Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers And Bung Inquiry

jim mk2

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical Panorama journalism that will have most people who don't think about the program taking everything naratted as gospel and jumping up and down.The only solid evidence of anything on that program was an unknown 16 year old being illegally offered to both Chelsea and Liverpool. Even then there's no guarantee the meetngs were even set up to discuss the young lad. The meeting could have had another agenda and the agent just brought it up.

I always thought there were bungs and corruption going on. The fact Mike Newell had nothing really to gain and everthing to lose by saying so convinced me. Panorama did not.

Edited by Hasta

Typical Panorama journalism that will have most people who don't think about the program taking everything naratted as gospel and jumping up and down.The only solid evidence of anything on that program was an unknown 16 year old being illegally offered to both Chelsea and Liverpool. Even then there's no guarantee the meetngs were even set up to discuss the young lad. The meeting could have had another agenda and the agent just brought it up.

I always thought there were bungs and corruption going on. The fact Mike Newell had nothing really to gain and everthing to lose by saying so convinced me. Panorama did not.

Very well said. I think for those with their eyes open its blatantly obvious that there are some very shady happenings in the world of football, but unfortunately the panorama programme didn't even scratch the surface (although granted, it would be incredibly hard to do so).

All the programme has done has trivialised the situation by leaving out so many clubs and names involved, and focusing so narrowely on a couple of incidents without even providing sufficient evidance for prosecution.

Now really was there any need for the gap? :tu:

Talking of gaps take a look at the following on transfer fees receivable in respect of the 2003-04 season

£'000

28,589 Cost of disposals

(19,518) Amount amortised

--------

9,071 Net book value of players sold

7,668 Profit on Sales

--------

16,739 Proceeds of Player Sales

Principle sales that season - Damien Duff, David Dunn, Keith Gillespie, Craig Hignett, John Curtis, Sebastian Peltzer, Corrado Grabbi, Martin Taylor, Alan Mahon, Nils Johansson, Dwight Yorke and Andrew Cole.

Just taking the first two on the list I thought we received £15.5m and £5.5m for them alone. OK I might have got one or two of the list in the wrong year and there may have been one or two golden goodbye payments but the figures above taken from Rovers own accounts do not stack up or we paid an absolute fortune to agents

Can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong in my calculation or where the missing millions have gone to?

Oh how I laughed when it mentioned Lucas Neill.

I rubbed my hands in anticipation when Neill's name was mentioned.

In fairness it gave an insight into what could be happening in the world of football but never really delved into the concrete evidence of it all. It would be interesting as to whom the manager was who got really scared and pulled out of the meeting. If it was Souness, then that clip would have to have been before February 2006 as he was sacked on the 2nd of that month. However a few of his deals could be cast a doubt over, esp George Weahs cousin, but the Scouts can play an important part into persuading a manager to sign a player.

I don't think that there should be a reaction to Andy Tood about the manner in which his agent implied about him going stale. I feel that his agent had taken this out of context and felt maybe with Todd being a fairly high profile player he has on his list, it could have been a good deal to kick-start for this new agency. I'm sure Andy didn't ask for this and also his agent might have rang him what about Blackburn....

AGENT: Thats two games in a row you've missed out on!! How do you feel Andy?

TODD: Yeah, could be better mate. Don't know why I've been dropped

AGENT: You need to be careful you don't become stale and I'll look into this for you

TODD: Yeah cheers mate. I apprecaite it.

At the end of the day MOST agents are mainly looking after themselves and not the players situation or well-being. Andy might have thought that his agent was going to call Blackburn and see what the situation is or indeed what Hughes' makes of it, but in fact he could be waiving his player around to ensure he copes at least £100,000 out of the transfer.

But on the downside, I feel that the media should have stayed well clear of this, but I suppose how were they meant to know. If the FA contact them and say there is an investigation going on, then I'm sure a few reporters have their own contacts in football and could have relaid on the message for the agents to be careful.

Personally I feel that in due course, those identified in the programme should be sacked and stripped of all their badges and qualifications and not allowed to represent any player or club in Britain again. Good work by the BBC and it was just very unfortunate that further evidence wasn't gathered.

Is it just me, or does anyone feel slightly detached from this now? I mean if we still had our old manager I think we'd be at the very least, nervous, but (and I could be wrong) I just feel that Mark Hughes has too much integrity for us to be bothered by it.

Enjoyed the clip of Gartside desperately trying to offload Okocha whilst publically insisting he wasn't for sale. And I bet you thought you could trust everything all Chief Executives said!. :huh:

Otherwise the show was fairly disappointing,with no actual evidence of any wrongdoing uncovered at all save for Allardyce's gormless son (who reminded me of Peter Kay in a docuspoof) allegedly receiving irregular payments from the odious prat who apparently represents Todd and Neill.

No surprise Neill is playing silly buggers with that guy "advising" him and receiving 150k upwards for the privilege if the player does move.

The bit about Kevin Bond apparently proposing that Portsmouth deal only with the fictitious sting corporation on the right financial terms also struck a chord given that a certain ex manager of ours primarily seemed to have transfer dealings with one particular agent - Willie Mckay.....................

There but for the grace of god etc.

Did Newell spill his guts?

Newell was shown the programme during which there were two distinctly dodgy agents who featured prominently, black guys one based in London, one in France. They insinuated there would be seven or eight Premiership managers who would be interested in taking bungs.

Newell excitedly identified one of them, the one based in London I think as being someone who had offered him money.

I dozed off during the programme so I'm not 100% sure about which managers were named by Panorama, There are a few posts in this thread that mention names that I don't think were included in the Panorama programme, for the time being I've hidden those posts so that only admin/mods can see them. Once we've had a chat the posts will either re-appear or stay hidden.

Apologies to the members concerned, please be patient on this one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.