BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Killing Us!

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heck, even if I can't make it, I'll buy tickets and kit to support the team.

A suggestion that I've made many times to our more vociferous and opinionated exiled supporters. Unfortunately and just like the 'Team Lanky' bit.......and some fell on stony ground .

Just give it up Theno as one of those bad ideas that appear now and again eh! ;)

I promise to just as soon as you or somebody else comes up with an alternative way of getting 40,000 in to Ewood every home game to place us on a par with proper 'big' clubs, and which would give us a sustainable income without the use of the Trust Fund to annually bale us out of the doo doo.

Oh and I know a few public executions at half time for adultery or similar would do it easily but rem Brussels won't allow us to do that ....just yet.

Ok then, here's a good one....

Let's knock the Riverside down, and then move on to the top tier of the Darwen End. Contunue this process until the ground is full week in week out and even regular die hard fans are struggling to get a ticket.

Then make it mandatory to buy 10 year season tickets (with concessions of course) as the only guarantee of getting a match ticket. Over sell and before you know it we have 40,000 season ticket holders for the next 10 years.

And then re-build the stadium really really quickly

We never have been and never will be a 'big club' Theno.....but boy oh boy haven't we done well being our little old selves!

Everyone seems to have very low esteem on here.

Whilst we are in the Premiership we are not a small club we are a big club in a small town. No shame in that whatsoever nor in not being able to attract 40,000 gates.

Our six fingered rivals from a bygone era down the M65 falll into the "small club" category.

And for the sake of argument a club like Wycombe are a smaller club still.

Everyone seems to have very low esteem on here.

Whilst we are in the Premiership we are not a small club we are a big club in a small town. No shame in that whatsoever nor in not being able to attract 40,000 gates.

Making 6 points from Man U all the sweeter! Big club ?

Rovers don't need Lancy United.

The Dingles, Pne and Blackpool need Lancy United.

WE DON'T !!

Oh and I know a few public executions at half time for adultery or similar would do it easily but rem Brussels won't allow us to do that ....just yet.

Oh yes! That would certainly do it Theno, and they would not bat an eyelid at paying £36 admission. Come to think of it we could probably sell out the ground in S/T's alone. Might even need to build a bigger stadium.

Oh and nearly forgot; a fair percentage of the attendees would be able to look forward to taking a starring role at the half time entertainment themselves! Wonderful idea!!

Edited by Fife Rover

We never have been and never will be a 'big club' Theno.....but boy oh boy haven't we done well being our little old selves!

We ARE a big club, and we are far far bigger than a club like Birmingham. Football is based on success, not just crowds.

No, if that happened, we'd be almost guaranteed larger gates once Lanky United started progressing. Make for a good derby too! In fact, I'm all for it.

And they should redevelop Deepdale as their new home ground (I've always liked the name, sounds like an Elven city from some book :) )

It's the way of things, if we had a close rival team interest in the area would go up, followed (more slowly) by attendance and merchandising.

No, if that happened, we'd be almost guaranteed larger gates once Lanky United started progressing. Make for a good derby too! In fact, I'm all for it.

And they should redevelop Deepdale as their new home ground (I've always liked the name, sounds like an Elven city from some book :) )

It's the way of things, if we had a close rival team interest in the area would go up, followed (more slowly) by attendance and merchandising.

AArrgghhh, does this man know what he's saying?

• 10 months later...

Got to agree with the go and fight real crime sentiment.

Its a consumer society, the premier league are not short of a few quid, in fact it's the foreign TV rights money that goes to the clubs in the end.

Fact is a lot of people are disillusioned with football, anything the working class man can do to get one over on the greedy and questionable money grabbing merchants currently running football the better.

As for Rovers, it’s a shame we are short on middle class flunkies around the Blackburn area to make up the numbers like other clubs isn't it? (sarcasm)

Wahey one more to the little working class man!

If you want your club to be around in 20 years time then turn up and fill the stadium.

.....and if the club want the club to be around in 20 years time , learn the lesson - stop persecuting the pubs and aggravating their regulars . It's only going to prove counter productive .

Oh ..and tell the police to do some real crime fighting for a change .

See you at Ewood on Sunday Eddie .... :rolleyes:

So they should just allow it to continue knowing full well that it is both illegal and a factor contributing to why people don't attend the games? If the clubs are unwilling to cooperate then it is the only way.

See you there Phil.

So they should just allow it to continue knowing full well that it is both illegal and a factor contributing to why people don't attend the games?

Yes .

I would be a hypocrite if I said no because I always go out and watch the away games at the pub :tu:

To be honest , Eddie , I put the interests of the pubs before that of the club in this instance . They're not having a good time at the moment and I still believe live footy is overpriced . Sattelites aren't going to go away ; it's going to be more readily available to everyone in their homes , let alone the pubs fairly soon . The clubs will just have to live with it .

As for the illegality of it all - I simply don't care . Diverting a few quid from the pockets of Murdoch into the pub landlord's pocket is not my idea of breaking the law .....

Yes .

I would be a hypocrite if I said no because I always go out and watch the away games at the pub :tu:

To be honest , Eddie , I put the interests of the pubs before that of the club in this instance . They're not having a good time at the moment and I still believe live footy is overpriced . Sattelites aren't going to go away ; it's going to be more readily available to everyone in their homes , let alone the pubs fairly soon . The clubs will just have to live with it .

As for the illegality of it all - I simply don't care . Diverting a few quid from the pockets of Murdoch into the pub landlord's pocket is not my idea of breaking the law .....

Would you not go to the pub then if the games weren't on? I struggle to believe that anyone who regularly goes to the pub to watch games only goes because of the football. If they had gone to the game they probably would go to the pub after. The only real solution to this sort of problem is to use an American style system where the game isn't shown within a certain distance of the ground, but that is now virtually impossible with the various sources of tv.

As for diverting money from Murdoch to the pub landlord, you aren't. The foreign tv will have legally purchased the rights to the game, so the big guys will have got their cut. The only thing you are doing is taking money away from the club. If you think live footy is overpriced at the current prices that our club is charging then you'll never be satisfied. I'm sure the majority of those who skip the game to sit in the pub spend just as much, if not more, in the pub then they ever would have at the match. It's a poor excuse.

More to the point, if you want to encourage clubs to take steps to reduce prices you have to reward them when they do, if not they won't see the point. If you think paying an average of 15 pounds for a game (or whatever you can get now) is too much and there isn't a sufficient increase in attendances to make up for the reduction in price then the club will simply increase the prices in the long run.

I'm not going to be really critical of anyone choosing to go to the pub or any pub running the risk by showing it, but if you are caught then I don't think you have a leg to stand on really. I certainly wouldn't do it.

Got to agree with the go and fight real crime sentiment.

Its a consumer society, the premier league are not short of a few quid, in fact it's the foreign TV rights money that goes to the clubs in the end.

Fact is a lot of people are disillusioned with football, anything the working class man can do to get one over on the greedy and questionable money grabbing merchants currently running football the better.

As for Rovers, it’s a shame we are short on middle class flunkies around the Blackburn area to make up the numbers like other clubs isn't it? (sarcasm)

1. Have you or anybody you know ever downloaded any music / games / films illegally Oscar? It's much the same argument.

2. Anyway if there are lots of people disillusioned with football as you suggest then they wont miss the game being banned from the tele will they?

3. Can you define 'working' and 'middle' class please? They are terms that should be long gone and consigned to the history books. imo most people you prob deem to be middle class do actually work hard for their 'ill-gotten gains', whilst sick notes have more work in em than huge traunches of people that you prob deem 'working' class.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.