SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Killing Us!

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eh? What question. And whats sad?

Good grief. Here's the question I posed in my earlier post - again.

Yet you continue to think that just because you've come up with a daft idea you somehow possess the gift of foresight and wisdom. In that case, I'll ask again, how exactly would your idea attract higher attendances to Ewood (or wherever "Lancashire United" are supposedly going to play)? Because imo, ignoring the practicalities of your idea for now (and there's a lot to ignore), a merger/takeover of any local clubs would just serve to alienate the fans of those clubs - thus reducing crowds, not increasing them. Now, you can get as upset as you want, but until you can answer that question with a reasoned argument then your idea means sweet fa.

QUOTE(AggyBlue @ Sep 21 2006, 12:52 )

The only problem I have is dealing with the grief from mancs or scousers at work over our crowd size.

Spot on AB. It is the mancs and scousers who keep on about our crowd size. Although I silenced the City fans when I asked where all THEIR support had gone.

My answer was here all the time scotty in the first paragraph. If you can't be arsed to read my posts then it's very SAD.

As for your last sentance have you never heard of a 'Think tank'? Never heard of inventors or ideas men? Many see the way forward although they may not know the nuts and bolts of the proposal. I'm not saying my idea is the best but it's without doubt the best yet, although our resident Ostriches will never agree! (Soon to be Dodo's perhaps :huh: )

Anyway enough of me lets hear you have a go please. Lets hear how you propose to move BRFC forward from our current position of relative strength to a vibrant, healthy and self sufficient future. And btw thats a question that I shall in turn ask you every time you come over all smarmy gobshite with me.

Now I've explained my position will you have another go at the second paragraph.

Edited by thenodrog

It is the mancs and scousers who keep on about our crowd size.

It's because they can't believe it. Blue supporter mates of mine were astounded they could take upwards of 5000 away from home and the gate was only 22K.

I was asked to reply Ben.

What are you apologising for... must be going soft.

As for that LU theory Gord, it's the old 'shared ground on Merseyside' debate. It makes all the financial sense in the world but it will NEVER happen.

You are probably correct AS but as with that shared ground fiasco in Lpool it will be to the long term detriment of all. Lancashire will always be a footballing 'hot bed'.............. of minnows. :(

The only man who had the ability, charisma and wherewithall to pull it all together died 5 years ago.

Oh and btw.......... Fkuc off Ben2000. Butt out and mind your own effin business! There is that more like AS?

Edited by thenodrog

Gord, would you support Lancashire United? Would you wear their colours, travel religiously to their stadium and go mental when they score? Genuine question. I know you're thinking from a business perspective, but isn't the business aspect of football the very thing that is turning fans off anyway?

My answer was here all the time scotty in the first paragraph. If you can't be arsed to read my posts then it's very SAD.

Now I've explained my position will you have another go at the second paragraph.

But that's no answer at all. You're the one who constantly posts on here saying that you've got the answer to our attendance problems. I'm giving you the opportunity to tell us all what that answer is and how it will work. Share your wisdom with us so we can all be blessed with you're knowledge and foresight. Or just admit you haven't a ####### clue.

And I've already explained that I haven't got an answer. I'm not naive enough to think that there is a simple solution.

Gord, would you support Lancashire United? Would you wear their colours, travel religiously to their stadium and go mental when they score? Genuine question. I know you're thinking from a business perspective, but isn't the business aspect of football the very thing that is turning fans off anyway?

You're not really expecting a straight answer are you? :lol:

At work on Monday morning, the first thing each of the 4 lapsed Rovers I talked to brought up about the game was Paul Gallagher scoring. Might seem odd but the lack of affinity with any of the players is a major underlying issue.

Think back five years and we had a terrific core of young lads (Jansen, Duff, Johnson, Dunn, Bent, Curtis, Taylor) and good honest pros (Friedel, Short, Berg, Flitcroft). You'd turn up and see some good exciting football played by players who seemed to love or at least thoroughly enjoy playing for the club

Over the past few years we've no doubt lost that - only Tugay, Friedel and Savage appear to give two hoots. I'd venture that we'd get better gates if we were in the Championship with a team made up of local lads.

IHB, like it or not, the minute the big clubs break away from the Premier league, is the minute clubs like rovers disappear back to the days of 5000 gates. It's only the Prem money that differentiates us from the rest of the similar sized clubs.

I don't believe that would be so - especially as the Rovers have the trust money to keep us punching above our weight - in a league without the Sky money it would be worth more . For every fan that is now feeling , like Paul , that the fans are just suckers to be screwed for their money by the suits and players , ther is a genuine fan who would return under the right conditions .

The right conditions , for me , are the removal of Arsenal , Chelsea , Man Utd , Liverpool from the prem league into a Euro league . Let them take their high salaries , Sky and the dodgy agents with them . At the risk of sounding like a "loser" let them take any potential conglomerate businesses like Lancashire Utd with them . Just leave us with the traditions and rivalries of real FOOTBALL clubs ; there's plenty of them out there who'd be ready and willing to play in a new league where they might , just might have a chance of winning something . Get rid of the big stars , the big egos and keep players' salaries at a reasonable level and interest would go .

