BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Killing Us!

As for diverting money from Murdoch to the pub landlord, you aren't. The foreign tv will have legally purchased the rights to the game, so the big guys will have got their cut. The only thing you are doing is taking money away from the club. If you think live footy is overpriced at the current prices that our club is charging then you'll never be satisfied. I'm sure the majority of those who skip the game to sit in the pub spend just as much, if not more, in the pub then they ever would have at the match. It's a poor excuse.

More to the point, if you want to encourage clubs to take steps to reduce prices you have to reward them when they do, if not they won't see the point. If you think paying an average of 15 pounds for a game (or whatever you can get now) is too much and there isn't a sufficient increase in attendances to make up for the reduction in price then the club will simply increase the prices in the long run.

Good points eddie. The country's full of people who always want summet for nowt.

Edited by thenodrog

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the time fast approaching when the only logical and workable solution will be for the TV Companies to make ALL Premiership games freely available live, and pay the clubs accordingly more, allowing them to admit supporters into the ground for nothing?.

If some sort of system could be worked out whereby it cost say a tenner to watch a match on TV whether at home or in the Pub, but it was free at the ground, people's priorities might change somewhat.

Good points eddie. The country's full of people who always want summet for nowt.

Maybe , but that's the way the system works .

The way technology is going it's a pointless task the Rovers trying to get the police to check all the pubs in town . Are they going to go breaking down people's doors looking for suspect channels on the TV or internet next ?

The bottom line is that Rovers have to fill the ground in order to retain the best players and management in the long run . If the ground is still half empty then either the price is not right or there are other more significant factors to be considered .

Whatever the case I'll still be looking to be watching away games at the local boozer . I don't care who suffers really ......I believe I already contribute enough to the coffers ! :tu:

Whatever the case I'll still be looking to be watching away games at the local boozer . I don't care who suffers really ......I believe I already contribute enough to the coffers ! :tu:

Must say Phil I run with the Hare and hunt with the Hounds on that one! :rover:

Not intentional that Phil. You know me I cannot always tell the Woods from the trees. ;)

Are you saying the woodlands are showing live away games... 7 day posting ban it is then ;)

We havent actually stated a position on the dodgy sky stuff yet. Blatant advertising isnt tolerated mind. its a difficult one is that, as its certainly something I take advantage of from time to time.

I think that's fine, but there are plenty who don't.

• 4 months later...

Sounds like it's only half time in this case . But what a state of affairs - £6000 a year to Sky while the Greeks pay £800 :angry:

If the EU is all about open borders , harmonising trade and easing trans-national fiscal restrictions then it can only deliver one verdict .

In that case I might have even a decent word for the corrupt buggers.... :wacko:

If not then AESF will have been proved right all along :tu:

Sky's greed has a lot to do with this, they are charging an extortionate amount for pubs/clubs to show games, I have sympathy for landlords who have subscribed to the Arab channel and are paying a lower price to show football but are being told they are in the wrong, they are still paying for it rarther than having a illegal feed, so i can't see the problem with it, although Mr Scudamore and Mr Murdoch can.

Its not Sky's greed- where do you think all the money for the Premiership is coming from?

If Landlords are allowed to buy Arabic feeds, then why should not ordinary citizens be able to buy arabic TV broadcasts of EPL games at an 80% discount? One follows the other.

Chinese Premiership TV rights screwed up.

Edited by philipl

If Landlords are allowed to buy Arabic feeds, then why should not ordinary citizens be able to buy arabic TV broadcasts of EPL games at an 80% discount? One follows the other.

Ordinary citizens can and do buy Arab TV broadcasts of EPL matches ......Sky is fighting a losing battle in this department .

When we watch away games in our local it's always Albanian TV with English commentators. I recognise the voices but can't name them, it's clearly aimed at a UK audience. Surely Sky should have some arguement with those companies?

That surely is the root of the problem , Paul - Sky are trying to have their cake and eat it .

They must surely realise that it's just going to get easier and easier for punters to get access to Albanian/arab channels in their own home or through their computers .

Eventually in this global market they'll have to bring their prices down in the UK - I think :wacko:

Eventually in this global market they'll have to bring their prices down in the UK - I think :wacko:

And when that happens, then clubs like ours will be the first to suffer as the only thing that's keeping us competitive is the SKY deal money - without it and we'll be down in the bottom half of the Championship where some might say we deserve to be with our attendance.

Better enjoy the Premier League ride whilst it's still affordable.

Edited by 78

That surely is the root of the problem , Paul - Sky are trying to have their cake and eat it .
Nothing new there in my book!

According to philip's China link the cost there is £39 pa. Now that I would say was reasonable, in fact at that point I'd be tempted to buy Sky. The difficulty is the product is worth what the market will pay. Clearly in the UK people are prepared to pay an extortionate amount while it appears the Chinese won't pay a reasonable price. Obviously levels of disposable income will be very different.

I feel the Sky price will only drop when it becomes very simple for people to receive a non-Sky signal. No doubt technically minded people will say it already is, but for the majority learning how or where to rip-off a satellite broadcast is not an easy task. If someone starts to sell a plug in, self tuning receiver Sky will have a problem.

Ok no point scoring with this contribution.

There are four trends emerging rapidly which all point to the last deal being a sort of EPL high watermark:

- The internet is going to be an increasingly dominant method of distribution which the existing deals handle inadequately

- The EU will eventually level the playing field

- The EPL is the superior product but not THAT superior they can justify the premium in emerging markets as the Chinese experience is showing

- The new entrant into the Maltese TV market has bought MUTV, Arsenal TV, Chelsea TV and Liverpool TV feeds.

Average annual salary in Beijing (chinese capital therefore most directly comparable to London) is approximately £2,400 per year. That is less than one tenth of London average salary of just over £30,000. Multiplying up, the comparative figure for China to us is therefore £491. Or £41 per month, which is about what Sky costs in the UK.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.