BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dowie Wins The Sack Race

philipl

Two pieces of speculation on my part-

Has the Crystal Palace Court case been settled? That might have thrown up some injudicious remarks by Dowie which were leaving Charlton looking down Simon Jordan's gun barrel metaphorically speaking.

The Charlton board probably has a different composition now to the one which slumbered through donkey's years of Curbishley. The Spanish investors who are putting seriously big money into expanding the Valley to over 40,000 capacity are probably getting a bit nervous about the stats for Championship crowds.

At the end of the day, any club that has a horrible end of season run in the preceding season usually ends up relegation fodder the next season. I thought Charlton's close season transfer activity looked pretty decent and I was a fan of Dowie as a Manager but it could just be that extremely dire performance from Charlton v Rovers at the end of last season in Curbs' send-off game (close to the worst performance by any Prem team I've seen) simply underlined the total lack of class in the Valley playing staff Dowie inherited.

Of course by a strange coincidence, the Charlton v Rovers tickets went on sale today. We all know the script all too well....

Edited by philipl

Yep, he was mine too. Show's what I know :blink:

Joining the queue of the contrite, he was my first choice to replace Souness when he buggered off to Newcastle. (Sturrock had fallen in my estimations by then).

I must say, I reckon whoever picks up Dowie next (probably a Champ club whose grand ambitions are hanging around their ankles right now) will pick up a good manager. What he did at Oldham and Palace was very impressive with limited funds and teams languishing - even if it went a little sour at the end.

I'm not sure why he failed at Charlton. I don't know if others agree but I just don't think he was ever comfortable at his new club - for reasons unknown. I know we're only seeing things from the very extremities of the outside (having strangely no great interest in the goings ons at Charlton) but little things, like his post-match interviews, just indicated me that here was a man unsettled.

Someone said to me that he doesn't have the 'aura' to command the respect of prima donna Prem footballers, despite being a good coach. Perhaps there's something in that.

He bought some awful players while at charlton though! Traore and Faye! What did he expect.

Souey wanted Traore remember. You know what they say about great minds...?

Yeah, that's right, 'aren't made of cheese.'

Edited by rover6

Lasted fewer games than Curbishley had years.

Was my marginal preference for the Ewood job last time round. Good job the Board made the choice and not me!

Mine too, well I was split between him and Nigel Worthington. Bloody good job I'm not running things down at Ewood.

to be fair, whoever took over from curbs had an almost immposible job on their hands!

dowie's signings were not the best and didn't help the cause though and with all the stuff with jordan was banging the nails in his coffin.

in this day and age, bad results costs money and the players won't get sacked so the manager is the scapegoat!

Unless there has been friction behind the scenes then it looks a poor decision. Only one loss in the last five games and not in that poor a state. A win in the next match could see them out of the relegation zone and they have a League Cup quarter final (the furthest they have ever been in that competition) to look forward to.

Dowie might have got them into a decent league position, they didn't give him the time to prove it. The Charlton board better hope the club doesn't go down as it will be their fault if they do. Three managers in six months means their reputation is on the line.

apparently their is a vacancy in Notre Dam, two gargoyles have fallen off the ancient walls and Dowie is the only person that fits the bill pf the ugliest of ugliest.

simon gaylord jordan will be laughing his permatan off

Not quite Ricky...

Jordan slams 'gutless' Addicks

I like Jordan - he's a vain, perma-tanned gobby idiot but his Guardian columns are interesting and funny - which is worth a lot considering the number of thick ex-footballers whose comments we are subjected to by the media!

Edited by FourLaneBlue

I like Jordan - he's a vain, perma-tanned gobby idiot but his Guardian columns are interesting and funny - which is worth a lot considering the number of thick ex-footballers whose comments we are subjected to by the media!

I like Jordan too! Very good business man - and seems to have a hatred of Big Club.

He can make his move North now. :)

maybe to put the fire out at newcastle. that's about as far north as he could go.

i still need convincing over dowie's credentials. apart from a superb 1st 6 months at palace, which he deserves credit for, he hasnt really achieved an awful lot.

he was being hailed as a 'footballing mastermind', by the southern media and most football pundits :huh:

his short spell at charlton will damage his repuation, in the short-term, so... he'll just have to prove he's got "bouncebackabilty." :)

Odd.

It's hard not to suspect that there must have been some arguments and maybe some other bickering we don't know of. As dodgy as some signings were and although it's been a poor start it does seem too soon to be sacking a man who they'd only just allowed free rein with the cheque book.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.