gerrard was 'awesome'. Gerrard was awesome in the F.A Cup final. Joe Cole looked good, Crouch linked up well and the defence looked very solid, even against an attack that didn't offer much. The second half was what people have come to expect from England, sitting back, going into their shell, with Sven's tactics and substiutons up the left. They got the three points, which the BBC and England team were keen to stress in a seemingly frantic display of back-tracking, after another overly hyped build up. England can and will improve and the game against the Swedes should decide who wins the group.

Utter garbage, once again the team hasn't played to the sum of it's parts. If you look at that team sheet (besides the @#/? forward line) they should be steamrolling teams, not squeaking out a fortunate win. Yet again Sven has shown his complete lack of tactical nouse, especially in his choice of forwards- Crouch has about as much mobility as a statue, yet he was upfront on his own, pure genius. Walcott wasn't risked, for reasons unbeknown to me whilst Owen is clearly still not fully fit (his match sharpness leaves a lot to be desired).

Overall we'll get fairly deep into the competition only to be comprehensively outclassed by quality opposition. Which is a shame considering the talent the England manager has available.

Typical Sven performance. Started well, and gifted a freak goal after which Paraguay seemed completely overawed and a bundle of nerves. We should have had the game wrapped up after half an hour but tailed off markedly towards half time as Paraguay gained a little self belief.

The second half was a complete shambles. We sat back far too deep and Sven made two unbelievably poor substitutions, taking off Owen and Cole who was probably our best player on the day.

The first substitution left Crouch completely isolated and a huge gap between him and midfield. Downing did OK but isn't the sort of substitution you make when you're trying to tighten things up. The withdrawal of the lively Cole for teacher's pet Hargreaves only hastened the flow of one way traffic towards our goal.

If we're to win it, it seems we'll have to do it despite, not thanks to, the manager. We may also still regret taking only two strikers, the injured Rooney and the kid Walcott who Sven has obviously no intention whatsoever of playing.

England played well enough in the first half, but I wouldn't agree with Alan Hansen's assessment that they were 'outstanding' and that Steven Gerrard was 'awesome'.

Exactly. Those words from Hansen, Motson and Co were bordering insane.

The England first half was reasonable against a dire Paraguay showing. However, how many slick passing moves were there? Most of the joy came from long balls to Crouch who was good both halves. The England neat build up was non-existent.

But for Hansen to suggest that England were 'outstanding' in the first half was so ridiculous it was almost untrue. He just made that crap up to support his criticism of Sven's substitutions. England were average, first half, woeful second.

It's day two and these so-called pundits are doing my head in with their nonsensical ramblings.

BTW HOW damn awful was Gary Neville (even in that 'outstanding' first half). I'd guess that nearly 90% of his forward passes were misdirected. Just crap.

And when will the 'Axis of Confusion' aka Lampard - Gerrard actually start working?

Edited by rover6

I just wonder, with Downing coming on, how much influence the next coach McClaren has.

I know Sven is usually passive but every time the camera panned to our bench today he seemed practically comatose. McClaren was the one doing all the talking and making the notes. :huh:

But for Hansen to suggest that England were 'outstanding' in the first half was so ridiculous it was almost untrue. He just made that crap up to support his criticism of Sven's substitutions.

I think he was also trying to back up his bizarre claim from the day before that England had the best European squad at the World Cup. :huh:

What do you expect though?

Tactically, Eriksson got it right. They got the goal they needed and secured the win. They did just enough to get what they had to get from the game. Sure, it was unimpressive but you can't put all the blame on the manager for that. Once the game kicks off it's down to the players and some of them were very poor. The Lampard/Gerrard duo should be a good one but today there was a lack of balance to the midfield. They have to decide between them who is going to hold and who's going to come forward. And to me, both are better going forward than sitting deep.

And finally, during the last 30 mins England looked knackered. As we know all to well, if you can't follow through during all 90 mins, you're not going to win as many games as you should. Just ask Mark Hughes.

If Owen is still to reach peak fitness, then what does that signal for Rooney? No doubt the guy will be drafted in well ahead of time to inspire some sort of excitment.

Different players, more importantly, different types of players. Owen lives off of making runs and getting in behind teams and the neat part of the game that has to be wonderfully timed, Rooney gets the ball and does stuff. It will take Owen longer to get back into playing than Rooney.

Job done today, wasn't wonderful, but got 3 points.

Thought England played ok today. No need to peak too soon in the competition. First half we played quite well actually and was never in any danger against a half decent side who England made look pretty poor.

Second half both teams did nothing, which suited Englang just fine. England win in 1st gear which is good enough for me.

Whats the point in playing fantastic against Paraguay when we have bigger fish to fry later in the competition. England couldn't win either way anyway, had we played well everyone would be saying, "its only Paraguay"

I watched the matched in a packed exhange sq, manchester. However since I was quite far away and could not make out many of the players, and it was baking hot, I left after half time, looks like a missed a gripping 2nd half :D:D

England to play fantastic stuff winning with at least 3 goals in every game.

Passing the ball around with something like conviction would be a nice start.

I get the feeling that this gloriously talented midfield duo of Lampard and Gerrard will never work. I would kick out Lampard and bring in Carrick and hope that Gerrard starts putting in some Liverpool performances, with the shackles having been released.

I know Sven is usually passive but every time the camera panned to our bench today he seemed practically comatose. McClaren was the one doing all the talking and making the notes. :huh:

They were probably playing hangman :)

I've yet to see a truly convincing performance by any of the big guns, though I'm sure there will be one, but it really does show England fans why there is no need to jump on the teams back just because they had a poor second half, but looked comfortable and won.

I get the feeling that this gloriously talented midfield duo of Lampard and Gerrard will never work. I would kick out Lampard and bring in Carrick and hope that Gerrard starts putting in some Liverpool performances, with the shackles having been released.

I am with you on this. They should play 3 out of Cole, Beckham, Lampard and Gerrard based upon who is doing the business, bringing the fourth player for an under performer around the 60th minute. It would keep our midfield fresher going into the knockout rounds too. Carrick would help us retain the ball in a way we just couldn't do on saturday.

Not going to happen though is it? Especially since when we did bring on a holding player Sven wheeled out Hargreaves.

Still a win is a win! And Svens results are the best of any manager in England history.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.