BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

It is a good return. I haven't wanted to slap Chris Martin after hearing that new single yet.

Why do people think that Nickelback song is so great? Has everyone forgotten about real rock music? Am I in a parallel universe where Ace of Spades, Appetite for Destruction and The Who never existed? That Rock Star crap is typical of the MOR whinging arse gravy that people who listen to Kiss FM think is rock. It isn't. It's rubbish that teenagers mums are supposed to like to try and look cool in front of their kids' friends.

Nothing new there, however Coldplay is painfully boring. If you're gonna be all melancholic, then at least make it a bit interesting, like Placebo. What's Chris Martin got to complain about anyway? It's James Blunt with a backing band.

Off to see Nine Pound Hammer on Thursday, two hours of hillbilly rock. Nice!

Went to see the Foo Fighters at Wembley Stadium last friday.

Twoz an awesome show indeed!

They`ve been playing bits of the shows on Radio1 this week. :tu:

To be fair to the Ting Tings, I don't think that you, Cocker, fall within their target audience. Just a guess... :brfcsmilie:

You make a good point

cletus Posted Today, 05:30

They`ve been playing bits of the shows on Radio1 this week.

Was that the one where a couple of guys from Led Zepelin turned up to play with them?

Edited by Cocker

Never bought any of their stuff before but am just waiting for Skin & Bones to arrive, bought via Amazon for five hundred and sixty three English pennies including postage!

I really like some of their stuff, and live they are brilliant. Still feel they're a bit erratic at times on CD though, they have one or two really good songs, then a few really average. Haven't heard S&B though, but a live best-of album should fit them well.

Never bought any of their stuff before but am just waiting for Skin & Bones to arrive, bought via Amazon for five hundred and sixty three English pennies including postage!

Enjoy :rover: ...really is bliss, especially if you like their milder moments as much as their 100 mile an hour stuff!!

We were sat quite high up in the gods, but saw this going on for a good 20 minutes....

Human target practice

A brave man indeed....

Off to see Queensryche perform Operation Mindcrime I & II in Manchester next week...a 3 hour show ....Any fans?

Operation mindcrime.....excellent album! Didn`t know they`d done a 2nd one. Is it any good?

Saw Queensryche supporting Dio many moons ago (at least i am told it was them) they were relatively new at the time (Queen of the Ryche EP era)

anyone got the new Paul Weller album ?

Yes.

Its the best thing he has done in years :rolleyes:

Agreed. A tour de force of genres, moods, ideas and sounds. 9/10.

For quality SKA, try Prince Buster, Toots and so on. Original is best.

Details on the new Oasis album for those interested:-

‘The Shock Of The Lightning’ new single out September 29th

‘Dig Out Your Soul’ new album out October 6th

Oasis are set to return later this year with a new single and their seventh studio album. The single,‘The Shock Of The Lightning’ is released on September 29th and the album, ‘Dig Out Your Soul’ follows in October; it is the first new Oasis music since last year’s ‘Lord Don’t Slow Me Down’, taken from the on the road film of the same name. ‘Dig Out Your Soul’ sees Dave Sardy return to the producer’s chair following his work on their 2005 album, ‘Don’t Believe The Truth’. Recorded at Abbey Road and mixed in Los Angeles, all four members once again contribute tracks, but the recording marks a new approach for the band as described by the band’s principle songwriter, Noel:

“I wanted to write music that had a groove; not songs that followed that traditional pattern of verse, chorus and middle eight. I wanted a sound that was more hypnotic; more driving. Songs that would draw you in, in a different way. Songs that you would maybe have to connect to - to feel.”

The lead single is still unmistakably Oasis, a Noel penned song with Liam’s immediately familiar voice to the fore underlining their distinctive brand of finger in the socket rock ’n’ roll.

‘The Shock Of The Lightning’ may well represent the most recognisable Oasis song on the album but, again, the new approach on ‘Dig Out Your Soul’ was present on this lead track as Noel explains:

“If ‘The Shock Of The Lightning’ sounds instant and compelling to you, it’s because it was written dead fast. And recorded dead fast. ‘The Shock of The Lightning’ basically is the demo. And it has retained its energy. And there’s a lot to be said for that, I think. The first time you record something is always the best.”

‘Dig Out Your Soul’ will be the first album released on the band’s own Big Brother label worldwide.

Just to bring this thread back to the middle ages.......

I went to see Michael Buble at the Sydney Entertainement Centre. Great great show. Had an acapela (?) group as a warm up, called Natural7, absolutely brilliant.

Buble sounds exactly like he does on cd. His band was great and gave some excellent jazz sounds.

Buble came down into the audience, specifically to say hello to two kids and their mum. When he got back on stage after several "gropings" he said, "Lady, I've never had my butt squeezed that hard before!"

His singing was great. Well worth the visit.

Second thing, my daughter brought me a couple of cd's from NY. Both by a Chicago based jazz singer called Kurt Elling. Got to admit, better than Buble. I'm into jazz, and this guy is sensational. If your girl is in her late twenties/early thirties with a bit of class, then a well cooked dinner by candlelight, some fine wine, and Kurt Elling's music then you are 90% of the way there.

Edited by dave birch

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.