BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Killing Us!

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it when the old 'Lancashire United' stuff comes up...always some good, funny arguments and slanging matches follow :lol:

Just for devilment I'll chuck this one in:

Greater Manchester population: 2,585,800

Old Trafford capacity: 75,000 +/-

if sold out Utd attract 2.9% of the population, I know most of them come from Essex

Lancashire population: 1,156,100

Lancs Utd capacity: 40,000

If sold out this would represent 3.45% of Lancastrians, better pulling power than the best supported club in the world (or so they say) Now that would be some marketing exercise :)

Without turning this into a BRISA thread we are having a committee meeting very soon to discuss the direction we should take for now and the future.

You should have had a newsletter about ten days ago.

Some time last season i read a revue (posted on BRFCS) from an away supporter saying "Everybodies favorite away-day....Blackburn"

....Maybe, after charging them £36 that`s not the case anymore & that`s why away crowds are down at Ewood. Even away fans have intelligence enough to see they`re getting fleeced, so stay away. :huh:

Instead of following the sheep, Rovers should be paving the way, slashing their prices to all fans & making Ewood Park & Blackburn Rovers THE fan friendly club & ground.

...You never know, they might start a trend? :unsure:

Just thought again it's worth pointing out that Fulham's lowest price for a category C game is £25; Tottenham's is £27; Bolton's £21; Wigan £22 even BURNLEY'S is £17. Ours is £15.

Why on earth can't you people be satisfied? We're the cheapest premiership ground by a country mile, yet you whine. It's not the club's fault your circumstances don't let you go to games, the club have- as a previous contributer said- protected Rovers fans by freezing prices. I appreciate it costs a lot to go to football, but if you want to watch a Premiership club, you have to pay Premiership rates. Them's the rates- get over it.

Just thought again it's worth pointing out that Fulham's lowest price for a category C game is £25; Tottenham's is £27; Bolton's £21; Wigan £22 even BURNLEY'S is £17. Ours is £15.

Why on earth can't you people be satisfied? We're the cheapest premiership ground by a country mile, yet you whine. It's not the club's fault your circumstances don't let you go to games, the club have- as a previous contributer said- protected Rovers fans by freezing prices. I appreciate it costs a lot to go to football, but if you want to watch a Premiership club, you have to pay Premiership rates. Them's the rates- get over it.

You just still don't get it do ya

The thing is Jan, that even though rovers prices are cheap by comparison to other clubs - it is still expensive for most people.

It's no use saying to people -well that's the price, tough ****.

The club know it's too expensive.

Years ago, Brian Clough said that televised football would eventually empty football grounds and that spectators would have to be let in for free. With the present rate of decline at Rovers that time is fast approaching !

For various reasons I watched the other night a video of the home match against Charlton in April 2002; sunny day, end of season match, a few hundred from Charlton but a crowd of about 26,000. Where have they all gone ?

What is puzzling is why Rovers' gates have collapsed so spectacularly in such a short space of time while clubs of similar size and in towns of similar profile such as Bolton and Middlesbrough have been less badly affected.

Blackburn Rovers are an English footballing institution and historical pioneers of the game.For 130+ years we have had the highs and we have had the lows but one thing remains constant and strong and is a source of pride for us all...........WE HAVE ALWAYS SURVIVED,WHATEVER THE DIVISION,WHATEVER THE WEATHER AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO.

Hypothetically speaking,If the choice was given between the total disbandment of Rovers and the forming of a hideous 'Lancashire United' or going back in time 20 years to the Rovers of old,(old Ewood 6-7,000 crowds)I have no doubt in my mind that 99.9% would choose the latter.

Theno would be the .1% ;)

You just still don't get it do ya

No I'm afraid Jan doesn't get it.

I chose to afford the ST, I'm not whinging about that. I'm just sick to death of being treated like a fool. I have to listen to managers, coaches, the media, players spouting the same old garbage every week. Men like Mourinho, Fergusson, Benitez, McDermott today, who should know better, behaving like spoilt children. Kissing the badge, playing for my club when they want to be somewhere else and telling me that's the case. I'm tired of the gate debate, I'm tired of a half-empty ground, I'm bored with watching games with meaningless results, I don't look at the PL table anymore more - Rovers are twelth, Utd are top, beyond that I haven't a clue who is doing what. I'm sick and tired of hearing of cup draws that will earn the club a lot of money, oh and by the way we have a game to play as well.

I want to watch footballers who are trying their best, footballers I can relate to, footballers who look like they care. I want MOTD to be special, I want televised football to special, I want European nights to be special, I want to be excited.....and I want to do it at 3.00pm every other Saturday. We had all that once, and terrible tea and pies.

On the other hand if football wants to charge £36 for 90 minutes I expect to get a damn sight more for my money than is currently on offer at most grounds. We've had around 15 years of the PL and billions pumped into the game. Guess what I still can't buy anything decent to eat or drink at half-time anywhere. If I'm paying £36 for an event I expect to be treated as though I'm VERY important, not talked down to every day by some idiot manager, not forced to elbow my way to the bar, not treated like I may be a hooligan, not offered disgusting pies and chips at half-time.

Football in this country hasn't a clue about looking after their customers....and that is why people have stopped going. Jan you know you wouldn't put up with it in any other area of life. Why in football?

What is puzzling is why Rovers' gates have collapsed so spectacularly in such a short space of time while clubs of similar size and in towns of similar profile such as Bolton and Middlesbrough have been less badly affected.

