BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dowie Wins The Sack Race

philipl

Charlton's comments regarding Dowie: Ouch! A few select quotes from the article;

'This is not just about results,' said Varney

If they were in 6th place do you think they would have done the same?

There is an element of what Iain said in his interview which didn't happen in reality

Accusing him of lying are they?

Varney also admitted the fact Dowie is being taken to court by Palace chairman Simon Jordan over his switch to The Valley was also a massive problem.

Did they not think that was going to happen? Especially after what Jordan said when Dowie left.

It looks like something dodgy went on behind the scenes. I think Charlton have ball$ed up this one. It stinks of typical football club directors getting on a power trip and blaming everyone but themselves for the situation they find themselves in.

Charlton have appointed Les Reed as their new coach.

They persevered with Curbishley for 15 years, let Dowie spend £11.2m in the summer, gave him 12 weeks of the new season, fire him and appoint his deputy as his successor.

Odd.

There was a suggestion in the Daily Telegraph today that Charlton had changed direction from being a club who spent very little on the transfer market to one who had heavily backed the new manager and had spent a high percentage of future earnings and were getting very jumpy at the prospect of being relegated.

i still need convincing over dowie's credentials. apart from a superb 1st 6 months at palace, which he deserves credit for, he hasnt really achieved an awful lot.

Did a great job at Oldham.

Some of his signings in the Premiership were strange though - for Palace and Charlton.

Did a great job at Oldham.

Some of his signings in the Premiership were strange though - for Palace and Charlton.

Real shitter picking up Johnson for peanuts and flogging for 8 million ;)

But yes, how he thinks he could improve what Curbs did paying money for Amdy Faye and Traore ( 2 mill, better deal than Kuqi possibly ) . Hell all Dowie had to do was look at his wikipedia profile to know what he was buying with Faye

'after 1 and a half very disapointing seasons for Newcastle United (in which he frequently gave the ball away, failed to win the ball, failed to get a single shot on target, was unable to block a tame shot, never made an intelligent run, ran like a headless crow, etc.)'

Dowie is a mixture of Souey and Mick Mcarthy, good at getting a coca club club promoted and prem club relegated,poor with large sums of transfer money but shrewd when hes skint.

It looks like something dodgy went on behind the scenes. I think Charlton have ball$ed up this one. It stinks of typical football club directors getting on a power trip and blaming everyone but themselves for the situation they find themselves in.

Totally agree speeeeeeedie. Considering that they admitted to giving him part of next season's budget for transfers (just before the transfer window ended i think) this shows a massive turnaround in thinking. Why were they confident enough to give him next season's budget now, yet sack him a few games later, when the results have been better?

What he did with Oldham in their situation was awesome, and he started very well with palace, but his signings for Charlton have been very odd to say the least. His next club will make or break the man's career.

I like Jordan too! Very good business man - and seems to have a hatred of Big Club.

What's this? A Left-Winger liking a business man! That CANT be right. ;)

Charlton's comments regarding Dowie: Ouch! A few select quotes from the article;

'This is not just about results,' said Varney

If they were in 6th place do you think they would have done the same?

There is an element of what Iain said in his interview which didn't happen in reality

Accusing him of lying are they?

Varney also admitted the fact Dowie is being taken to court by Palace chairman Simon Jordan over his switch to The Valley was also a massive problem.

Did they not think that was going to happen? Especially after what Jordan said when Dowie left.

It looks like the main reason for getting rid in a hurry was so they would not get dragged into the court case and possibly have to compensate Palace.

Edited by Fife Rover

Philip,

I wish you had chosen a different title! I run a Prediction League with 12 other Rovers fans and we meet every July for the "awards"evening.We have various categories, one of which is First managerial casualty of the season.I have awarded 10 points to 8 people for their answer of O`leary; am I right or wrong??

Real shitter picking up Johnson for peanuts and flogging for 8 million ;)

But yes, how he thinks he could improve what Curbs did paying money for Amdy Faye and Traore ( 2 mill, better deal than Kuqi possibly ) . Hell all Dowie had to do was look at his wikipedia profile to know what he was buying with Faye

'after 1 and a half very disapointing seasons for Newcastle United (in which he frequently gave the ball away, failed to win the ball, failed to get a single shot on target, was unable to block a tame shot, never made an intelligent run, ran like a headless crow, etc.)'

Dowie is a mixture of Souey and Mick Mcarthy, good at getting a coca club club promoted and prem club relegated,poor with large sums of transfer money but shrewd when hes skint.

trevor francis signed aj as part of the clinton morrison to big club move, not ian dowie im afraid mate

• 6 months later...

"Lying Dowie deliberately deceived Crystal Palace"

Palace Chairman Simon Jordan today won his court case against Iain Dowie. A High Court judge ruled that Dowie lied when he negotiated out of his Crystal Palace contract last year. Mr Justice Tugendhat said that Dowie was freed from his contract on the basis of "fraudulent misrepresentations" which led Palace to waive a £1m penalty if he joined a rival club.

