BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

Must-read article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertai...and-870520.html

This describes perfectly my frustrations with the indie 'scene' right now.

Lovely article. I'd stopped buying The Independent as frequently as I did, but that restores my faith in it somewhat.

The word 'indie' now really just means guitar-pop. So many bands obviously saw the commercial success of Busted and McFly and decided they wanted some of that, so now we have hundreds of the little @#/?s. I swear, if I hear that bloody "she's so lovely" line (think it's Scouting for Girls?) one more time I will burn the face off of the next skinny-jeaned git I find with their own hair straighteners. :angry2:

The world would have been a much better place if someone had Hiroshima'd this monstrosity of a 'festival' last weekend. Pretty much everyone and everything wrong with music together on the same day, in the same place, at the same time. Opportunity missed. :(

Edited by LeChuck

A superb article with some really 'on the nose' writing:

'Luckily the current UK music scene has just the thing. Someone has even compounded a helpful term to use when you call the record companies in a line-up emergency; this uninspiring, guitar-gelled Polyfilla – of which The Fratellis are a fine example – is now known by some as "landfill indie"...You know who they are, these smooth-chinned strummers, with their smart-arsed, self-admiring band names almost invariably prefaced by the definite article: The Kooks, The Courteeners, The Holloways, The Rascals, The View, The Wombats, The Automatic, The Pigeon Detectives, The Hoosiers. Their turgid, tuneless banalities use all the oxygen between ad breaks on XFM..."Scouting for Girls are like the sound of Satan's scrotum emptying. They're abysmal." '

I really couldn't have put it better myself. What they failed to mention though is that these twits are on Soccer AM every Saturday.

(Tight jeans + silly pork pie hat) x long angular fringe=absolutely s__t music.

I'll second that. Though you forgot the anonymous cloth shoes.

This genre of music has become more and more dreadful in the last couple of years. Even pop music has more variety these days than the 'Indie' scene.

Edited by Rovermatt

The only bands I'm interested in that has emerged over the last 10 years are Muse, The Hives, Eighties Matchbox......., and British Sea Power. The Who and The Ramones are 100 times better than any of these joke bands like The Hoosiers. And The Ramones admitted they were crap, but they still entertained and helped create punk music. All these bands will create are new fashions to boost Top Shop and Claire's Accessories profits, and make 16 year olds appear more silly than ever.

The Hives, Eighties Matchbox......., and British Sea Power.

Ah good old Eighties Matchbox, what's going on with them now? I think they released an EP last year but I haven't heard anything of it. Fish Fingers is my favourite song of theirs, I still play that a lot even now. I remember seeing them at Leeds festival (2003 I think) by chance, I didn't know who they were before then, but they were brilliant to watch.

I think I'm in the same situation with The Hives as well, I haven't heard anything for years. I love Your New Favourite Band, that used to be the drinking album for my friends and I back in sixth form. I wasn't keen on Tyrannosaurus Hives, I think I'll give the new album a chance though...I'd kind of forgotten about them to be honest.

British Sea Power were excellent (I write this whilst sat in a BSP t-shirt), but I think they've really gone off the boil, both live and recorded. I saw them at the same Leeds festival as Eighties Matchbox because we'd heard a bit of a buzz around that they were going to be great. They came out dressed in foliage and I remember Yan (I think it was him) climbing the scaffolding of the stage and sliding in to the crowd dressed as a tree. I saw them several times after that when they were promoting The Decline Of... and they were always brilliant. The last time I went to see them was when they were promoting Open Season, but it was very dull in comparison and I don't really like that album, so I've given up going now. I gave the latest album a few listens but I don't like it, I think they've lost some of the anarchic energy Eamon brought (used to love him walking round on stage wearing a drum-helmet and banging his head). Listen to Spirit of St. Louis if you haven't heard it, it's a B-Side from The Decline Of... but it's probably their best song.

I agree with TGM that the Libertines were good when they were around, but the amount of awful replicas they spawned means they'll never be remembered fondly. I think The Strokes suffer with the same thing, their first album was brilliant and quite different to what was around at the time (I love New York City Cops) but again, loads of other bands latched on to the sound and ruined their reputation.

Edited by LeChuck

Didn't like the libertines. They were tuneless crap with stupid hats and a staggering nobber mumbling like a tramp.

Wow, a crystal clear definition of one of the most overrated bands of recent years. The hysteria surrounding The Libertines is embarrassing .