Because Rovers success happened far too quick and we attracted too many 'bandwagoners' who were simply not in it for the long haul.Barring a miracle like £10 tickets across the board next season our crowds will continue to fall until they reach their natural level.

I want to watch footballers who are trying their best, footballers I can relate to, footballers who look like they care. I want MOTD to be special, I want televised football to special, I want European nights to be special, I want to be excited.....and I want to do it at 3.00pm every other Saturday. We had all that once, and terrible tea and pies.

I went to Bamber Bridge v Bradford Park Avenue t'other night Paul.

£6 in, Premium Lager at £2.35 a pint, cheaper stuff less than £2 a pint.

Players who were passionate, a bit of a luagh with the Avenue fans I was next to, some mutual abuse at players of both teams. Hearing the shouts from the players, urging each other on.

Thoroughly enjoyable evening out, and a fair few beers, for less than the cheapest matchday at Ewood.

Because Rovers success happened far too quick and we attracted too many 'bandwagoners' who were simply not in it for the long haul.Barring a miracle like £10 tickets across the board next season our crowds will continue to fall until they reach their natural level.

Most of the 'bandwagoners' deserted the club when Rovers were relegated three years previously and does not explain why attendances have fallen off a cliff in the past few seasons.

Confucius also said, although it was never recorded 'You can't make a mountain out of a molehill'

There's a lot on here who frequently do just that. :)

Blackburn Rovers are an English footballing institution and historical pioneers of the game.For 130+ years we have had the highs and we have had the lows but one thing remains constant and strong and is a source of pride for us all...........WE HAVE ALWAYS SURVIVED,WHATEVER THE DIVISION,WHATEVER THE WEATHER AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO.

Hypothetically speaking,If the choice was given between the total disbandment of Rovers and the forming of a hideous 'Lancashire United' or going back in time 20 years to the Rovers of old,(old Ewood 6-7,000 crowds)I have no doubt in my mind that 99.9% would choose the latter.

Theno would be the .1% ;)

I believe the currently popular term for people with a viewpoint like yours is 'Loser'

On the other hand if football wants to charge £36 for 90 minutes I expect to get a damn sight more for my money than is currently on offer at most grounds. We've had around 15 years of the PL and billions pumped into the game. Guess what I still can't buy anything decent to eat or drink at half-time anywhere. If I'm paying £36 for an event I expect to be treated as though I'm VERY important, not talked down to every day by some idiot manager, not forced to elbow my way to the bar, not treated like I may be a hooligan, not offered disgusting pies and chips at half-time.

You may have a point Paul but rem YOU don't pay anything like £36 to get into Ewood and never have. If we are not careful this category A+ price will be mistaken for the norm by many. Your buckets definitely half empty at the moment.

The fact that you've posted so obnoxiously and defensively

Best example of Pot and Kettle ever! :lol:

As for your ridiculously childish repost of "what's your idea then?" I'm able to admit that I haven't got one.

I already knew that. ;)

The sad truth is that, more than ever before, money matters. The clubs with the most money are, by and large, the most successful. Rovers are always going to struggle to compete with the big city clubs in the current climate as we simply don't have the fanbase.

That is my point precisely.

All the club can do in the short term is maximise their resources as best they can. That means good team management, good accountancy, and good transfer dealing - things I think the club have done pretty well since Hughes took over. The club need to hold onto the fans that they've got as best as they can, and hope that the team continues to be successful.

When the team were the most successful team in the country we could not average anywhere near 30,000. What chance 40,000 with a club that is unlikely ever again to be top dog in a town with a diminishing white population?

There were a number of ideas and schemes in the BRISA Attendance Proposal (some of which I notice have been implemented this summer) that could help in this regard.

Touch unfair this as it's early days and I will never criticise anybody for their best efforts BUT attendances have continued to drop since the formation of BRISA.

In the longer term things have to change nationally or even internationally if Rovers are really going to compete with the bigger clubs. The current 'money = success' formula has to change, or at least be watered down, before the whole game, not just Rovers, find themselves in trouble. The Champions League is a ridiculous tournament that is designed to ensure that the rich clubs stay rich. The current Premiership TV deal gives the clubs far too much money, money that is not distributed evenly enough, and provides far too much coverage of the matches.

Don't hold your breath. Afraid the 'if you cannot stand the heat in the kitchen then get out' adage applies.

I suspect there are a lot of "losers" then, if anyone who disagrees with your ridiculous Lancashire United proposal.

Is it me or does that sentence not make sense? Have you missed something out?

QUOTE(AggyBlue @ Sep 21 2006, 12:52 )

Confucius also said, although it was never recorded 'You can't make a mountain out of a molehill'

There's a lot on here who frequently do just that.

What confucius meant was - we are a small town club and will never be a big city club.

If that means the financial constraints of being a smaller club with smaller crowds is finding our level to be the championship, so be it. At least there'll be regular 3pm Saturday kick offs.

Being in the premier league is not a prerequisite to my going watching the Rovers.

With an astute manager who spends wisely on players I'm sure we could survive for many years at the top level no matter what size the crowds are.

The only problem I have is dealing with the grief from mancs or scousers at work over our crowd size.

For various reasons I watched the other night a video of the home match against Charlton in April 2002; sunny day, end of season match, a few hundred from Charlton but a crowd of about 26,000. Where have they all gone ?

In fact the crowd at the Charlton game was 27 506. Last season the game against Charlton the crowd was 17 691

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.