The only trouble is that the Euro league would inevitably fail because the inter club rivalries are just not there - there's no tradition to build on . That's the reason why Gordon's plan is doomed from the start did not Confuscius say "...never build on sand " ? :unsure:

Cycling is my other big leisure activity. It gives me enormous pleasure, more than watching Rovers at present. My road club goes out on a Sunday morning for 6-7 hours, meaning I have to chose between this and Rovers for nearly every other game as I simply can't get home in time to do both.

Be imaginative , Paul - you could do both . Get BRISA to suggest a cycling track round the ground.... :tu:

Just out of curiosity, is anything happening about the live screening of matches?

It does seem that the collapse in Rovers' support has coincided with games being available in pubs, the 50 minute highlight programme and the drummers.

I think the other reasons such as lack of local lads is somewhat peripheral to the argument. If it were true we would have seen a massive loss of support when Duff and Dunn were transferred but that season was well within trend.

I'd venture that we'd get better gates if we were in the Championship with a team made up of local lads.

Absolute complete and utter nonsense bing. Us old gits have been there don't forget. Blackburn kids will just start supporting MU, Lpool and Chelsea. They want fashionable high profile winners as heroes, not bit part poor relations. It's horrendous.

It does seem that the collapse in Rovers' support has coincided with games being available in pubs

And wine bars overlooking the warm waters of the Med. :rolleyes:

That's the reason why Gordon's plan is doomed from the start did not Confuscius say "...never build on sand " ? :unsure:

Get it right Phil. Thats the Walls of Jericho and it's in the bible.

Edited by thenodrog

In answer to your questions...

1. Definitely.

2. No. Cos I don't do colours now.

3a. Yes

3b No cos I don't go mental now. I find a quick cheer and standing applause sufficient.

4. No the wages have been just as indecent and immoral to the ordinary supporter since the early 60's.

btw bellers The answer from my lad would be a loud yes to all except the last question, and bear in mind it's the kids who are the future of football in this area. It's the kids who would also adapt quickest cos they are free of any silly and irrational nostalgic hang ups about the good old days and trams, and red brick, and sitting around the perimeter fence, and hooped socks, and busses back to the bouli, and flat caps and mufflers, and rattles, and ziga zaga, and fighting on cinder paths, and changing ends at half time, and HT scores in letter form (to make you buy a prog), and Sports Pinks instead of media phone ins, and HT brass bands, and crushes to get out .....etc. :rover:

a big FAT NO!!! TO ALL FOUR....

personally id rather got to 3 broncos games instead

In answer to your questions...

1. Definitely.

2. No. Cos I don't do colours now.

3a. Yes

3b No cos I don't go mental now. I find a quick cheer and standing applause sufficient.

4. No the wages have been just as indecent and immoral to the ordinary supporter since the early 60's.

btw bellers The answer from my lad would be a loud yes to all except the last question, and bear in mind it's the kids who are the future of football in this area. It's the kids who would also adapt quickest cos they are free of any silly and irrational nostalgic hang ups about the good old days and trams, and red brick, and sitting around the perimeter fence, and hooped socks, and busses back to the bouli, and flat caps and mufflers, and rattles, and ziga zaga, and fighting on cinder paths, and changing ends at half time, and HT scores in letter form (to make you buy a prog), and Sports Pinks instead of media phone ins, and HT brass bands, and crushes to get out .....etc. :rover:

I appreciate the answers tnr. I wasn't trying to be facetious or anything.

I'd find it extremely hard to come around to your viewpoint. I've been to a variety of sporting events, and almost without fail had to commit to a certain 'home team' to really enjoy it. I need that emotional attachment to be well and truly fulfilled by sport. That isn't to say that I can't appreciate things on a neutral level, but I can only really give it 90%.

I can support Europe nervously during the Ryder Cup, or Lancashire during the cricket, Belle Vue during Speedway etc. It isn't the same as Rovers, and that's purely because I love football much more than the aformentioned. Could I support a different Speedway team if I moved house? Yes, because I'm such an occasional viewer that it has never impacted on my life. Could I love another football team as a direct replacement for Blackburn Rovers? No. There's too much history of my attendence there, and I'm only 20 years old.

I'd imagine you'll find there are more people like me than like you. Again, not trying to point-score, it's just what I honestly think. I'd be very surprised if this messageboard or the public of Blackburn disagreed.

Lot of irrationality about it all isn't there Bellamy? Ever noticed the ease at which we all convert from supporting GB at the Olympics to England in the commonwealth games? It really is all in the mind. Ever wondered what became of the people who supported Blackburn Olympic? Did they adapt to supporting BRFC or did they simply end up waiting to die all bitter and twisted? Check it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Olympic_F.C.

Note the reference to John Lewis.

Edited by thenodrog

I think also supporting England against all other European countries in the Euro championships, yet when the Ryder Cup comes up you become proud to be European and support them is an interesting point to consider...

i think lancashire united would get a lot of support in the long term, if your talking ten years down the line after all the wounds healed and so on. But in the short term it would suffer a huge loss of crowds, merely on principle so many people wouldn't turn up to support a club that would be seen as killing what was their club. And this would result in the club completely failing to benefit for the anticipated revenue boost that would be expected to ccur.

If football executives thought there was an appetite within the fan base for club almalgamations to work it would have already happend by now. Think Bristol- large city, two @#/? football clubs, clearly theoretically a massive boost in support and revenue could occur if the clubs joined forces, hasn't happend. Same story in East Lancs, yorkshire, the black country.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.