Edited by Rovermatt

Wow, a crystal clear definition of one of the most overrated bands of recent years. The hysteria surrounding The Libertines is embarrassing .

I agree. I never take to much interest of the 'TOP 100 BANDS EVER' polls that the magasines always run when they have nothing to fill pages but I am always amazed that the Libertines are always high up in them with quotes like 'one of the most important bands ever' next to their picture - hang on, didnt they have something like 2 albums? Pathetic

I agree. I never take to much interest of the 'TOP 100 BANDS EVER' polls that the magasines always run when they have nothing to fill pages but I am always amazed that the Libertines are always high up in them with quotes like 'one of the most important bands ever' next to their picture - hang on, didnt they have something like 2 albums? Pathetic

I agree that calling them 'one of the most important bands ever' is much too excessive, but the Stone Roses only had two albums too and theyre still (rightly) regarded as legendary. Up the Bracket was a fantastic album, especially lyrically.

I agree that calling them 'one of the most important bands ever' is much too excessive, but the Stone Roses only had two albums too and theyre still (rightly) regarded as legendary. Up the Bracket was a fantastic album, especially lyrically.

Ah yes so my argument about the two album thing is blown away :lol:

The mags that compare The Stone Roses and The Libertines in the same bracket are stupid.

Yeah but the Stone Roses were clearly good.

So were the Libs, I agree Stone Roses were better though. I couldn't stand the Libs when they first came out, it all sounded like tuneless rambling rubbish and the usual NME hype put me off aswell, but when you sit down and take the time with Up the Bracket there's a lot of depth to it. Definitely worth revisiting if you didn't give them much of a chance as I know quite a few people who hated them at first too but came back to really like them.

I'm a sucker for great lyrics too, and while you might have your own personal opinion of Pete Doherty, the man is a brilliant lyricist - he got sent to Russia by the British Council when he was an innocent 16 year old to read out some of his poetry. More talent in his little finger than any of these new bands mentioned before have between them, shame he's thrown it away a bit and Babyshambles have been rank average for the most part.

'Important' bands don't have to be prolific, there aren't many more 'important' bands than the Sex Pistols and they only released two albums.

hang on, didnt they have something like 2 albums? Pathetic

That's completely irrelevant really Cocker, the Sex Pistols only had one album for example (not that I'm comparing them at all, I wouldn't dare). I don't exactly advocate their appearance in any sort of top 100 list, but you can't argue they had a massive influence (for better or worse) on the indie scene. How many albums they released doesn't come in to it though.

Edit: Scary LD...we wrote that at exactly the same time!

Edited by LeChuck

That's completely irrelevant really Cocker, the Sex Pistols only had one album for example (not that I'm comparing them at all, I wouldn't dare). I don't exactly advocate their appearance in any sort of top 100 list, but you can't argue they had a massive influence (for better or worse) on the indie scene. How many albums they released doesn't come in to it though.

Edit: Scary LD...we wrote that at exactly the same time!

You not counting 'Rock 'n' roll swindle' LeChuck?

You not counting 'Rock 'n' roll swindle' LeChuck?

I'm not...should I be? I find it hard to call it a Sex Pistols album when Johnny Rotten wasn't involved.

Edit: Cocker...so you did. My mistake. Still, at least we get to talk about the Sex Pistols now. :)

Edited by LeChuck

I'm not...should I be? I find it hard to call it a Sex Pistols album when Johnny Rotten wasn't involved.

Edit: Cocker...so you did. My mistake. Still, at least we get to talk about the Sex Pistols now. :)

No not really, just wanted to get pedantic before someone else did!!

Fair play. I only half caught a story the other day about the Sex Pistols minder beating up the lad from the Bloc Party - does anyone know what all that was about?

Edited by Cocker

Fair play. I only half caught a story the other day about the Sex Pistols minder beating up the lad from the Bloc Party - does anyone know what all that was about?

Kele says it was racism, Lydon denied it but other bands have come out since backing up Kele's story. Doesn't surprise me one bit - Never Mind the ###### is a classic, but Lydon is a (please dont use that word again) of the highest order and they're one of the biggest embarassments in music these days.

Edited by Cocker

Kele says it was racism, Lydon denied it but other bands have come out since backing up Kele's story. Doesn't surprise me one bit - Never Mind the ###### is a classic, but Lydon is a (please dont use that word again) of the highest order and they're one of the biggest embarassments in music these days.

I always thought that until I saw him on that 'I'm a celebrity get me out of here' on which I thought he came across ok (I better than I thought he would at least)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.