Dowie left Palace last summer saying he wanted to be closer to his family in Bolton. But days later he turned up at Charlton, a club just a few miles east of Crystal Palace. The judge said that Dowie made "representations of fact which were knowingly false" and that the £1m clause would not have been waived if the club knew he was planning to join a rival London club.

Simon Jordan told Sky Sports today: "I think it's a good day for football because contracts and what people do and say in football, are very important. I think that having the courage of your convictions to take it to the High Court and bring an action to prove fraudulent misrepresentation - and be successful in proving it, is a good thing. So I'm pleased from that perspective."

Dowie of course isn't the first person within football, and he certainly won't be the last, to tell lies. Although Craig Bellamy didn't lie to get himself out of a contract, he certainly did lie to Rovers fans in an interview with the Lancashire Evening Telegraph when he insisted that there was no clause in his Rovers' contract and that Mark Hughes wouldn't have allowed him to have one.

Players and managers tell so many porkie pies these days that it's nice to hear that in Iain Dowie's case he's been proven to be a liar at the High Court. As Jim Royle might say: "Closer to the family in Bolton, my arse..."

• 7 months later...

Dowie sacked again

Even though Coventry thrashed us 4-1 at Ewood Park and beat Man United 2-0 at Old Trafford, the Coventry City directors appear to be concerned with their position in the Championship table, where they're currently four points above the relegation zone.

Dowie was in charge at Coventry for just under a year. His sacking might seem a bit harsh, considering he had little money to spend, but I can't say I've got a lot of sympathy for Dowie after the lies he told to get out of his Crystal Palace contract.

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

Worth remembering I was split between wanting Dowie and Hughes when the Rovers appointment was being made.

Doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened had Dowie got the nod....

When I saw the PNE result, I immediately thought curtains for Dowie. Sad that Tim Flowers got the chop as well.

Nah, you're just concerned about your bet modes ;)

Me and Ricky at least. :rover:

Although £80 is reliant upon Man Utd winning the PL as well, so that's not looking as good as it did this time last week. Still a cheeky ton would come in handy.

Edited by modes98

Dowie's "old-fashioned" managerial style got him the sack

It's not the first time that Dowie's "old-fashioned" managerial style has apparently got him the sack. The BBC's football editor Mihir Bose says that it wasn't actually football results which got Dowie the sack at Charlton.

Instead, Dowie was given the boot at The Valley as a result of a two-week internal inquiry by the Charlton chief executive into Dowie's conduct - which allegedly included ranting and raving not just at players, but at other members of staff at the club. There was found to be serious dressing room unrest and disquiet at the club during Dowie's brief period in charge at The Valley.

Alan Curbishley was given fifteen years at Charlton, but Dowie was given just fifteen games there before he was sacked.

Worth remembering I was split between wanting Dowie and Hughes when the Rovers appointment was being made.

The Rovers board certainly made the right decision in appointing Hughes.

A link to the points Mihir Bose has made about the reasons for Dowie's sacking at Charlton is below. This man could have been a disaster at Rovers if he had become our manager instead of Hughes.

Results had nothing to do with Dowie's departure.

• 2 months later...

"QPR set to unveil Dowie as manager".

I'm surprised that a supposedly ambitious club like QPR, with rich owners and plenty of money available, appear to have chosen this failed managerial dinosaur to take charge at Loftus Road.

Mr Dowie was sacked from his last two jobs at Coventry and before that at Charlton, where he was dismissed after an internal inquiry into his alleged behaviour and conduct at the club.

Dowie also left Crystal Palace under a cloud. A judge at the London High Court ruled that Dowie had lied when negotiating his way out of his Palace contract. Dowie claimed that he wanted to spend more time with his family in the north of England, but just days after leaving Palace he buggered off to Charlton, seven miles up the road.

When Dowie was sacked at Coventry the club were languishing in 19th place in the Championship, just four points above the relegation zone. The Coventry chairman said that he wanted to work towards "a more progressive and modern way of operating" - indicating that he wasn't happy with Dowie's old-fashioned managerial methods.

I'm surprised that Messrs Briatore, Ecclestone and Mittal at QPR seem to have chosen a lying manager who in his last job at Coventry struggled near the bottom of the Championship with an old-fashioned style of management.

Ecclestone is worth about £2.5 billion while the Indian chap Lakshmi Mittal is the world's fifth richest man, with a cool £28 billion - wealthier than Abramovich. The Italian Flavio Briatore is the pauper of the trio, with only £60m. How does the poor guy survive?

One would have thought that this trio of businessmen would have had the money (and the brains) to have appointed somebody better than Dowie - a proven liar and a failure in his last couple of jobs.

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.